Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to get residual/"future flight credit" from non-refundable flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to get residual/"future flight credit" from non-refundable flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2015, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Presuming standard domestic change/cancel fee of $200:

(Value of old ticket) +$200 in new money - cost of new ticket = debit/credit due.

As others note, the fact that you pay the fee in new money rather than as a reduction of the credit only matters when the value of the old ticket < new.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 9:09 pm

Please can someone clarify: I have a non refundable round trip ticket that I need to cancel completely.
(1) Do I need to call United to cancel, or can I do this online?

(2) If it is a $550 ticket, and $400 of that was a VDB voucher, and the remainder paid by credit card, does that make a difference in residual value?

(3) Do I need to retain the original booking number to use if I reschedule a flight?
Old Mar 27, 2015, 11:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Amicus
Please can someone clarify: I have a non refundable round trip ticket that I need to cancel completely.
(1) Do I need to call United to cancel, or can I do this online? ...
Online will work

... (2) If it is a $550 ticket, and $400 of that was a VDB voucher, and the remainder paid by credit card, does that make a difference in residual value? ...
You will have to request a reissue of the VDB ETC.

... (3) Do I need to retain the original booking number to use if I reschedule a flight?
The PNR id and the ticket number both should be retained.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Online will work

You will have to request a reissue of the VDB ETC.

The PNR id and the ticket number both should be retained.

Thank you kindly. ^
Old Apr 10, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
Using cancelled flight credit

I helped a friend cancel her flight because she was ill. There isn't much credit but how does she find it to use it - or does she have to call when she books a new ticket?
Old Apr 10, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: UA 1K
I believe the credit stays with the original flight confimation number. Might be a good idea to call and use that to confirm then ask agent if that is not the case.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 11:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
It will show-up in the "Cancelled" or "Inactive" tabs in your friend's MP account, under "Manage Reservations". She should just click "Change Flights" when she wants to use it.

Last edited by zombietooth; Apr 10, 2015 at 2:51 pm
Old Apr 10, 2015, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
Thanks!
Old May 14, 2015, 8:39 am

What are the restrictions on United when cancelling a nonrefundable flight?

If I cancel a United flight, from what I understand I can use the value of the ticket toward a future flight, but I'll have to pay a fee of $300. But what I can't seem to find out is

- Does the future flight have to be the same departure/arrival airports?

- Does the value of the ticket expire (e.g., after a year?)

- Can I apply the value of the ticket toward any future flight (perhaps with the restriction in the first bullet), or do they restrict to a small subset of future flights?

Maybe there's a page somewhere that explains all this, but I can't find it after searching both the United website and Google.
Old May 14, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by milb
Maybe there's a page somewhere that explains all this, but I can't find it after searching both the United website and Google.
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...nd.aspx#tabs-4

It's not 100% of what you're asking for, but it's a start.
Old May 14, 2015, 9:36 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
If I cancel a United flight, from what I understand I can use the value of the ticket toward a future flight, but I'll have to pay a fee of $300. But what I can't seem to find out is

- Does the future flight have to be the same departure/arrival airports?

- Does the value of the ticket expire (e.g., after a year?)

- Can I apply the value of the ticket toward any future flight (perhaps with the restriction in the first bullet), or do they restrict to a small subset of future flights?

Short answer. It is like "cash on deposit" that you can only use for a ticket. But any ticket to anywhere. It must be used within one year. The amount of the "penalty" might be $300, but it might be less and it might be a little bit more. The new ticket will "become" non-refundable, even if you buy a refundable fare type.

Does that help?
Old May 14, 2015, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You didn't ask but it is worth noting that the value can only be used for the same named passenger. If the new ticket purchased is cheaper than the "stored value" of the old ticket you will receive a TCV credit for the balance which can be used by anyone, but the initial rebooking must be for the same person as the original trip.
Old May 14, 2015, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by sbrower
Short answer. It is like "cash on deposit" that you can only use for a ticket. But any ticket to anywhere.
Presuming the original ticket is unflown/unused.

It must be used within one year.
It must be exchanged within 1 year of original date of issue.

The new ticket will "become" non-refundable, even if you buy a refundable fare type.
Not the new ticket, rather the original amount of funds remains non-refundable.

If you had a $600 non-refundable ticket, paid the change fee and turned it into a $1,000 refundable ticket. Then later changed that $1,000 refundable ticket to an $800 ticket, you'd get a $200 refund. But if you instead changed the $1,000 refundable ticket to a $500 ticket, you would get a $400 refund and a $100 credit.
Old May 14, 2015, 9:54 am

Thanks for all the answers!

One thing that I forgot to ask: If the original ticket is one-way, can I change it to a round-trip ticket, or only to one-way ticket?
Old May 14, 2015, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Thanks for all the answers!

One thing that I forgot to ask: If the original ticket is one-way, can I change it to a round-trip ticket, or only to one-way ticket?
Doesn't matter. You can change it to anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.