Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Schedule Change(Back to 2hrs)/Cancelation Refund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2020, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is UA's guidance to TA's (on Jetstream) on re-scheduling

Additional parameters for flights impacted by schedule changes for United-operated flights
  1. Non-stops may go to connecting flights, and connecting flights may go to non-stops
  2. Connecting hub may be changed
  3. If original day of departure is unavailable, may depart 7 days prior to or after original departure date. If outbound flight is impacted, subsequent flights on same itinerary may be changed to maintain original length of trip.***
  4. Alternate airports within a 250-mile radius of the original origin or departure airport***
    • Change may apply to origin and destination, but must be changed at the original time of ticket reissue
    • Customer is responsible for any additional expenses incurred
**United Basic Economy fares booked in "N" class must remain in "N" class when eligible for self-service rebooking due to unacceptable schedule changes or irregular operations. If "N" class is unavailable, please contact United’s Customer Contact Centers for assistance. Rebooking into an ineligible booking class may result in the issuance of a debit memo. For non-Basic Economy fares, do not rebook into "N" class.

***Continuing or return travel dates may be voluntarily changed on UA segments only in the original inventory class to maintain the original length of stay prior to the re-accommodation. Changes to the return flight must be in the same PNR and be made in the same transaction as the re-accommodation of the outbound flight. The change fee and add/collect will be waived for changes made to the return (original class of service only).

Unacceptable (UA): Misconnecting itinerary | Change to originally scheduled arrival or departure time of at least
+ / - 30 minutes
Options Change to alternate UA flight (same origin and destination and original operating carrier or carrier permitted as noted in fare rule)

Unacceptable (UA): Change to original arrival or departure time of 2 hours or more | Flight(s) canceled with no protection| Flight goes from non-stop to connection Options Change to alternate UA flight with same origin and destination and original operating carrier or carrier permitted as noted in fare rule, or travel agencies can refund through ARC, BSP, GDS.

Related thread: Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one

Archive: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...d-archive.html

Print Wikipost

Schedule Change(Back to 2hrs)/Cancelation Refund

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2021, 12:25 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
So a reduction in total trip time by 2 hours would also qualify for refund, as would a 2-hour increase?
Old Jan 31, 2021, 12:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by exp
So a reduction in total trip time by 2 hours would also qualify for refund, as would a 2-hour increase?
No
Total trip time is not the metric
Change to original arrival or departure time of 2 hours or more or canceled flight with no protection
You could have a departure 1:30 earlier and an arrival of 1:30 later, for a trip time change of 3 hours that would not qualify.

The metric is change of departure time or change in arrival time -- if either exceeds 2 hours.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 12:51 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
OK so you arrive 2 hours earlier than the original itinerary.

Or depart 2 hours later than the original itinerary?

Those would count?
Old Jan 31, 2021, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by exp
OK so you arrive 2 hours earlier than the original itinerary. ...
2 hours or more earlier or 2 hours or more later

Originally Posted by exp
Or depart 2 hours later than the original itinerary?...
2 hours or more earlier or 2 hours or more later

Originally Posted by exp
Those would count?
Yes as modified
Old Feb 2, 2021, 5:09 pm

United has informed me that a flight I had booked has changed with a departure time nearly five hours earlier than my original flight. The email tells me I am eligible for a change or cancellation. However this was an award flight and I'm already eligible for no cost award redeposit provided I do so at least 31 days before departure. It's 56 days until my departure.

Does the new flight change anything about my options as far as cancellation? Do I have more time to cancel the flight without penalty? Do I have any new options now that I didn't have prior to the flight change? Thanks for any help.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by time_stamp
... Does the new flight change anything about my options as far as cancellation? Do I have more time to cancel the flight without penalty? Do I have any new options now that I didn't have prior to the flight change? ....
Two things come to mind
1) you would have move time to make the cancellation. The 31 days requirement would be moot
2) If you make a change of the itin, you could argue that if the mileage required increased, that UA should waive the "fare different" -- however this would probably only work for a change of 7 or less days from the present itin
time_stamp likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
1) you would have move time to make the cancellation. The 31 days requirement would be moot
Thanks for the reply. Does this mean I have until day of departure to cancel my flight and get a no fee rewards redeposit?

Last edited by time_stamp; Feb 2, 2021 at 5:29 pm Reason: precision
Old Feb 2, 2021, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by time_stamp
Thanks for the reply. Does this mean I have until day of departure to cancel my flight and get a no fee rewards deposit?
Theoretically yes -- at the risk of another schedule change that puts you back within 2 hours.
Generally I recommend against last minute changes that could have been done earlier.
time_stamp likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 10:02 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Executive, Hertz PC, National EE, IC Diamond Ambassador, ALL Gold, Hyatt Disc
Question: I was booked JFK to SFO on 2/28 in PY which is no longer happening as far as I'm aware. Given that there is no alternative United flight out of JFK as far as I am aware, what would they normally do in this situation? A switch to EWR would be ok but there is nothing with PY scheduled except in the morning in a 78X which would be an origin airport and time change of around 9 hours. The changes have not yet been uploaded into the system so when I just called I was assured the flight is still operating and it is just "sold out" due to the "limited bookings" that are now allowed due to COVID?? Not sure where that reasoning came from.

I am leaving on my outbound tomorrow so I was hoping to have all this squared away before the trip but sounds like that won't be the case until the next schedule update (over the weekend?). I will be patient and wait for the change and see what is proposed, however just looking for any insight as to what would normally be done in these scenarios in case I get a run around when I call again.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by roadman3313
Question: I was booked JFK to SFO on 2/28 in PY which is no longer happening as far as I'm aware. Given that there is no alternative United flight out of JFK as far as I am aware, what would they normally do in this situation? A switch to EWR would be ok but there is nothing with PY scheduled except in the morning in a 78X which would be an origin airport and time change of around 9 hours. The changes have not yet been uploaded into the system so when I just called I was assured the flight is still operating and it is just "sold out" due to the "limited bookings" that are now allowed due to COVID?? Not sure where that reasoning came from. ...
A typical first step is to zero the flight before removing it. Presently the SFO flights are still in the GDS, just zero'ed out. That is what the phone agents are seeing. The actual removal from schedule will likely not happen until late Friday night

Originally Posted by roadman3313
I am leaving on my outbound tomorrow so I was hoping to have all this squared away before the trip but sounds like that won't be the case until the next schedule update (over the weekend?). I will be patient and wait for the change and see what is proposed, however just looking for any insight as to what would normally be done in these scenarios in case I get a run around when I call again.
The agents likely have not been told of the cancellation, there isn't much they can do until it is dropped from the schedule. Give it another 24-36 hours and then the agents will have a clear indication

Once you have that, you should be free to change to a return flight to EWR in the same original fare class. You will be allowed +- 7 day change and 100 mile radius change of airport
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 4:33 am

Getting refund for cancelled ticket?

I had a flight booked for last March, which I cancelled thanks to COVID. I did this after United issued a waiver so that was all cool.
At the time I was told I couldn't get a refund, just an ETC which I took expecting to use pretty soon. Oh how naive I was :-)
In hindsight I've been told by several folks that I should pressed to get a refund which I was entitled to.

Does anyone have any feelings on if it might be possible to go back to United and press for a refund? I was GS in 2020 which they extended through this year, if that matters.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Did you cancel or did UA cancel? If UA cancelled then you can get a refund, even if you were pressured to accept an ETC at the time. GS should be able to help with that.

If UA operated the flight and you used one of the waivers ... then you get an ETC which is valid for 2 years, so hard to believe as a GS you won't find use for it.
SPN Lifer and Often1 like this.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 7:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Who cancelled the flight? UA or OP?
Old Mar 18, 2021, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
Who cancelled the flight? UA or OP?
Sounds like to me the cancellation was initiated by the OP.

Originally Posted by Aloomatar
I had a flight booked for last March, which I cancelled thanks to COVID. I did this after United issued a waiver so that was all cool.
At the time I was told I couldn't get a refund, just an ETC which I took expecting to use pretty soon.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 10:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If UA cancelled, OP was entitled to a refund or a credit as he chose.

If OP cancelled, he is entitled to a credit.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.