Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Were The Early 80's Really That Much Better On UA Than Now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Were The Early 80's Really That Much Better On UA Than Now?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2019, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by dilanesp
That story doesn't say that. It actually says that RJ proliferation has brought averages down. Which is true.
And while we love to hate (certain) RJs on FlyerTalk, they sure beat bouncing around in an un-pressurized United Express turbo-prop. This is a huge improvement over flying conditions in the 80s
narvik and dilanesp like this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by findark
Restaurants, primarily, and I would imagine some of the food cooked at home. The availability of a diverse and high-quality set of ethnic food has drastically increased in the last 50 years. "Fast food" now means Chipotle or Panera or a huge host of other competitors in the "fast casual" space instead of a McDonalds equivalent or nothing. You can get a decent beer in almost any bar, instead of Budweiser only. Our conception of dinner has evolved beyond tasteless steamed vegetables, meatloaf, and potatoes. So I think that plane food has a heck of a lot more to compete with today than it did in 1975. Even just in an airport terminal, the dining options are worlds better today then as recently as 1995.
I agree 100%. While quality may have diminished if you are on a strict anglo-american meat and potatoes diet variety has exploded. Even on flights to Europe there are asian-influenced menu choices.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by dilanesp
Let's be clear here. There are a few mainline jets that have some 30 inch pitch seat. That's a significant reduction. I have never said otherwise.

But most seat pitch is at 31. You know what it was when I started flying? 31-32. The sentences you are referring to are poorly (and I would argue dishonestly) worded, but what they are saying is this- there used to be some errant 33's and 34's around, and now there aren't. Which is half-true- there are, but you have to pay for them (economy plus). And there used to be no 30's, but now there are a few.

But the only thing that the article says is bringing the average down is the proliferation of RJ's, many of which have terrible pitch. Which is also true.

But bottom line, a traveler who purchases Economy Plus is getting better seat pitch then I got on almost all of my Y flights in the 1980's and 1990's. Seriously, the only times I got more pitch in economy was when I lucked into an exit row. Rest of the time, modern E+ is better. It costs money, but it's better.

And honestly, nobody here should be opposed to spending that money. First of all, if you fly enough you get it for free. But even if you don't- it's not like any of us are flying Spirit with its 28 inch pitch. We all think it's worth extra money to fly United, right? So it's worth a little on top of that to fly economy plus, and a little on top of that to get a much better meal at an airline terminal. Having to spend additional money is not some sort of outrage, especially since air travel is cheap by historical standards.
Every UA A320 and A319 has an E- seat pitch of 30”.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Interesting, I'm the opposite. I'm not a shopper - always take time to stroll around the shops at Heathrow to see what they have, I don't buy anything but find it interesting to walk around......
What airport was I in? Duty Free had home appliances in it. Dish washers, clothes washers, etc. I had a hard time understanding that. Yea. I'll take two of those as carry-on...
Was it Colombo, Sri Lanka?
wrp96 likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Every UA A320 and A319 has an E- seat pitch of 30”.
Easily avoided by purchasing E+ (and those planes are a smallish percentage of the total number of Y seats sold by UA).
Old Dec 6, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by Long Zhiren
Yea. I'll take two of those as carry-on...
You seem to be overlooking the Emotional Support Dishwasher!
jsloan, seat38a and JimInOhio like this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by GregoryGardner
And while we love to hate (certain) RJs on FlyerTalk, they sure beat bouncing around in an un-pressurized United Express turbo-prop. This is a huge improvement over flying conditions in the 80s
Not untrue! ^

I recall a flight on one of those puddle jumpers (UA or CO, I forget) in the 90's.
Flight was Buffalo, NY to EWR. Took off. Pretty bouncy.

Shortly before EWR, captain says EWR closed, will re-route to Albany, NY.
Shortly before Albany, captain announces Albany now also closed, so re-route back to Buffalo.

FA falls at one point due to turbulence, but not before throwing some trays in the air. A few pax hit their head. Some interesting minutes later we land safe-and(mostly)-sound in Rochester, NY.

Total in-air time about 1 hour 40 minutes, IIRC, for about 70 miles actual distance from starting point.

I believe that was the last time I flew one of those things...
GregoryGardner likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by narvik
Not untrue! ^

I recall a flight on one of those puddle jumpers (UA or CO, I forget) in the 90's.
Flight was Buffalo, NY to EWR. Took off. Pretty bouncy.

Shortly before EWR, captain says EWR closed, will re-route to Albany, NY.
Shortly before Albany, captain announces Albany now also closed, so re-route back to Buffalo.

FA falls at one point due to turbulence, but not before throwing some trays in the air. A few pax hit their head. Some interesting minutes later we land safe-and(mostly)-sound in Rochester, NY.

Total in-air time about 1 hour 40 minutes, IIRC, for about 70 miles actual distance from starting point.

I believe that was the last time I flew one of those things...
I was on some Horizon Air turboprop back in the early 1990's, flying Bellingham to Seattle. The back row of the plane had a center seat (no lavatory behind the last row), and the cockpit door still remained open in those days. So I could see right out the front of the plane....

And I saw, as we tried to land at SEA in a terrible thunderstom, the airplane get blown way way off the course of the runway, and the pilot having to dive back to get the plane on the ground in the right spot. It was literally the only time I have ever been scared on an airplane.
GregoryGardner likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
"Fast food" now means Chipotle or Panera or a huge host of other competitors in the "fast casual" space instead of a McDonalds equivalent or nothing. You can get a decent beer in almost any bar, instead of Budweiser only. Our conception of dinner has evolved beyond tasteless steamed vegetables, meatloaf, and potatoes.
Oh cmon we are talking about 1980s USA, not 1980s USSR right?
Old Dec 6, 2019, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
Yes? I'm not quite sure the level of sarcasm here - neither McDonalds nor Budweiser were ever in Soviet Russia, and I won't comment on Soviet cuisine but "steak and potatoes" is the stereotypical American dinner and they're not talking filet mignon.

I can't really quantify any of these, but I really don't think there's much argument that the quality and variety of food and drink in average restaurants is much higher today than in the 80s. I can certainly vouch on the beer front that local brewing is a new phenomenon. Ok, maybe there was Miller or Coors or Yuengling but hardly anything more than that.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 1:56 pm

In the suburb I grew up in, in 1983, there were two nice steakhouses, and two Denny's equivalents. And then there was some fast food. You could drive a few miles for some culinary variety.

Nowadays, that same place, with the same population, has a whole bunch of good chain restaurants and ethnic food places.
findark likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Yes? I'm not quite sure the level of sarcasm here - neither McDonalds nor Budweiser were ever in Soviet Russia
McDonald's opened their first restaurant two months after the Berlin Wall fell but before the U.S.S.R. collapsed.

Ok, maybe there was Miller or Coors or Yuengling but hardly anything more than that.
Coors was a regional brand then. It wasn't even sold in Oregon until the 80's. There were a lot more regional breweries both brands and physical facilities, though some were owned by the majors just like today's craft brands.

Getting back on track, another thing that's mostly disappeared is tarmac delays. I can recall flying through ORD around 1990 in a developing blizzard and was on the plane 5+ hours, most of that was waiting to return to a gate. Luckily for young me, there was Channel 9. I remember getting amenity kits from a UA agent after deboarding too. Branded plastic case with toothbrush/toothpaste/razor/cream inside. Of course, all hotels were booked solid by then.
seat38a and dilanesp like this.

Last edited by rustykettel; Dec 6, 2019 at 2:35 pm
Old Dec 6, 2019, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
I feel like the average food on the ground has gotten a lot better since the 80s too, which will influence perceptions.
Nowadays, that same place, with the same population, has a whole bunch of good chain restaurants and ethnic food places.

The original comment used the term "better". The fact that there's more types of food just means exactly that , there's more variety. Is the average fast food burger or steakhouse steak or whatever "better"? I submit not.

Airplane food can be miles "better" and still just have a choice of chicken or beef.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 4:43 pm

The original comment used the term "better". The fact that there's more types of food just means exactly that , there's more variety. Is the average fast food burger or steakhouse steak or whatever "better"? I submit not.

Airplane food can be miles "better" and still just have a choice of chicken or beef.
Variety is a huge component of "better", though I would also say that the Wolfgang Puck Pizza stands in LAC and ONT serve better food than ANY food that was available at any public restaurant in those airports' terminals in 1985. And I could say the same thing about numerous other restaurants at current airports.
seat38a likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 5:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hilton HHonors, AAdvantage, Tier 8 Status - Hotel Tonight
I was only alive for a few years in the 1980s but I can safely say that in the late 1990s flying United was better than now. Overhead IFE or looped PTVs and the meals in Economy were good. In Economy, I remember flying MIA-ORD-EWR and getting a full breakfast on a 777 on MIA-ORD and a cheeseburger on ORD-EWR which was on a 757 in 2000. The seats on the 757 were older though and the interior looked a bit worn at the time.

CO was a different story. The meals served in Coach were the same in 1995 as they were in 2006 believe it or not. They were never all that great but were heavily promoted right before they discontinued them.

COEX service on the ATRs to EWR = Woof. Almost crashed landed in one flying BTV-EWR in 1993 and near motion sickness on MHT-EWR in 1999.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.