Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA needs to copy DL immediately on WiFi

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2020, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I can stream Netflix with no stuttering, but I can't maintain an SSH connection over VPN.

Call it what you want, but it's "good" and "fast" to the person watching TV, and "bad" to the person trying to manage a server.
https://mosh.org/

(This is "mobile shell", an intelligent shell intended for flaky / high-latency connections. It won't drop you and it will make typing over a high latency connection less infuriating)
canadiancow likes this.

Last edited by VegasGambler; Jan 8, 2020 at 2:38 am
Old Jan 8, 2020, 2:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Yeah, my point is UA needs to commit to free WiFI and make sure efforts are a high priority to implement. If there's anything that'll change a passenger's mind about one legacy airline over another (all other things being near equal), it'll be free (and reliable) WiFi. If UA is playing catch up with DL on this down the road, it will show up in the numbers.
Quite a blanket statement. Sign me up as someone who couldn't care less about wifi in the air. In fact, ceteris paribus, I would choose a flight without wifi because of the inevitable irritating behaviours this would encourage in those around me (incessant loud typing typing, fiddling with phones, VOIP calls, etc).
Old Jan 8, 2020, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Aircraft with 200-300 passengers with 1/2 the passengers connected to the internet and 1/2 of them steaming, things could get dicey.

That's where the IFE at every seat comes in, and stream to your own device. No way 1/4 of the plane will be all trying to stream netflix or some other show all at once.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 7:19 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
I want it to be reliable. I don't mind paying to have it reliable. Right now I pay and it's not reliable. Thus I don't want to hear anything about free WiFi until they can get the paid version working.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 7:24 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Quite a blanket statement. Sign me up as someone who couldn't care less about wifi in the air. In fact, ceteris paribus, I would choose a flight without wifi because of the inevitable irritating behaviours this would encourage in those around me (incessant loud typing typing, fiddling with phones, VOIP calls, etc).
Good luck trying to choose a flight without WiFi unless you only want to fly on 50-seat aircraft.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 8:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Good luck trying to choose a flight without WiFi unless you only want to fly on 50-seat aircraft.
Not much of a problem on European flights (at the moment). Also, I don't sense that the many people pay for premium internet at the moment.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 8:18 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Gogo 2Ku claims to offer 70Mbps. If they get close to that, everyone who wants to can stream.
Just because that's the maximum they can provide to one user, does not mean everyone on the plane can consume that much bandwidth simultaneously. My wifi network can easily provide over 1 Gbps of bandwidth per user but if there are 30 people connected to it, and all 30 people try to consume 1 Gbps at the same time, they're not all getting that much.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 8:39 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I'm probably rare in that I don't want to work on the airplane. Not a fan of someone seeing what I'm up to as I've often seen competitors on the same flight. At best I use it for united.com which is already free. I can count on one hand the times I've actually paid for wifi, so free or expensive, I'll likely rarely use it. I don't even carry my computer anymore. iPad and iPhone of course, but nothing else.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I'm probably rare in that I don't want to work on the airplane....At best I use it for united.com which is already free....I don't even carry my computer anymore. iPad and iPhone of course, but nothing else.
That is how I fly on United.

However, when I found myself on Air New Zealand in last couple of weeks w/ free WiFi, I made some use of it - and not for work.

I can live w/o it, but I certainly recognize that being connected is a big deal to a large and growing segment of the flying public. I was on a cruise ship last week. It was pretty obvious that importance of being/time spent being connected was (roughly) age related. United's future passengers are demanding connectivity, not necessarily me. A forward-looking company cannot ignore the importance of free (it's becoming expected) and reliable access. As for bandwidth, using today's technology and standards to say "it can't be done" is not cognizant of how fast things change. I think I bought a 80MB disk drive for $200 (no typos) in about 1987.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jan 8, 2020 at 9:12 am
Old Jan 8, 2020, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
This is the United forum, where anything UA announces is presumed to be overpromised and will never come to fruition, but anything DL announces is immediately a competitive threat.

I do think that UA is prioritizing the WiFi experience, but I also agree that the last thing I'd want at the moment is for it to be free. And I'm extremely skeptical that DL will ever be able to deliver what Bastion was promising -- ground-like speeds for free.

Js, almost 20 years! Thanks!
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 9:39 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
That is how I fly on United.

However, when I found myself on Air New Zealand in last couple of weeks w/ free WiFi, I made some use of it - and not for work.

I can live w/o it, but I certainly recognize that being connected is a big deal to a large and growing segment of the flying public. I was on a cruise ship last week. It was pretty obvious that importance of being/time spent being connected was (roughly) age related. United's future passengers are demanding connectivity, not necessarily me. A forward-looking company cannot ignore the importance of free (it's becoming expected) and reliable access. As for bandwidth, using today's technology and standards to say "it can't be done" is not cognizant of how fast things change. I think I bought a 80MB disk drive for $200 (no typos) in about 1987.
I hear you loud and clear and don't disagree with you. I'm not too old yet, but I'm working on it as I'm in my late 40's. I'll buy the drinks, you buy the appetizer one of these days in Maui, then we can discuss everything under the Maui Sun of what's right and wrong with UA.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 10:04 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
I think I bought a 80MB disk drive for $200 (no typos) in about 1987.
No way. Back then you would be lucky to get a 10-20 MB drive, and it would cost more than $200. I got a 30 MB (really a 20 MB RLL) drive in 1989, and I am sure it added more than $200 to the $3000 cost of the complete (minus display) 386 system.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 10:22 am
st3

Programs: United MP
Aircraft with 200-300 passengers with 1/2 the passengers connected to the internet and 1/2 of them steaming, things could get dicey.
100% This. Until the "free" wi-fi can handle a large number of the passengers streaming video (while not dropping a ton of packets for those on VPNs or other connections) it is a dubious proposition and marketing fluff. If anyone thinks that people won't want to stream on a plane, there is a term for that, "OK boomer".
Old Jan 8, 2020, 10:38 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Maybe. Most streaming services are good at cutting the quality when bandwidth drops.

That's a lot of streamers though. 1/4 of the plane?? Most people are just texting, on instagram, or playing stupid phone games.
You could half that number again to 10-15% of the passengers and that would still overwhelm 70Mbps. No wifi system, is 100% efficiency with a high number of simultaneous users. And some users are connecting to high demand work systems.

So while free basic email wifi is likely achievable, it probably will be necessary to charge / restrict for a premium level of service that supports streaming.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Well, United tried to provide wifi on our recent B787-8 flight from SFO to PPT....however, we were told by the Polaris Club staff that because the wifi system was broken on the airplane, UA could not operate the flight until it was fixed. At least, that's what we were told. We finally departed SFO over five hours late to Tahiti......with no wifi.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.