Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Discussion of the Quality of UA's In-Flight Meals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discussion of the Quality of UA's In-Flight Meals

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2020, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bloodyeyeballs
Great thread. Last Spring I had a flight from NRT-LAX in J and the meat choice was between beef cheeks and chicken thighs. .......

I did complain to the purser and got 25K mile
So let me get this straight ...

You had, presumably, 3 choices - 2 meats and one veggie, didn't like any of them, so complained and walked away with $250-$500 worth of miles? (Or, put another way, a free domestic round trip anywhere in the US?)

Not sure I see what the complaint is about. I'd be happy to take a snack box in exchange for $500.

(And BTW - both of those options can be very tasty, prepared correctly ... not saying UA would or would not have, but both can be excellent.)
Old Jan 10, 2020, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by bloodyeyeballs
Great thread. Last Spring I had a flight from NRT-LAX in J and the meat choice was between beef cheeks and chicken thighs. What annoyed me the most is that this flight was the same price and the same time as an ANA flight. The only reason I took this was for the BIS for my lifetime. I did complain to the purser and got 25K miles, but more importantly it taught me to avoid United at all costs. I am currently on Guam and flying back on EVA via FUK and TPE. The new points system allows me for credit for this flight and it is cheaper than going through NRT and also allows me to spend a weekend in FUK. This is revenue that is not going back to United anytime soon.

I think beef cheeks are as good as short ribs. Both are cheap cuts of meat but tasty if well prepared. I prefer beef cheeks to a United "tenderloin" any time.

Chicken thigh is also better than breast meat in terms of flavor.

The meal choices on my flights tend to be a choice of chicken and udon noodles in Thai soupy sauce, shortrib with some dark sauce, salmon/unidentifiable white fish with greens, and Indian vegetarian option. I haven't seen beef cheeks or chicken thighs.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by spin88

And I don't mean to say that UA's food was good prior to 2012, it was just better than it is today by a lot.
Nothing festive about the food today except the dessert cart but UA J food was bottom of the pack for a long time post 2001 and not much better than now.

Desserts were worse, mains still in the mini casserole dishes, the cuts of meat were a grade higher, but the pastas, asian noodle thing better now.

AirlineMeals.net - Airline catering * the world's largest website about airline catering, inflight meals and special meals

AA J wasn't much better - grim salad, some bits of seafood cocktail, OK looking beef - and that's on one of the 2 cabin flights with the 'better' service back then.

AirlineMeals.net - Airline catering * the world's largest website about airline catering, inflight meals and special meals

DL J food generally better than AA/UA today but that's also had cuts in grades of protein, etc over the last few years after 'peak Delta.'

The biggest travesty now is the beyond low grade of beef and chicken on the PS flights. Didn't even know there was a cut of chicken breast with that cardboard texture.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
Originally Posted by Artpen100
And Brussels Airlines recently upped the quality of their TATL food as well (as well as refreshing the seats, and adding an in-flight Belgian beer bar). UA is really at the bottom in terms of quality of in-flight food, and starting to be matched with seating as well..
Previously I was only able to compare UA J meals to ANA and LH. And despite the better food on both, the hard product at UA made me prefer UA. I felt like I could suck up the difference in food, since I value sleep the most and don't like ANA's seats and some of LH's seats.

I recently flew SQ in J and was blown away at the quality of both the hard and soft products. Apps choices were lobster or beef, Perrier Jouet was flowing freely, excellent mains, cheese, dessert....and they gave you a box of Neuhaus chocolates (about 15-20) in a little Neuhaus bag as a parting gift. SQ food and beverage was ridiculously better than my return on Polaris. As was the seat.

While I default to UA for the BIS and chasing MM, I won't think twice about prioritizing SQ over UA the next time. The difference was like eating at, say Capital Grille in SQ vs TGI Fridays on UA. (Sadly. Because UA does me right by and large, and I really want to keep liking them. But they are not making it easy for me to do so when it comes to their food...)
Miggles likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by big V
Previously I was only able to compare UA J meals to ANA and LH. And despite the better food on both, the hard product at UA made me prefer UA. I felt like I could suck up the difference in food, since I value sleep the most and don't like ANA's seats and some of LH's seats.

I recently flew SQ in J and was blown away at the quality of both the hard and soft products. Apps choices were lobster or beef, Perrier Jouet was flowing freely, excellent mains, cheese, dessert....and they gave you a box of Neuhaus chocolates (about 15-20) in a little Neuhaus bag as a parting gift. SQ food and beverage was ridiculously better than my return on Polaris. As was the seat.

While I default to UA for the BIS and chasing MM, I won't think twice about prioritizing SQ over UA the next time. The difference was like eating at, say Capital Grille in SQ vs TGI Fridays on UA. (Sadly. Because UA does me right by and large, and I really want to keep liking them. But they are not making it easy for me to do so when it comes to their food...)
SQ is pretty much always the way to go if it’s an option.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Just flew NRT->ORD. Wow, the arrival breakfast was vile. Worst I have ever had on United, and that is saying something. I will try to post pics later this week, but just amazed at how far things have fallen.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Just flew NRT->ORD. Wow, the arrival breakfast was vile. Worst I have ever had on United, and that is saying something. I will try to post pics later this week, but just amazed at how far things have fallen.
did you get the katsu, because everyone hates that one
Old Jan 12, 2020, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by vaguba
The Katsu was one of my favorites, thought haven't had it in a long time. I have been routing through HKG mostly, which doesn't seem to get that one.
It wasn't available on this flight.

I had a cheese omelette, with sausage and potatoes. Dreadful. Potatoes tasted raw, but were overcooked and dry. Hard to describe. Sausage was gristly, with hard bits inside that I had to spit out. tiny container of yogurt-like matter, but tasted off and watery.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 9:23 pm

Programs: United, Bonvoy, NEXUS/GE, Amex Plat
Personally I find the katsu ex-NRT to be quite good (as far as UA breakfast goes), but the same ex-EWR absolutely dreadful. Though any catering ex-NRT tends to be a bit better, imo.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 10:04 pm

Programs: United Two Million Miler; United 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
So let me get this straight ...

You had, presumably, 3 choices - 2 meats and one veggie, didn't like any of them, so complained and walked away with $250-$500 worth of miles? (Or, put another way, a free domestic round trip anywhere in the US?)

Not sure I see what the complaint is about. I'd be happy to take a snack box in exchange for $500.

(And BTW - both of those options can be very tasty, prepared correctly ... not saying UA would or would not have, but both can be excellent.)
I did try the beef cheeks and it looked like dog food and was barely edible. My point was more that I could have flown ANA business at the same time and for the same price but didn't due to false loyalty to UA and for BIS credit for lifetime status.
The point of this thread seems to be to point out that Polaris meals are going downhill since inception. This was my data point.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by vaguba
I believe the current options are the cheese omelet or sawara yuan with yuzu sauce and some kind of rice.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 11:42 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by bsb7140
I believe the current options are the cheese omelet or sawara yuan with yuzu sauce and some kind of rice.
Same omelette which United used to serve for breakfast on domestic routes. EXACTLY the same omelette, had it many times between LAX and IAH. Once they started serving it in Polaris, domestic breakfast got downgraded to that vile kale pastry or the egg white sandwich.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by findark
So far I haven't noticed any decline in the garlic bread or sundae.
Originally Posted by wanderingkev
I think the garlic bread did not have much room to decline,It is usually still in a semi dough like state or a hockey puck
I have found the garlic bread varies from flight to flight. Sometimes it's gorgeous with soft interior and a nice crust, more frequently it's baked out a bit and a little dry. I can't recall any instance of getting it in a semi-dough-like state.

Originally Posted by AeRoSpaceman
Except when you are on a longhaul MidCon/East Coast to Hawaii flight where you state in the other thread that Y passengers don't deserve any kind of meal from UA.
It's not that they don't deserve any kind of a meal. It's that consumers have consistently gone bottom line on what they were willing to pay for the fare, driving down the level of service. I think a flight that long SHOULD have a meal and it always used to -- but airfares also used to be a lot higher and for the difference in airfare, I can certainly live with buying something to take on the plane.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
This thread is making me nervous for my first US-EU trip on United J.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 9:03 am

Programs: UA
You'll be ok. I do wish they would do cobranded meal deals with fast food franchises. Like a bucket of popeye's and some cinnabon for dessert.
AeRoSpaceman and iplaybass like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.