Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Who is/is not Flying Now On UA in the COVID era? Why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who is/is not Flying Now On UA in the COVID era? Why?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2020, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Taking my first flight since February HNL-SFO-LAS on Oct 22. LAS-SFO Nov 1. SFO-HNL Nov 3.

When you live on a 40x18 mile island - sometimes you need to get away. My timing is simply I can test to avoid quarantine upon arrival back to Hawaii which I could not stay at home 14 days previously. Will ramp up monthly trips while I can test out of quarantine. I give the program 50/50 to make it to the end of the year.
First time I stayed a week on Oahu, took a drive around the perimeter of the island. Makes you realize just how (relatively) small it is and how isolated it can feel.
Hope the trip goes well.

I am travelling almost weekly again now for work. Short UAX hops back and forth between CVG and EWR. Flights are more crowded, I get the "your flight is expected to be full" message almost every time. But no better options exist, so kind of pointless. With cases increasing across a lot of the country, wonder what this fall / winter will look like for air travel. I am so ready for a scientific, effective, comprehensive approach from government. Long overdue.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 11:02 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
My United flying is way down this year.

2020 YTD:
AA: 77
DL: 43
UA: 17

Compared to 105/88/57 of the same airlines in 2019. Part of it is that I've booked United on trips that got scrapped but more accurately it's been a combination of how many fewer flights UA has to RDU and how many schedule changes I've had on them that's made flying UA untenable.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 12:25 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
I'm wondering, with the surge in cases, if anyone is changing their flying frequency. I took a few flights in Sept/Oct, but with all that's going on I've decided that I'm done with the potential exception of HI due to the testing prerequisite.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 2:02 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by wunderpit
I'm wondering, with the surge in cases, if anyone is changing their flying frequency. I took a few flights in Sept/Oct, but with all that's going on I've decided that I'm done with the potential exception of HI due to the testing prerequisite.
Or the opposite: We were considering changing our flying frequency from none to some, but now we're not changing & continuing not to fly.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had a conference call this past week where the pre-meeting topic of conversation was how everybody was tired of staycations and were starting to book holiday travel.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 2:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TomMM
I had a conference call this past week where the pre-meeting topic of conversation was how everybody was tired of staycations and were starting to book holiday travel.
Agree 1,000% -- Everyone is massively fatigued.

he general opinions I've heard on flights lately is that "We did what they asked and it didn't work / They don't know what they are doing and now it's gotten political / They don't know what to do now anyways -- Time to start living again we listened and it didn't work... Fool me once shame on you -- fool me twice shame on me..."

These opinions are especially severe on my UA flights -- I wonder if it is because of the extreme focus on "safety" - i.e. no bottle service, no real food, no real drinks, awful pre-packed food -- unlike other airlines....
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TomMM
Great! Where are they planning to go?

Most countries are starting a new round of lockdowns, have restrictions on visitors etc.

The numbers are spiking in many parts of the US as well.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
After a 9-month hiatus we will fly SFO-ASE in December (using miles) to celebrate Mrs B’s birthday at the St Regis. Not thrilled to be packed onto a small plane but it’s a short flight and the infection rate for SF-based passengers is pretty low.

For summer 2021 we have 4 SFO-TLV business class award seats reserved. Hopefully international travel will be feasible with pre-flight testing (if not a vaccine) but who knows. The beauty of miles is that I have $0 tied up with airlines.

was considering Hawaii or Mexico for Xmas but no reason to risk in-flight contamination to see places I’ve visited many times. Maybe for spring break.

Zero business travel - some places I miss, some I don’t.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by malgudi
Great! Where are they planning to go?

Most countries are starting a new round of lockdowns, have restrictions on visitors etc.

The numbers are spiking in many parts of the US as well.
I heard PIT/LAS/Colorado. Others going to see family. Not everybody is a FT world traveler.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
It'll be, I think, four flights total for me in 2020. All of them on DL. I continue to prefer a connection on DL with a middle seat or adjacent seat empty over a nonstop on UA packed to the gills.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 4:51 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I have been flying but the third(?) wave is concerning. My parents are in Sydney and the Winter was brutal for the spike - that is relative in terms of a spike as Australia (with the exception of Victoria) has done a good job of minimizing the infection spread. Europe is looking bad for the spread.

I have a flight in a couple of weeks and am seriously considering canceling it and driving.

I do have flights booked for next Summer to Europe as I think if United expands the COVID pre-flight tests this will help. I am also considering a flight to the UK in Spring if United expands the preflight testing and LHR accepts that for entry.

I think people will choose to decrease flying over Winter, but i could be wrong. As someone else commented the United flights are packed.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Smile

I have flown 136 domestic segments on UA this year with roughly 100 since last March. No changes in frequency planned for this FF. Gotta keep hustling and making the $$$

I feel a lot better with the recent studies that classify flying as a low-risk activity.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 7:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
.... I continue to prefer a connection on DL with a middle seat or adjacent seat empty over a nonstop on UA packed to the gills.
Wonder how much long DL will hold out with WN and AS B6 abandoning the "blocked seat" concept.

Both DL and AS have extended to 6 Jan 2021

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 1, 2020 at 5:59 pm Reason: B6 not AS
Old Oct 31, 2020, 7:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Wonder how much long DL will hold out with WN and AS abandoning the "blocked seat" concept.
I don't believe long -- it's more a PR program to get people to appear to be safer and agree to travel -- and it seemed to be effective for a while -- then Boeing and UA proved that airplanes --even packed ones -- are just about the safest place for people right now....

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 1, 2020 at 5:44 pm Reason: let's leave the science discussion for Coronarvis forum
Old Oct 31, 2020, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Wonder how much long DL will hold out with WN and AS abandoning the "blocked seat" concept.
Believe they’ve committed to it into the new year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.