Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CLE-DCA/LGA Discontinued

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2020, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Oof, I missed the memo on the Airspace lounge closing. Poor CLE!

At one time we had a US Air Club, Admirals Club, Northwest Club, Red Carpet Club.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by FreqFlyerCLE
do you have a source where Kirby said this? I don’t doubt CLE will be hubs only soon...very sad IMO. It shows that CLE loyal FFs count for nothing in UA management minds, despite loyalty (see reporting on loyal UA CLE frequent flyers here https://www.cleveland.com/business/2...rovements.html )

I would’ve thought UA would keep LGA/DCA especially since ExpressJet has crew and maintenance bases at CLE and flies ERJ145s from CLE to LGA/DCA. Guess ExpressJet is going to end up closing those CLE bases, too.

I try to be objective but EWR and ORD hubs are congested and overcrowded with many delays and cancellations. They should have kept the CLE hub. AA should have left STL alone and DL kept CVG. We need more hubs not less. Happy
ctownflyer and FreqFlyerCLE like this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by AceReport
I was recently on a CLE-EWR flight (a 175 I think) where there were 30ish GS/1K. basically all of F and E+ were full before group 1 started boarding.
Flying regularly in and out of CLE for years I can also attest to this. Upgrades with or without instruments can be surprisingly rare. Last year as GS the SFO-CLE flights I would say I had just over a 50% success rate with instrument applied.

It was unclear from the above but is there talk of closing the UC at CLE?? The would be a huge blow, that is one of if not my most favorite UC. It was an old President Club prior to the merger and is very nice, great staff, quiet, and never too full. I check into that club a couple of times a month and really find it hands down better than almost any UC out there.
They also made some kind of recent changes there regarding flight crews. Something about now being able to base out of CLE so not sure what that would mean as far as UA presence in CLE, perhaps someone knows more about this change.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
I asked United and the PD reporter about this back when UA announced EWR-DCA shuttle like service. That guess turned out to be correct.

More coverage on my blog here. But in summary from United PR:

"This weekend we will be making changes to our Cleveland schedule and routes that serve the New York City and Washington D.C. metro areas by adding larger aircraft to New York/Newark and Washington Dulles respectively, and suspending service into New York LaGuardia and Washington Reagan National Airports. There will be no decrease in the overall number of seats United offers between Cleveland and these cities and in fact, we expect to increase the total number of premium seats in 2020 as a result of these changes."

"Another piece of news we shared today - we shared that we will be upgauging our flights to ORD (in addition to EWR and IAD) resulting in slight overall seat growth but additional premium seats year-over-year. We’ll also expand our current schedule of nonstop flights from CLE to Florida this spring, with new weekend non-stop flights to TPA (Tampa), FLL (Ft. Lauderdale) and RSW (Ft. Myers)."

"The schedule will change over on March 29 to the CLE service to CLE and IAD. Customers who have already purchased travel from CLE will be automatically rebooked to EWR or IAD or connect at Chicago to LGA or DCA."

This past summer and fall some days almost all IAD flights were mainline. Flights are always very full. Pulling DC flights they could add a fifth IAD flight. They already cut BOS now LGA and DCA. They promised to keep this service when the hub was closed.
AceReport likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
I wonder how much longer the CLE UC is under lease for?

Very oversized for the UA flights from CLE. Though the CLE RCC outlasted the last time UA dehubbed CLE by quite a few years.

With the Airspace lounge closing I can see the day that CLE has no lounges at all.

Why did the Airspace Lounge close.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nomad420
Flying regularly in and out of CLE for years I can also attest to this. Upgrades with or without instruments can be surprisingly rare. Last year as GS the SFO-CLE flights I would say I had just over a 50% success rate with instrument applied.

It was unclear from the above but is there talk of closing the UC at CLE?? The would be a huge blow, that is one of if not my most favorite UC. It was an old President Club prior to the merger and is very nice, great staff, quiet, and never too full. I check into that club a couple of times a month and really find it hands down better than almost any UC out there.
They also made some kind of recent changes there regarding flight crews. Something about now being able to base out of CLE so not sure what that would mean as far as UA presence in CLE, perhaps someone knows more about this change.
If I had to guess it would be that UA will keep the CLE club open (provided the lease doesn't terminate/require more $$) until it really needs a remodel. At that point they will choose to close it rather than pay for a renovation. Just a guess though.

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Why did the Airspace Lounge close.
Another guess but it's location left it somewhat hidden and I suspect that they were not getting the $$ to justify it.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by joeyE
What’s left besides the hubs?

MCO is year round

FLL and RSW are seasonal

TPA is seasonal weekend

SJU and CUN were cut.

Most service ORD,IAD, DEN,IAH,LAX,SFO
Old Jan 18, 2020, 6:09 pm

United Cleveland leases:

14 Gates expires Jan 1 2030
United Club. expires Jan 1 2030
Concourse D will be fully paid by United in 2029 when lease expires
FreqFlyerCLE and AceReport like this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by trk1
United Cleveland leases:

14 Gates expires Jan 1 2030
United Club. expires Jan 1 2030
Concourse D will be fully paid by United in 2029 when lease expires
So...UA has plenty of time to change their mind if they want to. I wonder if they ever reevaluate the decision to de-hub CLE at all - 10 years is a long time for a bunch of dead money to sit on the books(?)...
Old Jan 18, 2020, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
So...UA has plenty of time to change their mind if they want to. I wonder if they ever reevaluate the decision to de-hub CLE at all - 10 years is a long time for a bunch of dead money to sit on the books(?)...
*10 MORE years.....
Old Jan 18, 2020, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
United has de-hubbed CLE twice. I don't think they're interested in having a hub there.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by WIRunner
United has de-hubbed CLE twice. I don't think they're interested in having a hub there.

The point is United promised to keep service to key destinations. So BOS, DCA, and LGA are gone. United flew these routes 50 years ago. Delta still flies to many key airports from CVG. These cutbacks also may mean employee job loss.
I am not a fan of massive hubs to make airplanes and people and long walks to gates.
Need more medium size hubs. CVG, STL, CLE, RDU, BNA, PIT, MEM should have been kept.
ctownflyer and FreqFlyerCLE like this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 5:50 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
The point is United promised to keep service to key destinations. So BOS, DCA, and LGA are gone. United flew these routes 50 years ago. Delta still flies to many key airports from CVG. These cutbacks also may mean employee job loss.
I am not a fan of massive hubs to make airplanes and people and long walks to gates.
Need more medium size hubs. CVG, STL, CLE, RDU, BNA, PIT, MEM should have been kept.
While I do wish that UA would follow DL's lead and try to build out new focus cities / hubs, it seems clear that UA's strategy until now is to simply sit at their fortress hubs, which also happen to be in large metro areas, and grow there. It'd be nice if Kirby gave that a rethink, but it seems unlikely.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 6:03 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by nomad420

pmUA had a significant number of FAs living in the Cleveland/NE Ohio area, most commuting to ORD. With the new FA contract, they allowed those FAs, who wanted to, to join the CLE base which was mostly pmCO. Trying my best to remove all bias, I find the FAs based in CLE to be the best in UA, at least among USA bases.
nomad420 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The world has moved on. The medium sized hubs became uneconomical because of their heavy RJ reliance and smaller percentage of O&D flyers. The ULCC's have now come in to many of these former hubs and are filling a void for the O&D's leisure flyers who are just looking for cheaper fares and non-stop flights to the more popular markets and who don't really care about networks. This has already happened in Europe and now it's happening here. There's still a place in the world for the legacy network airlines, but it's going to be a smaller percentage of traffic and most leisure flyers are happy not having to pay the hub hostage rates on those airlines any more. With WN's growth over recent years, you could say they have smallish hubs in STL and BNA even though they are more O&D focused than the legacies. Being DTW based, I frequently see WN selling connecting options through them. DL apparently has enough of a business market in CVG to maintain an O&D focused hub there. However, they did completely make MEM a spoke dropping even the Florida leisure market flights from there. UA seems to have enough of a FF base at CLE to at least keep the Florida routes, but couldn't profitably make a focus city work like DL at CVG.
Often1, IndyHoosier and bman1002 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.