Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New Premier Qualification Requirements for 2020: Only Spend or Spend + Flight Sectors

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 11, 2019, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
tl;dr - PQMs/PQDs/PQS going away, replaced with PQPs. $1 = 1 PQP. See chart below for thresholds:
ex

New Status Measures
Premier Qualifying Points (PQP): Basically the same as PQD. Everything that was a PQD continues to count, plus:

• Copay component of miles+copay upgrades
  • Paid upgrades (TOD or "sticker-type")
  • Travel on partner airlines on partner stock (awarded as a fraction of the distance, similar to DL)

Premier Qualifying Flights (PQF): Same as BIS segments (no class of service bonus) except Basic Economy and award tickets don't count.

PQP Earning on Partners
You can now earn PQP on non-016 tickets when flying eligible partners.

"Preferred" Partners (mostly JV partners): 1/5 of the RDM earned, excluding status bonuses (but including fare class) on AC AD AV CA CM EW LH LX NH NZ OS SN.
Others: 1/6 of the RDM earned, excluding status bonuses (but including fare class) on other airlines with MP earnings available.

Note: Because all partners earn RDM by distance when not on an 016-ticket, this effectively awards PQP by distance, from 40% in many JV First and Business cabins to 5% in things like LX K.

Preferred partners:

• Air Canada
  • Air China
  • Air New Zealand
  • All Nippon Airways
  • Austrian Airlines
  • Avianca
  • Azul Brazilian Airlines
  • Brussels Airlines
  • Copa Airlines
  • Eurowings
  • Lufthansa
  • SWISS International Airlines
MileagePlus partners:

• Aegean Airlines
  • Air Dolomiti
  • Air India
  • Asiana Airlines
  • Croatia Airlines
  • Edelweiss
  • EgyptAir
  • Ethiopian Airlines
  • EVA Air
  • Juneyao Air
  • LOT Polish Airlines
  • Olympic Air
  • SAS
  • Shenzhen Airlines
  • Singapore Airlines
  • South African Airways
  • TAP Air Portugal
  • Thai Airways International
  • Turkish Airlines

Bulk Tickets
Per UA Insider in this post: Yes you will now earn PQP on bulk tickets but not necessarily for the cash value since the price of the ticket is opaque. Bulk tickets will be equal to the award miles you earn for the ticket (excluding Premier bonus miles, if any) divided by 5.

Foreign Addresses
The PQD waiver for foreign MP addresses will no longer apply beginning in 2020.

Credit Card Holders
The PQD waivers and PQM earnings from all Chase cards are ending. Instead, Chase cards allow you to earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 of eligible spend, but only up to the following limits:

1,000 PQP / $24,000: MP Explorer, MP Club, MP Awards, and MP cards, plus their business equivalents (bonus PQP do not count for 1K)
3,000 PQP / $72,000: MP Select and MP Platinum cards
10,000 PQP / $240,000: Presidential Plus and PP Business cards

Existing Flexible PQM (FPQM) on eligible cards will become FPQP at a 5:1 ratio on 01-Apr-20 and will only be applicable through Platinum status.

Originally Posted by UA Insider
United is updating the way MileagePlus members qualify for Premier status in 2020 for the 2021 program year. We recognized that distance was not the best way for us to measure customer loyalty, which is why we are introducing a new qualification structure to better deliver Premier benefits to our most valued customers. In 2020, members will only need to account for two factors to earn status: number of flights taken (Premier Qualifying Flights) and value of tickets purchased (Premier Qualifying Points).

Premier Qualifying Flights (PQF): every flight, a takeoff and landing, will count as a PQF except Basic Economy and tickets booked using miles.

Premier Qualifying Points (PQP): 1 PQP = 1 U.S. dollar spent. You will earn PQPs on the base fare of your ticket (no taxes and fees), Economy Plus and Preferred seat purchases, and now on paid upgrades, MileagePlus upgrade award co-pays and credit for Star Alliance partner flights not ticketed or operated by United.

Qualification requirements for 2020
Here’s how members will qualify for each Premier status level starting January 1, 2020 for status in the 2021 program year:

United Cardmembers who are eligible for a PQD waiver, PQM, or Flexible PQM (FPQM) based on annual card spend will be offered new ways to earn Premier qualifying points (PQP) based on annual card spend. The ability to earn a PQD waiver, PQM, or FPQM on these cards will end on December 31, 2019.

Learn more: https://mileageplusupdates.com/milea...qualification/
Print Wikipost

New Premier Qualification Requirements for 2020: Only Spend or Spend + Flight Sectors

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
jumping from 12K to 15K to 18K so quickly is ridiculous and then to add a 24K just for giggles is ridiculous
I know right? It's gone from $10K to $24K in what, 3 or 4 years? I was perfectly happy to pay $5K in base fares for Gold status but $10K? No thanks. In Argentina, I could understand this type of inflation. But in the US? That's ridiculous.
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by chavala
I would have been perfectly willing (but not happy) to shell out $18k next year. But since I only fly international, there is no way I can make 54 segments, even if I made an extra stop each way (and who wants to do that?).
Maybe it's silly, but I feel betrayed. As if I've been fired from a job I've been loyal to for 30 years. I followed all the rules, never called in sick, but they decided I'm not valuable to them anymore.
+1

Among my circle, I am known as the person to ask about travel planning. I'll bet that this is a common trait among FTers.

Over the years, I can't count the number of times that I've been asked, "Is United really that bad?" Then I would often encourage the person to give them a try, under the right circumstances and with the right approach to get a satisfactory outcome.

I have a feeling that I'll be encouraging people to try Alaska, Icelandair, Fiji Airways, etc., after 2021. In fact, a friend emailed yesterday after getting the email on the premier qualification enhancements and is now re-activating his Alaska Mileage Plan account.

I wonder whether United accounts for any value in customer promotion among it's soon to be ex-most frequent fliers. Does that show up on their spreadsheets?
Old Oct 13, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Correct, as long the ticket is not basic economy.

The main thread has all of the info - look for the Wiki at the top of the page: New Premier Qualification Requirements for 2020: Only Spend or Spend + Flight Sectors
Thanks! And no, no basic economy fares. Might be discounted fare class, but not basic economy.

Originally Posted by glbltvlr
If you are ticketed as segments (i.e different flight numbers) then yes. If you are ticketed as a origin destination city pair that happens to stop in another city, then no.
Yes, PDX-SFO, SFO-LHR, LHR-ORD, ORD-PDX will each have their own separate flight numbers.

Well, if this holds up, I might be able to make it work and retain 1k going into 2021. Will be tricky but doable with a big heaping serving of luck.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by tallasadoor
All of the above calculations mean nothing until accrual charts are confirmed.

Unless they WANT the long-haul Y and PY traveler to fly with partners. The only loss for them is MM accrual.
I can guarantee UA is monitoring this thread and the partner qualification shortcut we're discussing so much will be something they'll be evaluating further. Whether anything changes remains to be seen.

If something does change relative to this, I can guarantee which way it will go...
Old Oct 13, 2019, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
So, if I buy a ticket from AC (non-016) to London from Honolulu, all AC flights except one UA flight with UA flight #, do I get the preferred partner PQP for the whole thing or will the UA flight be broken out in the calculation and earn UA's PQP?
Old Oct 13, 2019, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
So, if I buy a ticket from AC (non-016) to London from Honolulu, all AC flights except one UA flight with UA flight #, do I get the preferred partner PQP for the whole thing or will the UA flight be broken out in the calculation and earn UA's PQP?
The bolded. Same as the case now.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by SF1K
It seems on this board there’s always a lot of discussion about the highest status levels (probably because that’s what most people think is valuable). But I’m wondering with the new system do people feel that all levels are more/less difficult to obtain?

I mean in simple terms it’s almost like $4k minimum for just Silver, $8k for Gold and $12k for Platinum. That seems significantly more than what one would need to fly 25/50/75 miles? I know there’s some credit card ways and a few other things that count now like upgrades. But especially the Platinum seems almost as difficult as 1K used to be?
I think the calculation there is that for low/mid-frequency fliers, actually flying/investing time is more difficult than putting money into status tiers. If I have 6 primarily domestic flights/year, it'd be challenging to get to Silver based on PQM, and family/other obligations may prevent me from taking additional flights to get to 25k. Conversely, it's easier if I can strategically upgrade some flights, spend some extra cash on a domestic first ticket, do refundable Y over cheapest option, etc. to get to 4k spend.

[This probably applies more for people in silver shooting for gold, as there's no real benefit to spend anything extra to get to silver -- but just for illustration's sake, the example works.]
Old Oct 13, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
I can guarantee UA is monitoring this thread and the partner qualification shortcut we're discussing so much will be something they'll be evaluating further. Whether anything changes remains to be seen.

If something does change relative to this, I can guarantee which way it will go...
But is this a "bug" of the new program, or is it a "feature"? If someone does all of his/her flying off of UA metal, sure, he/she can earn status with UA, but UA also won't have to give him/her any benefits. And the RDM that he/she accumulates in his/her UA account basically amount to an interest-free loan until he/she redeems the miles. And UA can make sure they come out ahead with periodic devaluations.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pretty sure this thread isn't disclosing anything they don't already know. Probably the biggest unknown is how many people will take advantage of it .
Old Oct 13, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by transportprof
+1

Among my circle, I am known as the person to ask about travel planning. I'll bet that this is a common trait among FTers.

Over the years, I can't count the number of times that I've been asked, "Is United really that bad?" Then I would often encourage the person to give them a try, under the right circumstances and with the right approach to get a satisfactory outcome.

I have a feeling that I'll be encouraging people to try Alaska, Icelandair, Fiji Airways, etc., after 2021. In fact, a friend emailed yesterday after getting the email on the premier qualification enhancements and is now re-activating his Alaska Mileage Plan account.

I wonder whether United accounts for any value in customer promotion among it's soon to be ex-most frequent fliers. Does that show up on their spreadsheets?
That's me as well. And one of the "United apologists" on this forum. One who stuck up for them during the Dr. Dao fiasco, one who defends them on facebook...
Not only that, but when I moved to Fort Worth 8 years ago, AA offered me a match to Exec Plat, but I still stuck with UA! (What an idiot, right?)

I'll make 1K next month. I'll immediately use up my P+ on Skip the Waitlists for next year. After that, I'm buying business class on the most convenient flights - which means AA will be getting all my money.
The hell with status. The hell with United. I am so DONE.
nnn, as219, mechteach and 6 others like this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by transportprof
+1

Vast majority of the flying public has no emotional attachment to any one airline. As much as people talk about their favorites or airlines they want to avoid, price and schedule rule at the end of the day. Most people don't care about status; the criteria is to get them from A to B in the most direct route, and spending the least amount of time in a tube.

AS, FI, FJ? Interesting you are picking these three airlines with (largely) limited amount of market network.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist

Preferred partners:
  • Air Canada
  • Air China
  • Air New Zealand
  • All Nippon Airways
  • Austrian Airlines
  • Avianca
  • Azul Brazilian Airlines
  • Brussels Airlines
  • Copa Airlines
  • Eurowings
  • Lufthansa
  • SWISS International Airlines
I am surprised to see Air China on this list. All other airlines are either JV partners, LH Group or UA has equity investments in them. Does this may indicate UA will follow AA (CZ) and DL (MU) in making investments in Air China in the near future?
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by chavala
That's me as well. And one of the "United apologists" on this forum. One who stuck up for them during the Dr. Dao fiasco, one who defends them on facebook...
Not only that, but when I moved to Fort Worth 8 years ago, AA offered me a match to Exec Plat, but I still stuck with UA! (What an idiot, right?)

I'll make 1K next month. I'll immediately use up my P+ on Skip the Waitlists for next year. After that, I'm buying business class on the most convenient flights - which means AA will be getting all my money.
The hell with status. The hell with United. I am so DONE.
This song just about sums up how I feel about my relationship with UA right now. "We're through, no doubt. <expletives deleted>, I'm out." NOTE: video itself is completely SFW and doesn't have any audible expletives in it.

You should have seen the look on my wife's face when I told her about the UA updates. First, she asks me (half joking), "Are you gonna spend $8K?" Then I said "Nope. And the next time we go to China, we can fly CA or NH." And she looks at me and says NH! I flew them the first time I ever came to the US! Let's do it! So she's already a fan of the fact that I'll be a free agent next year.
nnn and chavala like this.

Last edited by STS-134; Oct 13, 2019 at 11:54 am
Old Oct 13, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by TomMM
Pretty sure this thread isn't disclosing anything they don't already know. Probably the biggest unknown is how many people will take advantage of it .
👍

I suspect the FT community is more likely to utilize the information. I must admit I did not understand the nuances until it was explained very well in this thread. If I were not on FT I would have been moving to a new FF program who I perceived valued my bargain spend.

Like most things in life you need to evaluate the program for your fact pattern. For example I always compared K fare + points + copay for upgrade vs W + GPU for the upgrade. That analysis will change under the PlusPoints program and now there will still be an analysis now that copays count for PQP. Complex but I will work it out as I fly on my own nickel not OPM.

United, I suspect, knew their US members complained about the foreign address waiver (I personally suspect there were very few false claims) and I was one of those people who was planning to make use of it when my fact pattern became that in 2021. So the move to *A carriers was very much planned - United wants people to choose the MP program but wants to ensure it makes business sense for United. These rules are quite complicated so for the average Joe/Joanne they think they need to spend $24,000 to make 1K and for many on OPM they will do this (or at least United thinks they will do this). It was explained to me on this thread that United makes money from the joint ventures with some of the *A carriers without incurring the cost of actually transporting people - what a great way to make money!

So if the United MP members are making status by flying on *A carriers United does not have to actually fly them anywhere, provide upgrades including CPUs so little cost to United. I read United will have to pay for the lounge access for Gold and above - and presumably United has factored that into their calculations.

I am not thrilled by the changes as I need to adjust my brain to planning my travel in a different way, but change is always a challenge. In a way United is helping me to live longer (and get more use from my 1 MM status) as using your brain in different ways is supposed to help with longevity (offset by being in the higher atmospheric conditions).

Planning the rest of my summer travel is going to be part of my holiday activities working through the various permutations of the new United FF program.
Silver Fox and Repooc17 like this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
Originally Posted by PTahCha
You still need a minimum of 4 segments on UA/UX metal.
Oh, I missed this. Thanks.

Alright. 4 domestic flights will do the trick then. Like: coming back with ANA and transferring onto United.

Don't get me wrong. If Polaris is available at a reasonable price, I may opt into it. But where before I went out of my way to fly United to at least hit $15K, now I will solely fly on pricing and service. I will likely get my 1K in the end nonetheless.

As I said, I get it. From United`s point of view, they get $$$ when I fly AC or others to Asia. OK, fair enough. So, perhaps they have become more of a flying marketing organization than an airline - flying airplane is a side business now. Not sure how it makes me feel, but this is a business, so hey, they are happy, I guess I am too. Hitting 54 flights/$18K on 016 would be impossible.

Lifetime status? Well, I am not sure if it really matters at this point. 1.7M, so I have my Gold lifetime status - doesn`t seem there is anything valuable at Platinum. Pre-boarding? Yes, it is nice - but then I get something very similar on pretty much all *A. And since my company pays J at this point, upgrades are not as valuable as they previously were.

It leaves one thing: redeeming miles. And so far, I was happy with United. I am not sure if I am going to be as happy with dynamic pricing. I guess I will have to see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.