FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   The 2021 Premier 1K [re]qualification thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2002440-2021-premier-1k-re-qualification-thread.html)

Repooc17 Feb 13, 2020 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by arisaa (Post 32070109)
Every year my qualification to 1k is dependent on travel to China, say 4 trips per year. Anyone think that UA might cut people like me some slack? I have been 1k since the merger and Plat with CO since 1996 and now at 2.3 MM miles. The only reason I would not qualify for 2021 is this coronavirus thing.

How would that be fair for those never fly to China and/or Asia?

(I have no interest in the outcome either way)

fumje Feb 13, 2020 8:35 pm

Every year my qualification to 1k is dependent on travel to China, say 4 trips per year. Anyone think that UA might cut people like me some slack? I have been 1k since the merger and Plat with CO since 1996 and now at 2.3 MM miles. The only reason I would not qualify for 2021 is this coronavirus thing.

No chance, sadly, in my estimation.

Also, given that the criteria have changed to money-only, and China has been a discount market for several years, I wonder if COVID-19 won't turn out to make as much difference as you might guess.

cricketer Feb 13, 2020 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by fumje (Post 32070130)
No chance, sadly, in my estimation.

Don't be so sure. Any year in which I'm going to comfortably clear requirements and other people are struggling, UA hands out bonuses (double EQM, sweet spot SWU's). Any year in which I might be right on the edge, there's no help. Therefore, there's a big bonus coming this year.

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 32070129)
How would that be fair for those never fly to China and/or Asia?

Those who never fly there haven't been negatively impacted. The premise would be "under normal circumstances, all these people would have earned more PQP's, so let's attempt to give them that credit."

Repooc17 Feb 13, 2020 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by cricketer (Post 32070168)
Those who never fly there haven't been negatively impacted. The premise would be "under normal circumstances, all these people would have earned more PQP's, so let's attempt to give them that credit."

What if someone had multiple trips planned during the suspension period, but now unable to book. How would UA identify those folks are if they are not able to book? Also, how do you differentiate various elite levels flyers would have earned - there are all kinds of scenarios in play here.

cricketer Feb 13, 2020 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 32070235)
What if someone had multiple trips planned during the suspension period, but now unable to book. How would UA identify those folks are if they are not able to book? Also, how do you differentiate various elite levels flyers would have earned - there are all kinds of scenarios in play here.

Oh of course they can't actually do it with any precision - that's why all they can do is some kind of blanket restitution. Not really clear what other option they would reasonably have. That's why they did months of double EQM years ago - I wouldn't be stunned to see double PQP happen once flights resume - possibly only on China flights. Logic would be "you missed the first half of the year, but you get double PQP the second half as our best effort as compensation."

Remember none of this is UA's fault. Life happens. That's also why they may well do nothing at all.

zombietooth Feb 14, 2020 8:52 am

Originally Posted by SS255 (Post 32069064)
I’ve actually consciously cut back on my travel, since I no longer want to bother qualifying for 1K. The net effect is that I have more money in my pocket to buy F on the fewer trips I’m taking. Going forward as of next year, when flying UA, I will probably be occupying an F seat for which fewer 1K’s will be clamoring for the upgrade. I wonder how many other soon-to-be-ex-1K’s will be applying this same strategy, and what kind of an impact it will have on the fewer 1K’s who will be out there?

Count me as another that is doing the same. Domestic UGs on UA are just too difficult, so I am buying F on all transcons now. However, I now buy the cheapest F available with the best (i.e. shortest) routing, without regard to carrier. So far, this year, I have 6 transcons on DL, 2 on AA, and 2 on UA. I am not trying to get status on any other carrier, I am just going for the best overall flight with regards to price and timing.

In addition, I used to buy lots of close-in coach on UA at the higher fare classes, believing that my UG chances were better. That was just a myth and I now do an ITA search for the cheapest F fare for my close-in bookings. Around a third of the time, I can find F on another carrier cheaper than coach on UA. That seems impossible but I find it regularly.

Internationally, I will still use UA so long as I can UG. Once that becomes unreliable, I will just buy the cheapest J out there.

JimInOhio Feb 14, 2020 9:01 am

Originally Posted by cricketer (Post 32070168)
Don't be so sure. Any year in which I'm going to comfortably clear requirements and other people are struggling, UA hands out bonuses (double EQM, sweet spot SWU's). Any year in which I might be right on the edge, there's no help. Therefore, there's a big bonus coming this year.

I like your idea. I'll just tell UA I was planning to go to China and therefore I would like some PQP comp.

Of course, UA are the ones losing money so they might view this differently.

Exleftseat Feb 14, 2020 9:17 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 32067438)
Not even mid-February and a lot of the "I'll-never-make-1Kers" are seeing a flicker of light. Maybe the number of 1Ks in 2020 isn't going to change much - lose a few who qualified under old rules, gain a few who qualify under new... :)

While I certainly understand that everyone has their own personal reasons, it is truly amazing to me that the so often despised one sided dependency ( or maybe a better word should be addiction ) to the FF unfriendly airline called United is very much alive and well despite all the negative developments around the MP program in recent times. Every change announced by UA is met with strong disapproval on this board and seemingly hoards of people announcing that they are leaving the program. Yet year after year the same people are still around sticking with UA and exploring innovative ways to stay ahead. I am sure management sees that an endorsement of their actions and it encourages them to keep on cutting benefits without fear of retribution.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Feb 14, 2020 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Exleftseat (Post 32071834)
...Every change announced by UA is met with strong disapproval on this board and seemingly hoards of people announcing that they are leaving the program. Yet year after year the same people are still around sticking with UA and exploring innovative ways to stay ahead...

Agree. I'm pretty at my breakover point w/ United. If it weren't for the non-016 PQP earnings on a single, cheap P trip HNL-LHR this April, I wouldn't still be 1K in 2020. I have no problem w/ segments, but 18k PQPs gets me where I need to go in the style I want. I don't need to spend any more. As it is now, UA CPUs to/from Hawaii have plummeted and I'm buying F on westbounds more than half the time. If UA raises the bar for 2021, I'm gone and I'll use my MM lifetime Gold to some advantage. I'll be a Kayaker who may end up on UA on occasion.

Edit: I actually don't mind the decrease in CPUs on the occasional redeye I take eastbound. I sleep better in coach leaning against window than in F where the window is farther away. And I don't partake of F snack. The only thing I give up is my PD Bailey's on ice.

Exleftseat Feb 14, 2020 9:57 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 32071900)
Agree. I'm pretty at my breakover point w/ United. If it weren't for the non-016 PQP earnings on a single, cheap P trip HNL-LHR this April, I wouldn't still be 1K in 2020. I have no problem w/ segments, but 18k PQPs gets me where I need to go in the style I want. I don't need to spend any more. As it is now, UA CPUs to/from Hawaii have plummeted and I'm buying F on westbounds more than half the time. If UA raises the bar for 2021, I'm gone and I'll use my MM lifetime Gold to some advantage. I'll be a Kayaker who may end up on UA on occasion.

Experiencing the same thing. My last paid flight on UA will be in Sep from HNL-LAX. Cannot count on CPU so I applied my last PPs to get up front, but still not very optimistic. Moving back to Hawaii next year but UA will not be the automatic choice any longer. Not planning and not willing to re-qualify. Got better ways to spend my ( own ) money.

ryman554 Feb 14, 2020 12:58 pm

Can we add a poll to this thread just to get real hard data from an unrepresentative segment of the unrepresentative segments of UA flyers known as Flyertalk: Of course, we can't actually fill out this survey until nearing the end of the year, so perhaps better to hold off.

Covers pretty much all cases, I think.

Will re-qualify for 1K with no changes in travel habits
Will newly qualify to 1K (from lower status) with no changes in travel habits
Will qualify for 1K only by spending more on United
Will qualify for 1K only by segment running
Will qualify for 1K only by PQD running on other airlines
Will drop to Platinum from 1K with no changes in travel habits
Will drop to Gold from 1K with no changes in travel habits
Will drop to Silver from 1K with no changes in travel habits
Will drop to Platinum from 1K including changes in travel habits
Will drop to Gold from 1K including changes in travel habits
Will drop to Silver from 1K including changes in travel habits
Will lose all status including changes in travel habits

narvik Feb 14, 2020 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by ryman554 (Post 32072704)
Can we add a poll to this thread just to get real hard data from an unrepresentative segment of the unrepresentative segments of UA flyers known as Flyertalk: Of course, we can't actually fill out this survey until nearing the end of the year, so perhaps better to hold off.

Not a bad idea.
Maybe the dropping to Gold because of MM should be added too.
And "Will qualify for 1K only by PQD running on other airlines" should probably be changed to "Will qualify for 1K by mostly PQD running on other airlines".

Silver Fox Feb 14, 2020 3:02 pm

Could you add "Will not give a flying .... any longer?" :)

cricketer Feb 14, 2020 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by ryman554 (Post 32072704)

To cover my case (which may well be a minority of 1, I need a "iWill requality for 1K because of a complete change in flying patterns" - I'll make it because of segments, but they're all for work, so I'm not segment running.

Exleftseat Feb 14, 2020 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Silver Fox (Post 32073149)
Could you add "Will not give a flying .... any longer?" :)

Exactly! Just add "Don't want to requalify".