Wiki Posts
Search

UA needs to copy DL immediately on WiFi

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2020, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fezzington
iMessage, WhatsApp, and Hangouts used to work for free on United_WiFi. Haven't been in the air in some time though, and I've heard it's sporadic now.
IMessage consistently worked on 737s, but they’re on a different system than the Airbus and Boeing widebody aircraft, IIRC, and It’s only on the 737s (haven’t tried WhatsApp/Google). Last time I was ona 737 was November though, and it still worked then. As always, text only - images/videos will not work.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, EL Al ???, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
El Al has been offering free Wi-Fi to top tiers for a while now. A nice perk while still keeping bandwidth manageable.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 4:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hilton HHonors, AAdvantage, Tier 8 Status - Hotel Tonight
Originally Posted by LarryJ
I think it might help to clarify terms.

WiFi is the protocol by which your device connects to the airplane's network. This allows the PDE streaming service and works regardless of the status of internet service.

The Internet service is provided via a satellite connection on mainline flights and an air-to-ground radio (I think it's VHF) connection on Express aircraft. The limitation on the air/ground link is that it is only available when the aircraft is at altitude and while over land. The satellite systems can provide Internet from gate-to-gate as well as over oceans.

Many people, including me, often say "WiFi" when we mean "Internet". I try to be very specific when discussing the systems and particularly when writing up a problem with the system. i.e. "Internet is intermittent. WiFi and PDE is working." or "WiFi connection between devices and airplane can not be established"

Anyway, a few comments from the previous messages...

No airborne internet service provides service over the entire globe. The satellite system used on the widebodies provides coverage over most areas that those aircraft fly. The system on the 737 has the potential to provide faster connections that the system used on the widebodies but has a much more limited service area leaving flights to Hawaii, the Caribbean, Mexico, etc. without service.

The PDE streaming system is completely self contained within the airplane. For it to work, you need both the WiFi and PDE server to be working. Internet is not required. Internet service requires both WiFi and the Internet satellite connection to be working.

I met Oscar in Seattle two summers ago and the CFO, who rode on my airplane, some months later. Both stressed the importance of the Internet service to our customers and that it was a high priority at the Board level. There have been many improvements since then (hardware and software) but there's still a long way to go.
Just occurred to me: Wasn't there a way back in the day to get 56K Internet via the GTE in-seat phones back in the late 1990s on say legacy United 757s or 737s and whatnot via the phone or satellite connecting to it? I think you would've had to bring a phone cable along with you and plug it into the GTE phone itself (and while super slow) it could've been done?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.