Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Discussion of the Quality of UA's In-Flight Meals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discussion of the Quality of UA's In-Flight Meals

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2020, 10:54 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by dilanesp
My point is you evaluate food in light of how much is provided. If there's very little food, everything needs to be good. If there's a lot of food, one item being subpar is not a big deal.

​​​​​
This argument might make sense if UA were serving materially greater quantities or courses than the competition, but they’re not, so it’s sort of irrelevant to the thread topic. You could argue the UA dessert selection is greater than most of the competition but even there you could probably get two desserts (or a cheese plate and a dessert) upon request on most carriers.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 11:47 am

Programs: UA MM
Early AM YYC-DEN is now a snack in F which, yesterday, was a small and terribly dried out cinnamon bun and some fruit slices. I was told it's now a snack as it's too short for breakfast. Maybe their planes are flying much faster than they used to for years? BTW, the inbound DEN-YYC in the evening is listed as "dinner".
Old Feb 14, 2020, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by dilanesp
When a ton of food is served, it is like a buffet. The point isn't to eat everything, and it's very unhealthy to do so.
Exactly. I am glad you posted this, as opposed to just saying United serves too many Calories.
Just because it's offered, doesn't mean one has to consume EVERYTHING!

And substituting two cans of cranberry juice cocktail for sparkling water can "save" ~400 kcal, for instance.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
United does not serve more than the competition, and some of the competition manages to have a range of excellent options that you can chose to eat some or all of. Rather than United's "you might be lucky to have one good item, and you can just skip the rest as you anyway don't need that many calories" approach...

Here is a full J menu from United's partner across the Pacific. Not a particular outstanding one, just a standard Western meal.

jazzhou, st530 and narvik like this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Here is a full J menu from United's partner across the Pacific. Not a particular outstanding one, just a standard Western meal.
Wow, just WOW [compared to United]!!!

(Who was it? For completeness' sake.)
Old Feb 14, 2020, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by narvik
Wow, just WOW [compared to United]!!!

(Who was it? For completeness' sake.)
It must be ANA.

To be fair, I would consider NH the high bar for TPAC dining currently.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
It must be ANA.
Cheers.

Is United the "low bar"?
Old Feb 14, 2020, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by narvik
Cheers.

Is United the "low bar"?
Let's say this: if United today isn't the low bar, it's only because United in six months is the low bar.
exerda, narvik and CPH-Flyer like this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
It must be ANA.

Indeed it is ANA.

For TPAC Japanese food I think JAL does a better job than ANA. For the western menu it depends a bit on the specific menus whether ANA or JAL is my preferred.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I flew Delta in first class recently, and all I can say is WOW! Their domestic F meals are far, far, far more appetizing than what I am given on UA domestic F. The food at Delta actually tasted great. And the service during the meal was fantastic.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by blueman2
I flew Delta in first class recently, and all I can say is WOW! Their domestic F meals are far, far, far more appetizing than what I am given on UA domestic F.
Having flown DL more regularly, while that might be true to a small degree, the "wow" wore off pretty quickly for me and I realized that part of it was just that novelty tastes better. For the time I hadn't learned their domestic mealsets, eating "new" food was much better.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 8:19 am

Programs: Delta Plat, UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by findark
Having flown DL more regularly, while that might be true to a small degree, the "wow" wore off pretty quickly for me and I realized that part of it was just that novelty tastes better. For the time I hadn't learned their domestic mealsets, eating "new" food was much better.
May be true, but I'm loving Delta's service over UA so much right now. 6 flights on the year with DL coming off 1k from UA and couldn't be happier. UA flight attendants are generally MIA after lunch/dinner service while DL continues to offer me water bottles and drinks.
blueman2 likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by critten
UA flight attendants are generally MIA after lunch/dinner service while DL continues to offer me water bottles and drinks.
Yes, I do agree that DL cabin crews tend to be more consistently good. I was just pointing out that I don't think there's that much difference in base meal quality; having something new for a change can be very nice and UA's domestic mealset has been pretty stagnant since the cuts of 2017.
blueman2 and AeRoSpaceman like this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 4:58 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
TATL today in Polaris. Reckon cost of all food was less than $10. Nuts were OK,everything else inedible. Anyone want to weigh in?
Old Feb 20, 2020, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by manstein58
TATL today in Polaris. Reckon cost of all food was less than $10. Nuts were OK,everything else inedible. Anyone want to weigh in?
I mean, it sounds grotesque, however you also chose to fly TATL on a US airline so...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.