Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New gate numbering system at SFO beginning Oct 16, 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by scottpenderson
SFO is changing the gate number system at all terminals beginning Oct 16. Gate numbers will change from numeric to alphanumeric (e.g. Gate 64 is now Gate E11). Letters will correspond to the boarding area.

For United in Terminal 3: Boarding Area E, gates E1 – E13, and Boarding Area F, gates F1 – F22 will replace gates 60-90.

For United in the International Terminal: gates G1 – G14 will replace gates 91-102.

https://www.flysfo.com/gate-renumbering

Print Wikipost

New gate numbering system at SFO beginning Oct 16, 2019

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2019, 5:24 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM - Jet Blue Mosaic - Hyatt LTG - Marriott Plat - Hertz PC
How did they renumber the gates and still make F20 further than F21 and F22?
Old Oct 17, 2019, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by strife
Dyslexia?

David
Old Oct 17, 2019, 5:51 pm

I departed SFO from new F16, old 85 yesterday morning (the first few hours of the new system) and have to say I was impressed at how cleanly they had swapped all the signage. Not only was the terminal signage perfect, with no traces of the old system, but on the pilots' guides they had even repainted the tarmac label blocks at the start of each taxi guideline lane to each gate. There must have been rehersals plus a considerable crew to do this all in a few hours.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Starman
I departed SFO from new F16, old 85 yesterday morning (the first few hours of the new system) and have to say I was impressed at how cleanly they had swapped all the signage. Not only was the terminal signage perfect, with no traces of the old system, but on the pilots' guides they had even repainted the tarmac label blocks at the start of each taxi guideline lane to each gate. There must have been rehersals plus a considerable crew to do this all in a few hours.
They literally replaced every gate sign. When I flew in/out of SFO about 2 weeks ago, all of the gate signs had temporary numbers stuck on them. To make the change, I think they just went and ripped off all of the temporary numbers overnight.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by strife
Saw that, I don't get the numbering system at the end of that terminal. Overall I think it is an improvement but......
Old Oct 17, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by STS-134
They literally replaced every gate sign. When I flew in/out of SFO about 2 weeks ago, all of the gate signs had temporary numbers stuck on them. To make the change, I think they just went and ripped off all of the temporary numbers overnight.
There's a series called "Ultimate Airport: Dubai" or something along those lines and a while back DXB renumbered all of their gates -- that's exactly what they did in that situation: Get new signage in place during the weeks leading up to the transition with the old numbers temporarily installed and at "go" time a group of people go through ripping down the temporary numbers.

What I hadn't thought of before that episode was the electronic implications as well (GIDS/FIDS and making sure all of that is updated "instantly" at cutover time)
Old Oct 17, 2019, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, B9, AA, DL, WN
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
What I hadn't thought of before that episode was the electronic implications as well (GIDS/FIDS and making sure all of that is updated "instantly" at cutover time)
Such as the United app terminal map, which wasn't updated until later?
Old Oct 17, 2019, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
There's a series called "Ultimate Airport: Dubai" or something along those lines and a while back DXB renumbered all of their gates -- that's exactly what they did in that situation: Get new signage in place during the weeks leading up to the transition with the old numbers temporarily installed and at "go" time a group of people go through ripping down the temporary numbers.

At YYZ T1, they renumbered all the Gates a few years ago from 3 digit numbers to two digit numbers by keeping the last two digits and prefacing them with D for domestic departures, F for US departures and E (I think?) for international. They have a few swing gates that can be used for either domestic or US, so can be, say D54 if it’s a domestic departure, or F54 if a US departure. At other times, they use the international gates for US departures, so, say, E70 becomes F70. Not sure how the signs are really set up, can’t remember - they definitely are lights for the numbers so maybe they can change them that way.

on the other hand, UA flight status often has the old gate numbers listed for arrivals when they first list it, and then it changes to the current. Currently, the 10:00 pm arrival tonight from ORD says it is coming into gate 191, but that gate no longer exists - it’ll change to F91 at some point.

My flight into SFO tomorrow says we’re coming into E11 - so I think that’s the new wing, that we’re formally numbered in the 60s.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by Starman
Not only was the terminal signage perfect, with no traces of the old system, but on the pilots' guides they had even repainted the tarmac label blocks at the start of each taxi guideline lane to each gate.
Many airports have different numbering schemes for pilots/tarmac personnel versus passengers/ground agents. I'm glad SFO changed everything simultaneously.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 11:14 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Yup, that's the entire text. There are no clickable links at all that I could find/see.
Guess they noticed this -- I received another email this morning, identical to the previous one except adding a link.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
They also seem to have overlooked this when my boarding pass was emailed to me:

San Francisco terminal update

United flights arrive at and depart from Terminal 3 Gates 60-90 and International Terminal Gates 91-102.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.