Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

LHR Terminal 2 United Club, GS Lounge (was GFL) & Arrivals Lounge Discussion[Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 11, 2019, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an Archive thread, the active thread is LHR Terminal 2 United Club, GS Lounge (was GFL) and Arrivals Lounge Discussion Thread

related thread: Consolidated connection time/logistics at LHR

Comparative Review of Five Different Star Alliance Lounges at Heathrow T2

Arrival Lounge Hours 5 AM - 2 PM
United Club Hours 5 AM - 10 PM
Global First Class Lounge Hours 5 AM - 10 PM
Print Wikipost

LHR Terminal 2 United Club, GS Lounge (was GFL) & Arrivals Lounge Discussion[Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2014, 8:24 am

Is LHR one of the last UA destinations still flying full-sized jets? How long until the regional/barbie jets start being the plane of choice for LHR flights too?
Old Jun 7, 2014, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by starflyer
Is LHR one of the last UA destinations still flying full-sized jets? How long until the regional/barbie jets start being the plane of choice for LHR flights too?
To be fair, they have upgauged the fleet of "TATL RJs" (757s) that used to go EWR-LHR.

IMO Int'l BF routes aren't the key issue with UA.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: UA Gold,1MM, Hilton Honors Silver, Marriott Gold, BA Blue
Has anyone visited the new arrivals lounge and can report on it?
Old Jun 7, 2014, 11:10 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Hopefully the arrivals lounge will be open long enough to accommodate the later flights from the West Coast.
The hours seem to be 05:00 - 14:00 and the lounge is open to UA, AC and SA passengers.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by starflyer
What....really?

On another note, I am looking forward to the new GF facilities when I head to LHR in a few months. Looks good UA ^
Old Jun 7, 2014, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
The hours seem to be 05:00 - 14:00 and the lounge is open to UA, AC and SA passengers.
Seems like should be opened later, considering flights at 15:20 to ORD and 16:20 to IAD!
Old Jun 7, 2014, 2:20 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Seems like should be opened later, considering flights at 15:20 to ORD and 16:20 to IAD!
My post was in reply to a question about the arrivals lounge. The United Club and the GF Lounge are open 05:00 to 22:00.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
My post was in reply to a question about the arrivals lounge. The United Club and the GF Lounge are open 05:00 to 22:00.
Oops, thanks! Good to know about the Arrivals lounge then!
Old Jun 7, 2014, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA Plt HertzpresC Avisfirst
Pics look very nice. Looks like they were inspired by the Centurion lounge style.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
The arrivals lounge hours are the same as they were in T1. I have always been annoyed that they wouldn't stay open for the arrival of the second SFO flight at 14:05. Why couldn't they close at 15:00?
Old Jun 8, 2014, 10:38 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Perhaps comment would be better after visiting. There is no way that T3 is better than T2 - T3 is a very old terminal with oppressively low ceilings, whereas T2 is a very modern terminal with very high ceilings and light everywhere.

It's not relevant now, but the T1 *A lounge I visited every month most certainly did have windows - quite large numbers of them, which I always sat beside. I will agree that the view was of nothing, but there were windows and there was natural light.

There is no way that the old T3 RCC was better than the new UC in T2 (other than the booze was self service. Everything else is a huge improvement. As to LHR being a 3rd world airport, it depends how you define 3rd world, I suppose. It's clearly not as glitzy as quite a few modern airports in what used to be called the 3rd world, but then it's an awful lot better than many airports in what used to be called the 1st world - LAX or ORD or IAD spring to mind. In fact T2 and T5 are really very nice and T4 is quite ok. T1 is about to be demolished so is no longer relevant. That only leaves T3, but we don't have to worry about that in this section of FT.
I think you have misunderstood me.

T3 had oppressively low ceilings, except in lounges, specifically the Red Carpet Club, where the ceilings were noticeably higher than those in the T1 Star Alliance Lounge.

It looks to me as if the T2 ceilings and United Club ceilings are much higher than both, which is great.

Regarding windows, it depends how you define them. What the T1 *A lounge had was opaque glass with artificial daylighting behind, similar to what you get in the tunnel between concourses B and C at ORD. Not real windows, and no view of the outside world.

When I say 3rd World, I mean much longer hikes without aids like travelators than any American airport I can think of. The walk in T1 was three times as long as that in T3, and now we hear (both in this thread and the other that is currently discussing T2) that it will be even worse in T2. That is not traveller-friendly. I have hated the hike to the gates from the lounge in T1 (in comparison with the easy stroll that T3 used to be, and the equally unpleasant hike from the gates to passport control on the way in. There is absolutely no excuse for building a terminal these days where that is the case.

I also mean those ghastly luggage carts which are clapped out and dirty, have square wheels, dowdy metal, are too small, and give a disgraceful impression to anyone arriving in the country. Why on earth they can't scrap them and replace them with carts based on the US design, which are easier to steer, run smoothly, have room for a decent amount of luggage, look better and last longer, I do not know.

I'll be interested to see the baggage hall in T2 when I fly into it. T3 was reasonably well organized. In T1, there was no display as you entered the hall to tell you which carousel you needed to go to. That infornation was located on a small board halfway into the hall: to get to it, you had to pass two of the carousels — often including the one you wanted, when it would be necessary to go back.

Lavatories in T1 were quite simply inadequate, and badly distributed.

Third World standards = treating pax without due consideration in my book.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by 1P
Regarding windows, it depends how you define them. What the T1 *A lounge had was opaque glass with artificial daylighting behind, similar to what you get in the tunnel between concourses B and C at ORD. Not real windows, and no view of the outside world.
I haven't been in the T1 *A lounge for some time but there were definitely real windows at one end of the lounge. As you will see below the ceiling of the section with the windows was much higher than the rest of the lounge and the light behind the glass was not artificial.

Here's another photo.

I wouldn't be surprised they blocked off the windows in recent years since they were very close to the construction site of T2. (See the map below. The grey area at the bottom is the check-in hall of T2.)

When I say 3rd World, I mean much longer hikes without aids like travelators than any American airport I can think of. The walk in T1 was three times as long as that in T3, and now we hear (both in this thread and the other that is currently discussing T2) that it will be even worse in T2. That is not traveller-friendly. I have hated the hike to the gates from the lounge in T1 (in comparison with the easy stroll that T3 used to be, and the equally unpleasant hike from the gates to passport control on the way in. There is absolutely no excuse for building a terminal these days where that is the case.
Yes, the connecting tunnel is rather long but there are travelators. Since there are separate departure and arrival tunnels, travelators only go in one direction. There is a plan to build a transit system connecting T2A, T2B and T2C when the latter is eventually built. A tunnel for the transit system must already exist under the walkways connecting T2A and T2B since there is a blank panel in the elevator below Level -3, which is the walkway tunnel level, suggesting there is a level below.

I'll be interested to see the baggage hall in T2 when I fly into it. T3 was reasonably well organized. In T1, there was no display as you entered the hall to tell you which carousel you needed to go to. That infornation was located on a small board halfway into the hall: to get to it, you had to pass two of the carousels — often including the one you wanted, when it would be necessary to go back.
There is a display panel as you enter the baggage hall. This one is on your left but there may be another one on the right that I didn't notice.

The great thing about the baggage hall is if you don't have any checked baggage you can just walk straight towards the customs and exit. You don't have to walk around baggage carousels. Check page 6 of this map.

From what I've seen as a trial volunteer 2.5 weeks before the terminal opened, T2 is far better than T1 or T3 and of course the old T2.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 6:58 pm

Programs: United 'Cattle Car', American, JetBlue Airways, Marriott Rewards 'Gold', Amtrak AGR 'Select'
Very nice pictures. Love to visit someday when I go back to London
Old Jun 9, 2014, 1:04 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
Once T2 has all the Star carriers, I am curious to see how the AC, SQ, and LH lounges compare to the new United Club.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 12:13 am

Thanks for all the great reviews and tips.

I'm curious to hear if someone can confirm there is in fact an airside connection between T2 and T1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.