FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Premier Qualification Requirements for 2020: Only Spend or Spend + Flight Sectors
Old Oct 13, 2019, 11:36 am
Aussienarelle

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by TomMM
Pretty sure this thread isn't disclosing anything they don't already know. Probably the biggest unknown is how many people will take advantage of it .
👍

I suspect the FT community is more likely to utilize the information. I must admit I did not understand the nuances until it was explained very well in this thread. If I were not on FT I would have been moving to a new FF program who I perceived valued my bargain spend.

Like most things in life you need to evaluate the program for your fact pattern. For example I always compared K fare + points + copay for upgrade vs W + GPU for the upgrade. That analysis will change under the PlusPoints program and now there will still be an analysis now that copays count for PQP. Complex but I will work it out as I fly on my own nickel not OPM.

United, I suspect, knew their US members complained about the foreign address waiver (I personally suspect there were very few false claims) and I was one of those people who was planning to make use of it when my fact pattern became that in 2021. So the move to *A carriers was very much planned - United wants people to choose the MP program but wants to ensure it makes business sense for United. These rules are quite complicated so for the average Joe/Joanne they think they need to spend $24,000 to make 1K and for many on OPM they will do this (or at least United thinks they will do this). It was explained to me on this thread that United makes money from the joint ventures with some of the *A carriers without incurring the cost of actually transporting people - what a great way to make money!

So if the United MP members are making status by flying on *A carriers United does not have to actually fly them anywhere, provide upgrades including CPUs so little cost to United. I read United will have to pay for the lounge access for Gold and above - and presumably United has factored that into their calculations.

I am not thrilled by the changes as I need to adjust my brain to planning my travel in a different way, but change is always a challenge. In a way United is helping me to live longer (and get more use from my 1 MM status) as using your brain in different ways is supposed to help with longevity (offset by being in the higher atmospheric conditions).

Planning the rest of my summer travel is going to be part of my holiday activities working through the various permutations of the new United FF program.