Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 17, 2020, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Debating the value of masks is not appropriate for the UA forum -- we will discuss the UA requirements, enforcement and/or compliance. The value of masks is not UA specific issue (and not airline industry-specific either) and is best discussed elsewhere in a more universal format

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

.22 April UA to provide "Social distancing" by blocking middles from advance seat assignments -- note middles can be assigned for those traveling together or at the gate if needed ... example notice and COVID-19: What we're doing to keep customers and employees safe

20 May 2020 United Launches United CleanPlus: A New Standard of Cleanliness and Safety in Partnership with Clorox and Cleveland Clinic ... (post)
"allowing customers to take alternative flights when we expect a flight to operate over 70% capacity." is included in the above announvement
Also NSRA not allowed if above 70%

15 June 2020 United Airlines Strengthens Onboard Mask Policy to Further Protect Passengers and Employees Against COVID-19 Spread ... (post)

July 2020 -- appears UA has dropped blocking pre-assignment of middles, still notifying if 70% booked

20 July -- "Traveling is different now, but we're still committed to your safety What to expect when you travel next", e-mail

22 July -- United Extends Mask Requirements to Airports

17 August 2021 -- TSA to extend transportation mask mandate into January (18, 2022)

Print Wikipost

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2020, 1:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jamesinclair
Im looking to fly between EWR and BOS. My options are Jetblue and United. Jetblue is only selling 70% of the plane. ....
Be aware B6 is gradually going back to 100% booking. 70% til 1 Dec 2020, 85% til 7 Jan 2021, 100% afterwards
Old Nov 12, 2020, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
Depends on your dates. ExpertFlyer should give you decent information if your flights are relatively soon. United is selling 100% of the aircraft though, so there's no guarantees.

Honestly, if you want maximum distance, taking the Acela might be the best option. If someone sits near you then you can always get up and move somewhere else.
Unfortunately the cheapest Acela tickets are $180+ one way.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Be aware B6 is gradually going back to 100% booking. 70% til 1 Dec 2020, 85% til 7 Jan 2021, 100% afterwards
Thanks, this would be for Nov 22
Old Jan 22, 2021, 10:10 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Just got an alert, UA CEO wants to make vaccination mandatory for employees.

Prelude to requiring passengers to be vaccinated, at least for international flights?
Old Jan 22, 2021, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
UA is also wanting to mandate vaccine for all employees
cmd320 likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 22, 2021 at 11:49 am Reason: move to existing discussion
Old Jan 22, 2021, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
UA is also wanting to mandate vaccine for all employees
Maybe more appropriate for a Covid thread, but what is wrong with that?
FLYMSY, Xyzzy and FlytheTail like this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exp
Just got an alert, UA CEO wants to make vaccination mandatory for employees.

Prelude to requiring passengers to be vaccinated, at least for international flights?
My guess is that most countries will start requiring evidence of a vaccine for entry very soon.
VRFast likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Bear96
Maybe more appropriate for a Covid thread, but what is wrong with that?
That's for employees themselves to decide.
Dyce and cmd320 like this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 11:41 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rjque
My guess is that most countries will start requiring evidence of a vaccine for entry very soon.
Depends on how you define "very soon" but I'd expect it to be fairly comprehensive in 6-9 months with countries who have already vaccinated a significant portion of their populations will be on the leading edge of that wave.

I can't imagine many sane governments not thinking that that was a good idea
Old Jan 22, 2021, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Depends on how you define "very soon" but I'd expect it to be fairly comprehensive in 6-9 months with countries who have already vaccinated a significant portion of their populations will be on the leading edge of that wave.

I can't imagine many sane governments not thinking that that was a good idea
It's just speculation on my part, but my guess is that we will start seeing it much sooner than that, perhaps as early as February. I suspect countries that have kept this under reasonable control, like New Zealand, will be among the first to implement such a requirement.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's for employees themselves to decide.
What about when foreign countries start requiring inbound flight crew to have been vaccinated?
FLYMSY and wavid like this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What about when foreign countries start requiring inbound flight crew to have been vaccinated?
Except flight crew only make a portion of UA's workforce.

UA's desire to mandate ALL employees a medical decision is a huge slippery slope.
Dyce likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Except flight crew only make a portion of UA's workforce.

UA's desire to mandate ALL employees a medical decision is a huge slippery slope.
To what?
Old Jan 22, 2021, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems like a smart decision, especially for flight crew, customer-facing workers, or those who work in concentrated or tight areas (e.g. call centers, baggage handlers). This will also make customers more confident about the safety of flying. (Yes, I know it's not 100.0% guaranteed that a vaccinated person cannot transmit the virus, blah blah..)
FLYMSY, SPN Lifer and wavid like this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To what?
Off the top of my head: lawsuits arising from those with disability and/or religious beliefs; claims (e.g. workers comp) due to side effects and adverse reactions.

Unless required for entry, UA should encourage and incentivize its employees to vaccinate (similar to the approach AA and WN have taken); mandate would add a ton of complications and costs.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 3:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Off the top of my head: lawsuits arising from those with disability and/or religious beliefs; claims (e.g. workers comp) due to side effects and adverse reactions.

Unless required for entry, UA should encourage and incentivize its employees to vaccinate (similar to the approach AA and WN have taken); mandate would add a ton of complications and costs.
I'd imagine quite a large liability. What happens if a worker is forced to take the vaccine, has some sort of reaction, etc. and ends up dead? Now that falls directly on the hands of UA/Scott.
Dyce and Repooc17 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.