Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CLE-DCA/LGA Discontinued

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2020, 8:49 am
Suspended

Programs: no
in slight overall seat growth but additional premium seats year-over-year. We’ll also expand our current schedule o
Old Jan 17, 2020, 9:19 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by EWR764
The "source" was admittedly hearsay (a widely copied-and-pasted report from a conversation with a pilot late last year... I must have seen this in a dozen places so no attribution) but turned out to be right on the money on several items, in bold with my editorializing in italics:

Nothing Earth-shattering, but in retrospect it seems credible.
There's an opening for UA at Oakland. JetBlue just pulled out.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 1K
Hmm ok I do see 737-700 aircraft in the CLE IAD schedule now, is that really new? Wonder how long it will last before they switch to CRJs in response to customer feedback.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FreqFlyerCLE
I don’t doubt CLE will be hubs only soon...very sad IMO. It shows that CLE loyal FFs count for nothing in UA management minds
They may be present, but with their limited volume and spend they're not worth much.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 10:17 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by mduell
They may be present, but with their limited volume and spend they're not worth much.
CLE, for an outstation, is rather elite-heavy. It's very common for 10 to 15 or more GS/1Ks to be on morning departures and evening arrivals.
nomad420 likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
There were LGA-CLE nonstops? Who knew...
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Both DCA and LGA are slot-controlled. Additing one rotation to either means discontinuing another. The new EWR-DCA shuttle service which clearly targets a high-end market, is a good example. Had to cut something to bring that up to 11 rotations and it wasn't going to be IAH or ORD.
silverthief2 likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Often1
Both DCA and LGA are slot-controlled. Additing one rotation to either means discontinuing another. The new EWR-DCA shuttle service which clearly targets a high-end market, is a good example. Had to cut something to bring that up to 11 rotations and it wasn't going to be IAH or ORD.
That was speculated from the moment UA announced this pseudo shuttle service. Even when asked this week, the UA rep claimed he didn't know of any linkage between these developments.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
I wonder how much longer the CLE UC is under lease for?

Very oversized for the UA flights from CLE. Though the CLE RCC outlasted the last time UA dehubbed CLE by quite a few years.

With the Airspace lounge closing I can see the day that CLE has no lounges at all.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
I wonder how much longer the CLE UC is under lease for?

Very oversized for the UA flights from CLE. Though the CLE RCC outlasted the last time UA dehubbed CLE by quite a few years.

With the Airspace lounge closing I can see the day that CLE has no lounges at all.

DL has kept the MEM Sky Club even though it's only a small spoke these days (only has flights to ATL, DTW, LGA, MSP, LAX and an SLC flight starting in July)
Old Jan 17, 2020, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by xliioper
DL has kept the MEM Sky Club even though it's only a small spoke these days (only has flights to ATL, DTW, LGA, MSP, LAX and an SLC flight starting in July)
DL also honored lifetime club memberships and still has mileage based status. UA only copies DL on the negative.
AceReport likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 2:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
That was speculated from the moment UA announced this pseudo shuttle service. Even when asked this week, the UA rep claimed he didn't know of any linkage between these developments.
It's not even a question of speculation. It's arithmetic.

If UA wants to add one rotation, it has to find another to get rid of. Whether any one specific rotation relates to another is irrelevant so long as the total number stays the same and UA can handle the timings with its leased gates.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Oof, I missed the memo on the Airspace lounge closing. Poor CLE!
Old Jan 17, 2020, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
CLE, for an outstation, is rather elite-heavy. It's very common for 10 to 15 or more GS/1Ks to be on morning departures and evening arrivals.
I was recently on a CLE-EWR flight (a 175 I think) where there were 30ish GS/1K. basically all of F and E+ were full before group 1 started boarding.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 11:41 am

Programs: UA
So we know that the CLE-DCA slots were used for EWR-DCA additional flights...where do the extra LGA slots go to after they stop flying to CLE?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.