Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Discussion of the Quality of UA's In-Flight Meals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discussion of the Quality of UA's In-Flight Meals

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2020, 11:57 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by spin88
Different strokes, for different folks. Both are traditional European meals, high quality ingredients from the photos, and things will likely all taste good. Note the Cappuccino with breakfast. (and that these are TATL flights, so not even ULH). This said, there are certainly some folks who are happy with a starch and small piece of low quality meat, and a head lettuce salad and some $10 wine. My best friend in high school's parents thought that the top of the world was Luby's and they had no interest in eating anything else, anything beyond Luby's was quickly dismissed.

The problem is that people flying in J are probably mostly folks who would not want to eat at Luby's, and prefer something a little more interesting and adventuresome when traveling, or at least traditional food that is of much higher quality.
​​​​​​
I don't get this at all. It's business class. A product pitched to people who have work to do. The food should be decent, but really, I would never expect five star restaurant food in business class. I might expect it in international first where the ticket is $6,000 one way or something, but not in business class. I want to work, and sleep, and eat decently and quickly.

Also- and this is related- I don't think "fine" food is on a different plane than most food. I have had Waygu beef- and it is only a tiny bit better than typical beef. I have had $200 wine- and I can't even tell the difference from $10 wine.

If someone has a hobby of loving fine food, there are tons of restaurants on the ground to pursue that hobby. But it's just that- a hobby. There isn't some inherent superiority to fine food, a point you note. And business class on an airline doesn't have to cater to that hobby.

If you guys all quit United over that, fine..More availability for me.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by dilanesp
​​​​​​
I don't get this at all. It's business class. A product pitched to people who have work to do. The food should be decent, but really, I would never expect five star restaurant food in business class. I might expect it in international first where the ticket is $6,000 one way or something, but not in business class. I want to work, and sleep, and eat decently and quickly.

Also- and this is related- I don't think "fine" food is on a different plane than most food. I have had Waygu beef- and it is only a tiny bit better than typical beef. I have had $200 wine- and I can't even tell the difference from $10 wine.

If someone has a hobby of loving fine food, there are tons of restaurants on the ground to pursue that hobby. But it's just that- a hobby. There isn't some inherent superiority to fine food, a point you note. And business class on an airline doesn't have to cater to that hobby.

I’m not really sure why having work to do and having good food have to be mutually exclusive for you. As has been noted by many here, there are hundreds of other airlines out there that manage to do both. One shouldn’t need to fly in F to enjoy a palatable meal, especially when many of the J tickets being sold by UA are well over $6000.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
​​​​​​
I don't get this at all. It's business class. A product pitched to people who have work to do. The food should be decent, but really, I would never expect five star restaurant food in business class..
I disagree and you are missing the point , business class is pitched at people traveling for business, it is not a flying office , I do and have done many long hauls without doing any work because I have been or will be running around a region doing 60/70 hours a week while there.Sometimes the food I get is the only food I have had in hours and when I have paid $7/8000 for a ticket I want good quality.It is also pitched heavily as a luxury travel product and is for some perhaps a significant component of a once in a lifetime travel experience. The theme of the thread is not that it needs to be five star (I would take 3 from the current 1)it is that it is bad and getting worse as part of a deliberate strategy by UA management to further cheapen an already shoddy food product.
st530 and manstein58 like this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 2:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cmd320
I’m not really sure why having work to do and having good food have to be mutually exclusive for you. As has been noted by many here, there are hundreds of other airlines out there that manage to do both. One shouldn’t need to fly in F to enjoy a palatable meal, especially when many of the J tickets being sold by UA are well over $6000.
They aren’t mutually exclusive to said poster. Witness this gem
At any rate, Polaris food is delicious.
What is there to debate?
manstein58 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by wanderingkev
I disagree and you are missing the point , business class is pitched at people traveling for business, it is not a flying office , I do and have done many long hauls without doing any work because I have been or will be running around a region doing 60/70 hours a week while there.Sometimes the food I get is the only food I have had in hours and when I have paid $7/8000 for a ticket I want good quality.It is also pitched heavily as a luxury travel product and is for some perhaps a significant component of a once in a lifetime travel experience. The theme of the thread is not that it needs to be five star (I would take 3 from the current 1)it is that it is bad and getting worse as part of a deliberate strategy by UA management to further cheapen an already shoddy food product.
By dilanesp logic there should be no TV, movies, pillows blankets and lie flat seats. You’d be fired for watching movies and sleeping in the office. No alcohol either. Wheeled office chair, plastic carpet runner, fluorescent lamp. Done. F class gets the sit and stand option.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 2:57 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
​​​​​​

I think Polaris food is basically fine, but there is absolutely zero question that the quality & variety of ingredients in the Swiss food pictured is substantially better than the norm on UA. Anyone who knows anything about food can see this is obviously the case.

In addition, as others have said, it seems quite off-topic in a thread discussing the quality of UA food to keep asserting over and over and over that the quality of UA food doesn't matter and that travelers shouldn't care. Obviously the travelers posting actual opinions about the quality of UA food on this thread do care, so maybe find a thread with a topic of greater personal interest?
st530 and DELee like this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I will say, I think I am required to take all of UA_Flyer's posts with a grain of salt though, as the quality of the photography is so high it can make almost any meal look amazing
Old Feb 26, 2020, 3:20 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
​​​​​​

... I have had Waygu beef- and it is only a tiny bit better than typical beef. I have had $200 wine- and I can't even tell the difference from $10 wine.
I think very, very few folks who fly J could careless about about food as they are going to work for the 8-10-12-14-15 hour flight. I actually rarely see people working solid in J (I do at times in domestic F). And personally at the end of a trip, and often at the begaining, I want to relax and try to adjust to the time change...

And oh, having expresso availble is a big part of that - something UA lacks.

But you give the game away, if a $10 wine tastes the same as a $200 wine, then this discussion is lost on you. Most J passagners' can, and they can also tell the difference between a $10 wine and a $25+ wine, which is what the competiton is serving. As to Wagu, no one is expecting that, but most Americans can tell the difference between a decent cut of steak (the old filet) and a cheap cut like UA serves. Most american's also can tell the difference between a well presented meal and a bunch of slop on a single tray.

But power to you if $10 wine is just as good for you as $25+ wine on a $6-12K RT J ticket...
Old Feb 26, 2020, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
As does bringing up logistics. Amen.
My apology! The overhead light (above my seat) was not working on the Swiss Air flight, so I had to use the reading spot light, which was harsh lighting for meal photos.

The meals were tasty and not bland at all, and looked a lot better than shown in my photos.

Originally Posted by findark
I will say, I think I am required to take all of UA_Flyer's posts with a grain of salt though, as the quality of the photography is so high it can make almost any meal look amazing
You are embarrassing me, because I cannot make UA meals look average (from bad).
Old Feb 26, 2020, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
My apology! The overhead light (above my seat) was not working on the Swiss Air flight, so I had to use the reading spot light, which was harsh lighting for meal photos.

The meals were tasty and not bland at all, and looked a lot better than shown in my photos.

You are embarrassing me, because I cannot make UA meals look average (from bad).
Glad the Swiss meal was executed well. As to UA, the Thai curry chicken and tomato soup both photo well and taste pretty good. It’s sad when the midflight snack is the star.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 2:06 am

But you give the game away, if a $10 wine tastes the same as a $200 wine, then this discussion is lost on you. Most J passagners' can, and they can also tell the difference between a $10 wine and a $25+ wine, which is what the competiton is serving. As to Wagu, no one is expecting that, but most Americans can tell the difference between a decent cut of steak (the old filet) and a cheap cut like UA serves. Most american's also can tell the difference between a well presented meal and a bunch of slop on a single tray.
This. No one expects UA to offer an Michelin rated experience. But compared to the competition, UA's J food is terrible. What makes this so sad is that it used to be much better, like when Polaris was rolled out.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Glad the Swiss meal was executed well. As to UA, the Thai curry chicken and tomato soup both photo well and taste pretty good. It’s sad when the midflight snack is the star.
Even that one can come out badly.

Originally Posted by hirohito888
SFO-FRA
UA58

Boeing 777-300ER
Meal: dinner and breakfast

Same as the IAD-FRA menu posted above.

Flight crew was rather aloof which made the meal service extra speedy, everything was finished in under 90min.

Menu
img
img

img

Skipped breakfast.
(I think the problem lay in the food preparation rather than the photography quality.)
Old Feb 27, 2020, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You'd think such a food & wine snob would know how to spell Wagyu!
Old Feb 27, 2020, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by fumje

(I think the problem lay in the food preparation rather than the photography quality.)
Totally agree! That is the one of the two main reasons I have stopped posting UA meal photos since pre-plating (the other being the quality).

You can’t make ugly ducks look like swans....
Old Feb 27, 2020, 8:37 am

Programs: Amex Cent, DE Plat, UA1K, Globalist, etc.
Agree w all here

Cafeteria food in Polaris is pretty correct so I eat on the ground or bring food. I take the setups.

I also carry a small bottle of hot sauce and packets of condiments.

Years ago I was flying Continental and the pilot made a cabin announcement, “I know we are having chicken today because I heard a flight attendant say it was fowl”. Well nothing has changed!

Even on Austrian, the schnitzel is soggy. So while there may be exceptions, they are not the rule.

My offhand advice to United is to keep the food simple, nutritious and healthy - we’d appreciate organic items and perhaps some condiments. I have no illusions that anything will change however.
manstein58 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.