Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA needs to copy DL immediately on WiFi

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2020, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
DL spin machine in full effect! They've gotten a lot of mileage out of their free wifi pledge... it's still years away, at best, due to hardware and bandwidth limitations.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Given the fixed costs of carrying the service, I expect free slow internet and paid fast internet on all the domestic carriers. Some like Jetblue will differentiate with free fast internet. Some like Southwest will differentiate with nearly useless internet overly crippled for business purposes.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Fast wifi, good wifi, free wifi -- yu can pick any two of those.
Or you can fly United and get BOTH: Expensive Wifi & Bad Wifi.
United Wifi is Unusable / Problems Connecting to United_Wi-Fi
Miggles, Kacee and truncated like this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 1:31 pm

Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Originally Posted by mduell
Given the fixed costs of carrying the service, I expect free slow internet and paid fast internet on all the domestic carriers. Some like Jetblue will differentiate with free fast internet. Some like Southwest will differentiate with nearly useless internet overly crippled for business purposes.
JetBlue has free internet, and it's fast, but it's totally unreliable. It basically works in brief spurts interspersed with periods when it is totally nonfunctional. It makes working a nightmare. Yes, I was able to stream hours of video over it on one of my last flights, except I had to keep stopping while the satellite connection dropped. Honestly, I'd rather have slower wifi that is actually somewhat reliable - Delta's paid wifi meets that, it's pretty solid even if not streaming speeds.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by synzero
JetBlue has free internet, and it's fast, but it's totally unreliable. It basically works in brief spurts interspersed with periods when it is totally nonfunctional. It makes working a nightmare. Yes, I was able to stream hours of video over it on one of my last flights, except I had to keep stopping while the satellite connection dropped. Honestly, I'd rather have slower wifi that is actually somewhat reliable - Delta's paid wifi meets that, it's pretty solid even if not streaming speeds.
There's no one way to characterize UA's WiFi service since they use four different systems. I've had all kinds of different results but the Thales system seems the worst.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I've had all kinds of different results but the Thales system seems the worst.
Highest speeds of any of UA's wifi deployments, though.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 1:51 pm

Free wifi sounds like a great way to provide a terrible experience to everyone, instead of a moderate experience to a smaller group.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hilton HHonors, AAdvantage, Tier 8 Status - Hotel Tonight
Delta's WI-Fi is generally garbage so it might as well be free. I do think UA should've announced free WI-Fi a few years ago to have an advantage, but made DTV free instead.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I'd rather UA offer unlimited stroopwafels than free wi-fi.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:05 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
UA would be brain dead not to respond immediately and globally to DL's announcement at the CES.
(1) UA is brain dead competitively. (2) they are probably spending their time trying to figure out how to squeeze another 4"" out of the 24" wide bathrooms they are putting on the 737s...

Originally Posted by jsloan
This is the United forum, where anything UA announces is presumed to be overpromised and will never come to fruition, but anything DL announces is immediately a competitive threat. .
There is a perception that Delta is trying to improve the customer experience. United is trying to cut costs and service and benefits. As I wait for my flight on Delta's A220, with a much better seat and IFE at my seat, and restrooms I can turn around in, I am happy that I am getting that perception, rather than the reality of my flight last night on a UA 737...

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
JetBlue already has free wifi on all their flights. Free snacks too. And more legroom.

Of course the points and status are basically worthless.... and they don't have the network of a big 3 carrier. But if free WiFi is your differentiating issue, there you are.

Personally I don't think that offering something for free if really that big of a deal. Airlines have been unbundling everything for years, and they do it because it's successful. Yes, JetBlue has free WiFi. Southwest has free bags. Will DL free WiFi be that big of a differentiator if their tickets are more expensive? Are you going to start flying DL instead of UA if the wifi is free?
What exactly is UA's differentiation? What do they offer that is better than the competition? For someone who can fly multiple airlines what is UA's value proposition? What does someone associate with their brand? This is just a string of very dare I say "savvy" branding moves by Delta.

meanwhile, check out the Polaris and United F food, and the new elite program at United.... Yummy....

Originally Posted by EWR764
DL spin machine in full effect! They've gotten a lot of mileage out of their free wifi pledge... it's still years away, at best, due to hardware and bandwidth limitations.
Yup. Delta promises, and eventually delivers. I remember when they were promising IFE on all planes, and new aircraft. Love the A220 and A321s with IFE at my seat... United, not so much...
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:33 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by EWR764
Yep. This isn't news. Delta announced this forever ago.

Originally Posted by spin88
Yup. Delta promises, and eventually delivers. I remember when they were promising IFE on all planes, and new aircraft. Love the A220 and A321s with IFE at my seat... United, not so much...
Credit where it's due, but you're setting the bar rather low if you're saying Delta delivered on its fleet replenishment promise. Every airline has done this. Meanwhile, Delta will fly their MD90s through 2022!
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What exactly is UA's differentiation? What do they offer that is better than the competition? For someone who can fly multiple airlines what is UA's value proposition? What does someone associate with their brand? This is just a string of very dare I say "savvy" branding moves by Delta.
I mean, we are all flying them, and we are presumably logical people who consider our choices and act in our own best interests. So obviously they are doing something that makes them a better choice for you than the competition.

For me it's mostly network. Admittedly if I was based somewhere else (DL is kind of useless in SFO) I'd probably fly DL.

Still, I don't have to fly UA. I only status matched and started flying with them regularly about a year ago -- before it was just the occasional flight. I think I made the right decision. When it comes down to it, network is the most important thing. For places I go often, UA has several direct flights per day at different times. That convenience is worth a lot more to me than free wifi.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Before we drift too much, let's remember to stay focused on the wi-fi topic and not wander too far afield,

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Jan 7, 2020, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Nothing is free!

United achieving reliable and fast WiFi on most/all of its planes will cost HEAPS and HEAPS.

"Free" only means it's built into the airfare. As someone who rarely has the need for it inflight, I am not keen in subsidizing everyone's "free" WiFi.
No thank you!
Old Jan 7, 2020, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
(1) UA is brain dead competitively. (2) they are probably spending their time trying to figure out how to squeeze another 4"" out of the 24" wide bathrooms they are putting on the 737s...

There is a perception that Delta is trying to improve the customer experience. United is trying to cut costs and service and benefits. As I wait for my flight on Delta's A220, with a much better seat and IFE at my seat, and restrooms I can turn around in, I am happy that I am getting that perception, rather than the reality of my flight last night on a UA 737...

meanwhile, check out the Polaris and United F food, and the new elite program at United.... Yummy....

Yes, the DL spin machine is indeed in full effect!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.