Old Jan 24, 2020, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
By 2023, UA has returned to the more traditional pre-COVID schedule update process. There are still some closer in changes but far less than during the COVID era.

UA publishes a schedule for 330 days in advance (called Beginning of Schedule) and in the past would make tweaks quarterly and things would be fairly settles 3-4 months out. Updates would occur Friday evening / Saturday morning (Chicago time). Routine additions could occur anytime.

Present updates are every Friday and sometimes mid-week usually focused on the next month and farther out.
Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one

20 Oct 2021
Originally Posted by EWR764
In the earnings call today, UA noted that has been transitioning back to its 'normal' (pre-pandemic) 90-day schedule load process, which should be complete in the very near future.
However, during the COVID era, UA has gone to a more dynamic and shorter-term setting of schedule (as has the other carriers). Presently UA, while UA is still publishing a schedule for 330 days in advance it reflects pre-COVID operational levels and is considered just a placeholder schedule. Then 3-5 weeks prior to a month, UA makes a major update of that month's schedule.

Examples (Major updates)
The October 2020 schedule was updated 4-5 September 2020
The November 2020 schedule was updated 2-3 October 2020
The December 2020 schedule was updated 30-31 October 2020
Holidays can move the major date a week earlier or later.
Weekly updates are still generally done over night Friday-Saturday (Chicago)

UA does not publish a summary of most schedule changes but a variety of sources below do and summaries / links of those sources can be found in this thread & wiki.



Always crosscheck with UA's Travel Notices , Coronavirus (COVID-19) travel waivers and information, www.united.com/coronavirus as the situation is dynamic


Other Resources and Statistics
Archive: COVID19 UA-Schedule {Archive}
new Archive : UA-Schedule changes {Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA System Schedule changes

Old Jan 5, 2023, 10:27 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 76
UA System Schedule changes

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
Updates to April occurring this evening. I have a handful of flights move by a matter of minutes.

...But placeholder Air Wisconsin flights are still alive and well. Figured they'd be dropping off soon with their UA ops winding down in March--but still alive and well.
I'm about to book a flight in June that has an Air Wisconsin leg still on the schedule. Im assuming thats going to be changing soon but Im curious as to when. I really cant wait for the CRJ 200 to finally be gone
tstauck likes this.
cubs105 is offline  
Old Jan 6, 2023, 10:48 pm
  #2  
Used to be MBS PremExec
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Saginaw, MI (MBS)
Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Posts: 5,720
Originally Posted by cubs105
I'm about to book a flight in June that has an Air Wisconsin leg still on the schedule. Im assuming thats going to be changing soon but Im curious as to when. I really cant wait for the CRJ 200 to finally be gone
I'm wondering this too. I have a lot of travel in March/April, including several segments showing as ZW flights as well. I know that won't be the case, and curious if my airport gets back some -550 or 175 service like we had last year, or if they just become SkyWest CRJs. Surely hoping for the former! Heck, I'd even take these allegedly beat-up and 'uncomfortable' Mesa -900s that are coming to UA this spring!

And since this is the thread...More updates to April occurring tonight. While my Air Wisconsin flights are still Air Wisconsin flights as I mention above, I had a few mainline changes by a few mins here and there and some insignificant 319s change to 320s--or vice versa.
MBS MillionMiler is offline  
Old Jan 8, 2023, 7:46 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 225
I am looking at UA flights within the US as part of a larger trip. I notice that there were significant changes to the options a few weeks ago, which seem to have been reflected a bit earlier in this thread. If I book now for early March, is that soon enough that the schedules are likely to stay about the same, or is there a risk of further significant change within the last couple of months? I understand there could be irregular ops on the day, but ideally I don't want to pay a bit extra for a hub-to-hub flight on a 787 and then get changed in advance to an A320 or 737 with possibly less convenient timing.
BernardBlack is online now  
Old Jan 8, 2023, 10:32 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 5,139
Early March should be relatively settled at this point, but IMO hub-to-hub internationally configured widebodies are relatively vulnerable to closer-in (1-2 months out) changes, as those aircraft could easily be repurposed for their true mission, long-haul international flying.
jsloan likes this.
dkc192 is offline  
Old Jan 8, 2023, 10:45 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 225
Thanks, dkc192.
BernardBlack is online now  
Old Jan 12, 2023, 3:54 pm
  #6  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: GVA (Greater Vancouver Area)
Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Posts: 52,059
Significant (3-5 hour) schedule changes today for a May trip. All the United options are terrible, but other options are even worse. United seems to be really trimming down service to and through the midwest.
mahasamatman is offline  
Old Jan 12, 2023, 4:01 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TOA
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posts: 20,061
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Significant (3-5 hour) schedule changes today for a May trip. All the United options are terrible, but other options are even worse. United seems to be really trimming down service to and through the midwest.
So much for some CEO's much vaunted predicted 2023 growth and recession-proofedness.

David
DELee is offline  
Old Jan 12, 2023, 10:30 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: HNL
Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 6,447
Originally Posted by DELee
So much for some CEO's much vaunted predicted 2023 growth and recession-proofedness.

David
They didnt deploy the aircraft elsewhere? Just parking them?
Lux Flyer likes this.
HNLbasedFlyer is offline  
Old Jan 13, 2023, 10:28 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 2,207
Originally Posted by DELee
So much for some CEO's much vaunted predicted 2023 growth and recession-proofedness.

David
Without any further context that is an extremely premature conclusion to draw based on a single 3-5 hour schedule change. There are plenty of routes that experience large schedule changes like this, especially if they are low frequency as is (which a handful of midwest locations tend to be). That is the difference on a once a day route between a 7am departure getting shifted to 10am or vice versa. Or a RON for an aircraft being shifted to the hub from the outstation. Even if this is a reduction in service to that particular midwest city (which we don't know that it is, given no further context), without seeing what they're actually doing with the equipment, that doesn't give any indication about overall "2023 growth and recession-proofdness". A reduction in frequency could be counteracted by a change in equipment to still maintain capacity, how do we know it's not two devil chariot frequencies (or any regional aircraft) being replaced by a mainline aircraft? Again, very premature to draw your conclusion based on the post you were replying to. It sounds like since "other options are even worse" this is just an already poorly served market and isn't a good indication for whether there is growth system wide as a whole. Schedule changes are often to redeploy aircraft/schedules to where the growth actually is.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Lux Flyer is online now  
Old Jan 13, 2023, 12:23 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TOA
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posts: 20,061
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Without any further context that is an extremely premature conclusion to draw based on a single 3-5 hour schedule change. There are plenty of routes that experience large schedule changes like this, especially if they are low frequency as is (which a handful of midwest locations tend to be). That is the difference on a once a day route between a 7am departure getting shifted to 10am or vice versa. Or a RON for an aircraft being shifted to the hub from the outstation. Even if this is a reduction in service to that particular midwest city (which we don't know that it is, given no further context), without seeing what they're actually doing with the equipment, that doesn't give any indication about overall "2023 growth and recession-proofdness". A reduction in frequency could be counteracted by a change in equipment to still maintain capacity, how do we know it's not two devil chariot frequencies (or any regional aircraft) being replaced by a mainline aircraft? Again, very premature to draw your conclusion based on the post you were replying to. It sounds like since "other options are even worse" this is just an already poorly served market and isn't a good indication for whether there is growth system wide as a whole. Schedule changes are often to redeploy aircraft/schedules to where the growth actually is.
I responded not only to the schedule change identified by mahasamatman but the overall reductions in service across the Midwest. This is also apropos to flights for myself in the West as well which has had me shift almost all of my flights away from UA.

UA can "cherry pick" all they want. At a certain point, if they don't have the flights and connections needed, UA is losing those of us still flying for business and personal travel. UA can buy all the planes they want - if they don't have the pilots and don't fly the routes that feed their moneymakers, the moneymakers will also shrink and their fortress hub mentality will crumble.

David
DELee is offline  
Old Jan 14, 2023, 11:23 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,994
They just seem to have pulled LAX-HND in early March and rerouted via SFO. Only one UA LAX-TYO flight per day now which is surprising considering Japan is open again.
abcx is offline  
Old Jan 14, 2023, 12:01 pm
  #12  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: GVA (Greater Vancouver Area)
Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Posts: 52,059
Originally Posted by abcx
Only one UA LAX-TYO flight per day now which is surprising considering Japan is open again.
Just because Japan is open doesn't mean LAX-TYO is profitable enough for them to run more often.
SPN Lifer likes this.
mahasamatman is offline  
Old Jan 14, 2023, 12:20 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: LAX
Programs: UA
Posts: 1,515
Originally Posted by abcx
They just seem to have pulled LAX-HND in early March and rerouted via SFO. Only one UA LAX-TYO flight per day now which is surprising considering Japan is open again.
Don't forget that JV partner ANA is running 3x daily LAX-TYO
angetenar is offline  
Old Jan 14, 2023, 12:21 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,994
Originally Posted by angetenar
Don't forget that JV partner ANA is running 3x daily LAX-TYO
Yes, true.
abcx is offline  
Old Jan 15, 2023, 3:46 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 5,139
Originally Posted by angetenar
Don't forget that JV partner ANA is running 3x daily LAX-TYO
Not as helpful in some cases, e.g., when trying to upgrade from discounted fare classes or accrue BIS miles toward MM status.

In any case, the schedule now shows UA metal LAX-HND starting on 3/25, at the start of the IATA S23 season. We'll see if that date actually sticks.
SPN Lifer and cfischer like this.
dkc192 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.