Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

LHR Terminal 2 United Club, GS Lounge (was GFL) & Arrivals Lounge Discussion[Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 11, 2019, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an Archive thread, the active thread is LHR Terminal 2 United Club, GS Lounge (was GFL) and Arrivals Lounge Discussion Thread

related thread: Consolidated connection time/logistics at LHR

Comparative Review of Five Different Star Alliance Lounges at Heathrow T2

Arrival Lounge Hours 5 AM - 2 PM
United Club Hours 5 AM - 10 PM
Global First Class Lounge Hours 5 AM - 10 PM
Print Wikipost

LHR Terminal 2 United Club, GS Lounge (was GFL) & Arrivals Lounge Discussion[Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2014, 4:56 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Some of these points are fair but overall I think the comment is unfair - by the same token, UA should not receive praise for anything good they do
Sorry if I conveyed a negative impression. It is a good lunge and UA deserve praise. All I say it is by no means an excellent or WOW lounge as being portrayed. It has many limitations and there remain far better lounges - even at LHR. A play room is important. Many passengers always travel with their children and they are entitled to a lounge as much as you or I. A place for a three year old to play is good because it keeps the toddlers occupied and allows business pax to work in peace. In time of IRROPs if a family has to wait hours in the lounge then you need to keep kids occupied.

I have found lounge crowded on three visits but maybe those were unusually heavy days
Old Sep 10, 2014, 2:47 pm

Programs: '19 Global Services, 1.9m+ lifetime CO miles
What are they going to do about the 40-50min walk between the Heathrow Express and the UA gates. It is totally ridiculous. There needs to be some sort of massive use of golf carts. Flew in on Tues AM and took 20+mins to walk from plane side to customs and another 20+min to the train. Folks might think about taking a car service to T2 rather than dealing with the length of additional time to get to the check in.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by raiachat
What are they going to do about the 40-50min walk between the Heathrow Express and the UA gates. It is totally ridiculous. There needs to be some sort of massive use of golf carts. Flew in on Tues AM and took 20+mins to walk from plane side to customs and another 20+min to the train. Folks might think about taking a car service to T2 rather than dealing with the length of additional time to get to the check in.
It's long but it's nowhere near that long unless you are a VERY slow walker. It took me 10 minutes to reach Customs earlier this week, and we parked about midway along the pier. It's then less than 10 minutes from the exit to Customs to the Tube - a little longer to the Heathrow Express. But then I walk fast, and there are moving walkways for much of the route.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 11:31 pm

Programs: '19 Global Services, 1.9m+ lifetime CO miles
I'm about as fast a walker as there is and just did the exact same walk on the return this morning. no need to exercise after the 40+min walk from train to UA lounge.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by raiachat
I'm about as fast a walker as there is and just did the exact same walk on the return this morning. no need to exercise after the 40+min walk from train to UA lounge.
A fast walk is approx. 3.5 mph (around a 17 minute mile). You're saying it's 2.5 miles?
Old Sep 14, 2014, 6:09 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
LHR Terminal 2 United Club, GlobalFirst Lounge, and Arrivals Lounge Discussion Thread

Dep Paddington on Heathrow Express 12:10pm, at UA desk for passport check 12:35. So approx 10 minutes from HEX to T2 departures. And I just ran a 10K this morning
Old Sep 20, 2014, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
LHR T2, United Club, Espresso Martini

Currently sitting here having just extinguished an espresso Martini, I have to say that it is really one of the best ! Don't forget to try one ! My only decision now is whether to have another. Cough.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Go for it. I'm not sure if the combo will aid or hinder sleep, but you have a multi-hour experiment to find out.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Go for it. I'm not sure if the combo will aid or hinder sleep, but you have a multi-hour experiment to find out.
Aided
Old Sep 21, 2014, 6:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by skyhedgehog
Personally, I'm quite thrilled with the new LHR lounge. Having been the launch party of it and having been in the Global First Lounge, I can honestly say I prefer the Business Lounge. Much brighter, nicer decor etc.

Bar staff in there are really friendly and never judge me when I ask for one of their virgin cocktails with a shot of rum in at 6am.

Food is really good too, they provide vegetarian sausages which is a big deal for me.
I also really liked the new lounge last week! Friendly bar service, not all that crowded, reasonably good food, light and airy. We're not talking to the level of the Virgin Atlantic flagship lounge, but the new UA one is really nice - well done United!

The most amazing thing though was that I was the only passenger in the Fast Track security area (separate from regular security) while they screened my carry-on. Just a fluke I know...
Old Sep 21, 2014, 7:35 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by StingWest
I also really liked the new lounge last week! Friendly bar service, not all that crowded, reasonably good food, light and airy. We're not talking to the level of the Virgin Atlantic flagship lounge, but the new UA one is really nice - well done United!

The most amazing thing though was that I was the only passenger in the Fast Track security area (separate from regular security) while they screened my carry-on. Just a fluke I know...
Not a fluke. I have been through fast-track on three occasions and was the only passenger in all - zero wait and unhurried friendly chat with security agent. I think that will change when T2 is fully populated later this year.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 7:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Dep Paddington on Heathrow Express 12:10pm, at UA desk for passport check 12:35. So approx 10 minutes from HEX to T2 departures. And I just ran a 10K this morning
So if it's 2.5 miles (per prior post, above), you ran 4 minute miles through the terminal? Count me impressed
Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Kacee
So if it's 2.5 miles (per prior post, above), you ran 4 minute miles through the terminal? Count me impressed
Wow, so am I! Felt like I was just walking at a decent pace!
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:09 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Flying Global First FRA-IAD this week. Does this give me access to LH First Lounge @ FRA?
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by manstein58
Flying Global First FRA-IAD this week. Does this give me access to LH First Lounge @ FRA?
That's unrelated to London lounges, the topic of this thread... but either way, the answer is no. You will only have access to Lufthansa's Senator and Business lounges. There's a plethora of them.

The closest you can get to a Lufthansa First Lounge is by visiting the Business Lounge by gate A26 which is a converted First Lounge and has retained many amenities (fancy showers, bar with barista, private work rooms, dining room, etc.): http://airportbliss.com/places/lufth...ounge-fra-a26/

If that's too far out of the way, stick with the Senator Lounge by gate Z50.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.