Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New gate numbering system at SFO beginning Oct 16, 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by scottpenderson
SFO is changing the gate number system at all terminals beginning Oct 16. Gate numbers will change from numeric to alphanumeric (e.g. Gate 64 is now Gate E11). Letters will correspond to the boarding area.

For United in Terminal 3: Boarding Area E, gates E1 – E13, and Boarding Area F, gates F1 – F22 will replace gates 60-90.

For United in the International Terminal: gates G1 – G14 will replace gates 91-102.

https://www.flysfo.com/gate-renumbering

Print Wikipost

New gate numbering system at SFO beginning Oct 16, 2019

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2019, 3:02 pm

As someone who travels to/through SFO on a somewhat regular basis and has to travel between T3 and ITG airside this is an unwelcome change. Yes the numberings were confusing at times and somewhat inconsistent but at least you had a sense of where you are in the grand scheme of things. If I'm getting off a domestic flight at gate 84 and have to catch an international flight at gate 93 I have a sense of distance. Under the new system I'd be arriving at gate F16 and heading to gate G4.

I'd also argue, this post is highly relevant for the UA forums since SFO is a hub for UA and UA makes use of multiple terminals. The real losers in this update will ultimately be UA and by connection its *A partners. Sure DL and AA fly here but their presence is limited and there's less cross-terminal action going on for those itineraries anyway.

Safe Travels,

James
Pat89339 and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by Sykes
IMO, the F-terminal layout makes more sense than trying to keep the odds and evens on the right side once you reach the end. Once you're in that close proximity it makes more sense to have adjacent gates be sequential to the extent possible. There's a large gap between F15 and F22, so it makes sense for the gap in numbers to be there. Plus, it doesn't really make much difference given once you get there all of the gates will be visible from each other, so any confusion will be very short-lived.
I understand what you're saying but it still would make more sense to put even on one side and odd on the other. Given the spacing they have shown in the picture then F12/F14/F16/F18/F20/F22 all fit on the "right" side (looking top down from the pic). F11/F13/F15/F17/F19 all fit on the "left" side. F21 becomes the "end of the hall" gate. That follows your rule of having the adjacent gates sequential at the end with 19/20/21 all being down there. It also follows my 'rule' of even on one side, odd on the other. And it makes perfect logical sense.

Also, anyone walking past F15 will see F19 on the left-hand side "after" F22. Or, they are looking on the right side and see "F22" and wonder where the heck F19/F20/F21 all are since they are lower numbers and should come before seeing F22. Sure...if they can see the trees from the forest then we don't have an issue. But given how people can't seem to follow simple number schemes as already mentioned in this thread, I think the F layout is completely wrong.

-RM
Old Sep 19, 2019, 3:15 pm

I get the logic, am going to miss those orange gate number signs in the UA terminal that date back to the late 70s...

For all the Saul Bass tulip fans, the guy who designed that terminal was Walter Landor, who did the BA '80s logo, Alitalia, the orange Muni livery, the Golden Gate ferries, Safeway, etc.

It was one of the first terminals with a design - integrated brand system - even down to the way the courtesy phones were carved into the walls
Pat89339, nnn, EWR764 and 5 others like this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I understand what you're saying but it still would make more sense to put even on one side and odd on the other. Given the spacing they have shown in the picture then F12/F14/F16/F18/F20/F22 all fit on the "right" side (looking top down from the pic). F11/F13/F15/F17/F19 all fit on the "left" side. F21 becomes the "end of the hall" gate. That follows your rule of having the adjacent gates sequential at the end with 19/20/21 all being down there. It also follows my 'rule' of even on one side, odd on the other. And it makes perfect logical sense.
I understand your logic, I just disagree. (As does, apparently, SFO.) Once gates are in such close proximity (with F17 to F22 all within a few feet of each other), I don't think it makes sense for F20 to be next to F22.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
It will do away with thinking that a connection from gate 90 to 92 is short walk. Had something close to that once but at least had plenty of time. And the signage to the International wing isn't great.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 3:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
First I had to learn a new UA account id, now after nearly 50 years need to learn new gate numbers at my home airport, there is just no stability in this world

Yep, change is change, but there is at least some sense to this change
Markie, Eastbay1K, jsloan and 11 others like this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 4:01 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
So now it’s “oy and schlep” when I see gates F19-21 vs gates the old numbers of 88-90
onthesam likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 4:23 pm

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Another airport that can't seem to follow a consistent numbering scheme. In the "E" terminal they seemed to do a decent job of odd on one side and even on the other with the exception of E4. The "F" terminal is a bigger disaster. F17, F19, F20 and F22 are on the 'wrong' side.

If a lot of people can't figure out the simple numbers SFO has used for years I don't see this helping honestly. Whenever I enter a terminal I don't know I look at the first gates on both sides and figure out which side even and odd are. No point in doing that, especially in the "F" terminal.

-RM
Wow, that is pretty funny when you look at it. I'm used to walking out a finger of a terminal and as you go out, the numbers go up on both sides. But look at the map...terminal C is almost normal, though, if C1 will be where they say, then the next one to it should be C3, but at least the rest go even on one side and odd on the other. The E terminal? E4 and E5 are next to each other then they finally start alternating. But the F gates are the best...LOL, interesting. I bet the consulting firm they hired to figure all this out made out like bandits!
Old Sep 19, 2019, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was a bit perturbed by boarding area E for several years, so imagine how I feel now.

Personally, for some reason I do not know, I would prefer they stick with numbers and not have letter-number. I don't mind so much if they change each gate's number, but it feels as though the schematic complexity goes up by a lot when there is a letter added.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 5:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fumje
I was a bit perturbed by boarding area E for several years, so imagine how I feel now.

Personally, for some reason I do not know, I would prefer they stick with numbers and not have letter-number. I don't mind so much if they change each gate's number, but it feels as though the schematic complexity goes up by a lot when there is a letter added.
I prefer the letter.

E5 means they can have big signs throughout F that have a giant E and an arrow, rather than having a big range of numbers.

Within E, they can have smaller ranges of smaller numbers.

Overall, I think it will be easier for everyone who hasn't memorized the existing setup.
jsloan, onthesam, m.y and 4 others like this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
The random ordering of gates (22 comes before 20) and lack of evens on one side and odds on the other is a strange choice for a contemporary renumbering.
EWR764 and halls120 like this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 5:35 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by j2simpso
As someone who travels to/through SFO on a somewhat regular basis and has to travel between T3 and ITG airside this is an unwelcome change. Yes the numberings were confusing at times and somewhat inconsistent but at least you had a sense of where you are in the grand scheme of things. If I'm getting off a domestic flight at gate 84 and have to catch an international flight at gate 93 I have a sense of distance. Under the new system I'd be arriving at gate F16 and heading to gate G4
I’d argue the opposite. 84 to 93 makes it sound like the gates are close to each other, but they’re not. And you have to pass gate 74 to get to gate 93. And not to be outdone by connecting from 90 to 91 which should be next to each other, but are not.

Grouping the gates by letter zones provides immediate context as to which gates are close to each other and which ones are in a different area, even if one is unfamiliar with the airport layout.
jsloan, wrp96, canadiancow and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I prefer the letter.

E5 means they can have big signs throughout F that have a giant E and an arrow, rather than having a big range of numbers.

Within E, they can have smaller ranges of smaller numbers.

Overall, I think it will be easier for everyone who hasn't memorized the existing setup.
Seems like IAH was made for you, then!
canadiancow and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now I wonder if they will ever add any air-side connections (without taking any shuttle buses)...
Old Sep 19, 2019, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by username
Now I wonder if they will ever add any air-side connections (without taking any shuttle buses)...
...wait they have airside shuttle buses at SFO?

-James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.