Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 17, 2020, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Debating the value of masks is not appropriate for the UA forum -- we will discuss the UA requirements, enforcement and/or compliance. The value of masks is not UA specific issue (and not airline industry-specific either) and is best discussed elsewhere in a more universal format

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

.22 April UA to provide "Social distancing" by blocking middles from advance seat assignments -- note middles can be assigned for those traveling together or at the gate if needed ... example notice and COVID-19: What we're doing to keep customers and employees safe

20 May 2020 United Launches United CleanPlus: A New Standard of Cleanliness and Safety in Partnership with Clorox and Cleveland Clinic ... (post)
"allowing customers to take alternative flights when we expect a flight to operate over 70% capacity." is included in the above announvement
Also NSRA not allowed if above 70%

15 June 2020 United Airlines Strengthens Onboard Mask Policy to Further Protect Passengers and Employees Against COVID-19 Spread ... (post)

July 2020 -- appears UA has dropped blocking pre-assignment of middles, still notifying if 70% booked

20 July -- "Traveling is different now, but we're still committed to your safety What to expect when you travel next", e-mail

22 July -- United Extends Mask Requirements to Airports

17 August 2021 -- TSA to extend transportation mask mandate into January (18, 2022)

Print Wikipost

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2020, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
The county health board has total authority over any lounge offering food/beverage services...(snip)

I understood the UA policy applied to onboard plus any airport space that they owned or leased - a check-in area, or a lounge would certainly fall into that category.
Agree 100%
Old Oct 11, 2020, 4:54 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
I understood the UA policy applied to onboard plus any airport space that they owned or leased - a check-in area, or a lounge would certainly fall into that category.
That is certainly the way the policy reads and my (and my wife's) understanding prior to pointing out non-compliance to UA employees (and the supervisors on duty) and receiving the consistent responses I mentioned above along with the customer care 'yeah, we can't/won't actually enforce that except on-board' responses.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 5:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
That is certainly the way the policy reads and my (and my wife's) understanding prior to pointing out non-compliance to UA employees (and the supervisors on duty) and receiving the consistent responses I mentioned above along with the customer care 'yeah, we can't/won't actually enforce that except on-board' responses.
You previous posted referred to non-own UA gates, have you gotten that response for UA own / hub gates?
Old Oct 11, 2020, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You previous posted referred to non-own UA gates, have you gotten that response for UA own / hub gates?
As it turns out UA doesn't own any gates -- hub or otherwise -- so the language in the CS responses "This policy cannot be enforced in the gate areas which we do not own we rent. We can only enforce this policy onboard our 'aircraft." is quite instructive... and mirrors subsequent interactions I've had with UA agents (but not bothered to continue bashing my head against the wall by sending followup emails)

From United's Form 10-K

United’s principal facilities relate to leases of airport facilities, gates, hangar sites, terminal buildings and other facilities in most of the municipalities it serves with its most significant leases at airport hub locations. United has major terminal facility leases at SFO, Washington Dulles, Chicago O’Hare, LAX, Denver, Newark Liberty, Houston Bush, Hopkins International Airport and Guam with expiration dates ranging from 2016 to 2041. Substantially all of these facilities are leased on a net-rental basis, resulting in the Company’s responsibility for maintenance, insurance and other facility-related expenses and services.
E.g. For DEN... "United’s current 40-year lease with the city runs through the end of February 2035, according to city documents." (from a Denver post article referencing UA wanting to add 24 gates to its existing lease of 66 gates on concourse B) If you're really interested in the club specifically, Exhibit A-1 to the Special Facilities and Ground Lease between UA and Denver. "This component includes two identical completed 17,185 square foot Red Carpet Club Rooms located in Concourse B"

For LAX "September 17, 2013 - Board Resolution No. 25244 - approval of the First Amendment to the Amended and Restated Terminal Facilities Lease and License Agreement (Lease) for space in Terminals 6, 7, and 8. "

For IAH "Owner: Houston Airport System, Tenant: United Airlines (30-year lease)" (Terminal B) and this interesting, if somewhat dated 3D visualiztion of lesed areas http://www.houstonareagisday.org/map...EASE_STUDY.PDF

Etc.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
So in your actual experience, UA has declined gate mask enforcement at the leased hubs?
There have been a few responses of some enforcement at the hubs.
We all know the unreliability of email CS responses.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
So in your actual experience, UA has declined gate mask enforcement at the leased hubs?
There have been a few responses of some enforcement at the hubs.
We all know the unreliability of email CS responses.
I, personally, have not spent enough time in a hub since all of this started to have a reliable sample (my average inbound arrival to outbound departure since March has been about 45-50 minutes which when you have to get from high-C to high-F at ORD, handle biological needs, etc. doesn't leave much time for people watching, certainly not to the degree I'd feel comfortable flagging something as a mask violation/lack of enforcement. My wife, however, on a trip this week had a similar encounter at one of the hubs.

If it were just the CS email response I'd discount it but given that every UA employee I've interacted with has been singing from basically the same hymnal I'm going on the totality of the circumstances at this point.

Unfortunately many of my trusted contacts have been affected by the buy-outs or furloughs so I don't have a good back channel to verify what the enforcement directives actually are, but I'm of the impression that any in-terminal enforcement is employees going above/beyond and not officially sanctioned.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
As it turns out UA doesn't own any gates -- hub or otherwise -- so the language in the CS responses "This policy cannot be enforced in the gate areas which we do not own we rent. We can only enforce this policy onboard our 'aircraft." is quite instructive... and mirrors subsequent interactions I've had with UA agents (but not bothered to continue bashing my head against the wall by sending followup emails)

From United's Form 10-K

For LAX "September 17, 2013 - Board Resolution No. 25244 - approval of the First Amendment to the Amended and Restated Terminal Facilities Lease and License Agreement (Lease) for space in Terminals 6, 7, and 8. "
Fyi, UA at LAX pulled out of T6.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 1:52 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
And below is on the app.

Note they show a Polaris cabin, which is good as it gets on a full plane, in terms of spacing.”almost zero” instead of “almost non-existent”.

Does anyone here KNOW how the filtration system works on a UA plane????? Unless if comes from the floor and exits directly overhead of each passanger, I can't see how it filters out a lot of viruses.I suspect that the air comes and leaves the cabin at several key points and that that air that is being ducted out has been blown/pulled past multiple passengers before exiting to the filters. I hope I am wrong,
Old Nov 5, 2020, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Vulcan
Does anyone here KNOW how the filtration system works on a UA plane?????
This is a good read from Boeing

https://www.boeing.com/confident-tra...BoC1YkQAvD_BwE
Old Nov 5, 2020, 3:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
It depends on how the system is being maintained, and how often the filters are changed - and that is completely on the airline.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
It depends on how the system is being maintained, and how often the filters are changed - and that is completely on the airline.
I think it is fair to say it is not in any airlines best interest to have COVID run rampant on a flight. Given we are 8+ months into this it does not seem to be a problem.
artvandalay likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Vulcan
Does anyone here KNOW how the filtration system works on a UA plane????? Unless if comes from the floor and exits directly overhead of each passanger, I can't see how it filters out a lot of viruses.I suspect that the air comes and leaves the cabin at several key points and that that air that is being ducted out has been blown/pulled past multiple passengers before exiting to the filters. I hope I am wrong,
Moved your query to were this has been extensively discussed -- the HEPA fliteration system standard in all mainline aircraft

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload...ature=youtu.be

use "HEPA" to search this thread for more
Old Nov 11, 2020, 11:31 am

United Airlines Now Using New Clorox® Electrostatic Sprayers to Disinfect Airport Terminals

Clorox® Total 360® System sprays solution that is EPA-approved to kill SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19
New cleaning measure used at 35 airports to disinfect surfaces in ticketing lobbies, terminals, gate rooms and employee spaces
Video(1)

CHICAGO, Nov. 11, 2020 /
-- As part of the United CleanPlus commitment to enhancing safety for travelers both onboard and at the airport, United Airlines is now using the Clorox® Total 360® System to disinfect terminals at 35 of the airline's busiest airports. This electrostatic spraying system is similar to the electrostatic spraying technology used onboard aircraft and will be used to spray surfaces in ticketing lobbies, terminals, gate rooms, employee spaces and United Club locations. The disinfecting solution is EPA-approved to kill SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. Through its United CleanPlus program, United has been working closely with Clorox and the Cleveland Clinic since early May to consult on all its cleaning and disinfection protocols. The airline currently uses Clorox Disinfection Wipes on all mainline aircraft and in United Club locations.

"At the beginning of this pandemic, we laid out our United CleanPlus commitment of putting health and safety at the forefront of the travel experience," said Mike Hanna, senior vice president of airport operations at United. "In teaming up with Clorox, we've worked with their experts to enhance our cleaning procedures and roll out state-of-the-art products throughout the United journey to give our greater customers confidence when they travel. This is just one of many steps we are taking as part of our layered approach to safety."

"Throughout the pandemic, we've worked with United to help enhance the safety of their travelers with disinfecting protocols and products, as part of United's holistic approach to traveler safety," said Heath Rigsby, vice president of out of home for The Clorox Company. "We're proud to extend these efforts to help passengers even before boarding their planes by using our Total 360 System to disinfect surfaces within busy airport settings."

Click here for additional visual assets.

The Clorox® Total 360® System charges and atomizes the Clorox disinfecting solutions to deliver a powerful flow of charged particles that attract to surfaces with a force stronger than gravity. This allows the product to reach and uniformly coat germ-prone surfaces, including areas that conventional trigger sprays may easily miss. United expects all 35 airports will be using the systems every night beginning in early December and plans to expand to additional airports in early 2021.

Using Clorox products is only one of the ways United is working to enhance customer safety in its airports. The carrier is also providing antimicrobial gloves to Ramp and Baggage Service employees to offer an additional protection layer against SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. Every ramp and baggage service employee will receive a pair of washable, reusable gloves that are effective for up to six months. Additional measures United has taken since the start of the pandemic to create a safer environment in its airports include:
  • In April:
    • United began installing hand sanitizer stations throughout terminals and plexiglass dividers at service areas. The airline also started placing signage around the airports to inform customers of safety measures that are in place.
  • In May:
    • United was the first U.S. carrier to introduce touchless check-in kiosks that allow customers to check-in, including if they are checking bags, without touching anything besides their own mobile device.
  • In June:
    • United became the first U.S. airline to require customers take a health self-assessment during the check-in process.
  • In July:
    • United expanded its policy requiring all customers wear masks onboard to in its terminals and stated that customers who refused to comply with this policy may be placed on an internal travel restriction list while the policy is in place.
    • United began automated text notifications to customers waiting on seat assignments, reducing touchpoints between customers and employees.
  • Most recently:
    • United was the first U.S. airline to announce that it would offer COVID-19 tests for customers, starting with flights to Hawaii from San Francisco.
For more details on all the ways United is helping keep customers safe during their journey, please visit united.com/cleanplus
Old Nov 12, 2020, 1:18 pm

Im looking to fly between EWR and BOS. My options are Jetblue and United. Jetblue is only selling 70% of the plane. Is there any way to see how full the United flights are? Fares are the same ($35) but I get a free bag on United, vs $35 on Jetblue which doubles my price.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jamesinclair
Im looking to fly between EWR and BOS. My options are Jetblue and United. Jetblue is only selling 70% of the plane. Is there any way to see how full the United flights are? Fares are the same ($35) but I get a free bag on United, vs $35 on Jetblue which doubles my price.
Depends on your dates. ExpertFlyer should give you decent information if your flights are relatively soon. United is selling 100% of the aircraft though, so there's no guarantees.

Honestly, if you want maximum distance, taking the Acela might be the best option. If someone sits near you then you can always get up and move somewhere else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.