FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   The 2021 Premier 1K [re]qualification thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2002440-2021-premier-1k-re-qualification-thread.html)

cfischer Jan 28, 2020 11:15 am

Originally Posted by regalkit (Post 32004382)
As United gives miles as well as status with partner airlines I have a question i hope someone can help me with. A UA rt flight from Toronto to TLV gets me 650 PQP's. However, if I reserve an Air Canada flight on the United website I'd get 1158 PQP's. That's almost double. My question is being that I usually buy my airline tickets with either Amex or Chase points, do you think I can get the Air Canada flight and still get my PQP'S? I'd love to hold on to my 1K status for 2020. Thanks.

it does not matter where you buy your ticket.

leoo Jan 28, 2020 11:18 am

Not that hard! [2]

Originally Posted by margarita girl (Post 31911702)
I have now booked enough tickets to get 24,083 PQPs. Total spend is C$14.7K = US$11.3K and everything is in biz or first class, or is upgradeable. Because I was exempt from PQD requirement, some of these partner flights were booked before the changes were announced, so no change in my buying behavior. This is what I have:

My year will be crazy but I'm looking forward to every trip.
Most flights were booked before the PQP announcement and all have convoluted routing:

TK: LIS-IST-LHR (K)
UA: LHR-YYC (K)
AC: YYC-BKK-YYC (P)
UA: YYC-KUL-SIN-YYC (K)
AC: YYC-DME-YYC (P)
UA: YYC-TPE-YYC (W->PZ)
UA: YYC-HKG-HND-YYC (W->PZ,W->RN)
UA: YYC-MEL-SYD-YYC (W->PZ)
AC: YYC-GRU-YYC (K)
UA: YYC-PUS-ICN-YYC (W->PZ)
UA: YYC-TLV-ZRH-AMS-YYC (W->PZ)
NH: IAH-HND (O)

Total Spend: 12,543 USD (52% to UA, 47% to AC, 1% to TK)

Expected PQF: 60 and PQP: 18,448 (~33% from UA flights, ~66% from AC)

VegasGambler Jan 28, 2020 11:58 am

Originally Posted by regalkit (Post 32004382)
As United gives miles as well as status with partner airlines I have a question i hope someone can help me with. A UA rt flight from Toronto to TLV gets me 650 PQP's. However, if I reserve an Air Canada flight on the United website I'd get 1158 PQP's. That's almost double. My question is being that I usually buy my airline tickets with either Amex or Chase points, do you think I can get the Air Canada flight and still get my PQP'S? I'd love to hold on to my 1K status for 2020. Thanks.

If you buy an Air Canada flight on UA's website it will earn by spend, not distance, because UA is ticketing it.

If you buy it through a travel agent (Chase and Amex portals are both travel agents) it depends which carrier they ticket with.

regalkit Jan 28, 2020 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Silver Fox (Post 32004470)
I assume you mean 2021?

CORRECT!!!https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/imag...lies/smile.gif

regalkit Jan 28, 2020 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 32004698)
If you buy an Air Canada flight on UA's website it will earn by spend, not distance, because UA is ticketing it.

If you buy it through a travel agent (Chase and Amex portals are both travel agents) it depends which carrier they ticket with.

So if Amex or Chase ticket with AC and I use my UA mileage number for that flight, I assume then that I don't get PQP's?

VegasGambler Jan 28, 2020 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by regalkit (Post 32004798)
So if Amex or Chase ticket with AC and I use my UA mileage number for that flight, I assume then that I don't get PQP's?

Of course you do. That's how you get PQP by distance -- you book partner flights, ticketed by partners.

gmt4 Jan 28, 2020 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by leoo (Post 32004530)

Expected PQF: 60 and PQP: 18,448

Well played. Close but not excessively over the mins. Especially appreciate the overall low USD outlay as well!

cricketer Feb 12, 2020 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by cricketer (Post 31912328)
I have about 11K PQP booked for the year, but I still have no plan to explicitly aim or plan for 1K. If I get there, it will be because I happened to fly enough on the right routes. I'm committed to just choosing what works for me.

With that said, with the job change I'm considering, 2 of my 3 likely options will probably ensure I get there. One will entail pretty regular domestic travel, which will be on UA out of SFO, and another will have a couple of trips a year to India in biz. Either will get me over the line this year at least.

Also important to note that in the last 10-12 years there have been a few times I thought I was no chance of 1K and life just intervened in my favour (in this regard) every single time. So if you're betting on me....

And... looks like my 1K for this year will be pretty secure. Will hit 54 segments, and $18K thanks to the new job. I guess now I'm excited about the amazing 1K benefits next year including domestic upgrades actually clearing? I'm 2 for 5 with Plus Points so far this year.

gmt4 Feb 13, 2020 8:16 am

I'm a little over 5k PQP with around 7k more booked as of now. With pending but unscheduled travel and vacation trips through the end of the year I'll make the 18k PQP easy, but its beginning to sink in on how big that 54 segment requirement is. I'll have to strategize a bit to maximize segments and maybe redirect a small bit of travel I'd take on B6 or WN to UA. But, I guess the latter is UA's plan for suckers like me who will be close but still oh-so-far in one criteria from re-qualifying for 1k. And I willingly play along..:(

seanp7 Feb 13, 2020 8:23 am

I think I'll hit the 54 but not the PQP 18K. I also need to plan it out in a little more detail - like the OP, I had given up on 1K for 2021.

(Don't forget the future (booked) flight tracker at mystatus.united.com! It's far more useful this year with the qualification revisions...)

Artpen100 Feb 13, 2020 8:59 am

I’ve dropped to Plat this month and suspect I’ll be the same next year, but if anyone thinks their CPUs are going to be more likely in 2020, I notice that I have become even more likely to take a TOD or HOD on a domestic flight than before. Did that twice last month even as a 1K when I didn’t like my chances. I suspect that may be common thinking among former 1Ks.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Feb 13, 2020 9:03 am

Not even mid-February and a lot of the "I'll-never-make-1Kers" are seeing a flicker of light. Maybe the number of 1Ks in 2020 isn't going to change much - lose a few who qualified under old rules, gain a few who qualify under new... :)

narvik Feb 13, 2020 9:10 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 32067438)
Not even mid-February and a lot of the "I'll-never-make-1Kers" are seeing a flicker of light.

This was me.....until COVID-19.

Now it looks like 1K for 2021 is truly not possible anymore.
I expect not to be able to return to PEK for work until sometime in June. Maybe I should add EWR-PEK to this thread: What Route(s) do you wish UA Flew [Master thread 2016 onward].

SS255 Feb 13, 2020 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Artpen100 (Post 32067415)
I’ve dropped to Plat this month and suspect I’ll be the same next year, but if anyone thinks their CPUs are going to be more likely in 2020, I notice that I have become even more likely to take a TOD or HOD on a domestic flight than before. Did that twice last month even as a 1K when I didn’t like my chances. I suspect that may be common thinking among former 1Ks.

I’ve actually consciously cut back on my travel, since I no longer want to bother qualifying for 1K. The net effect is that I have more money in my pocket to buy F on the fewer trips I’m taking. Going forward as of next year, when flying UA, I will probably be occupying an F seat for which fewer 1K’s will be clamoring for the upgrade. I wonder how many other soon-to-be-ex-1K’s will be applying this same strategy, and what kind of an impact it will have on the fewer 1K’s who will be out there?

arisaa Feb 13, 2020 8:27 pm

Slack for China travelers?

Every year my qualification to 1k is dependent on travel to China, say 4 trips per year. Anyone think that UA might cut people like me some slack? I have been 1k since the merger and Plat with CO since 1996 and now at 2.3 MM miles. The only reason I would not qualify for 2021 is this coronavirus thing.