Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New gate numbering system at SFO beginning Oct 16, 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by scottpenderson
SFO is changing the gate number system at all terminals beginning Oct 16. Gate numbers will change from numeric to alphanumeric (e.g. Gate 64 is now Gate E11). Letters will correspond to the boarding area.

For United in Terminal 3: Boarding Area E, gates E1 – E13, and Boarding Area F, gates F1 – F22 will replace gates 60-90.

For United in the International Terminal: gates G1 – G14 will replace gates 91-102.

https://www.flysfo.com/gate-renumbering

Print Wikipost

New gate numbering system at SFO beginning Oct 16, 2019

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2019, 10:28 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by username
Now I wonder if they will ever add any air-side connections (without taking any shuttle buses)...
Yes that is part of the master plan, including re-configuring ITB Departure Lobby to place security checkpoint in centre and allow passengers to walk between A and G.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
My initial reaction was lukewarm, but I've come around now. This new scheme makes a lot of sense and eliminates the idiotic 73A/B which is confusing and idiotic. Plus will match nicely with the short-term parking garage.

Embrace change

And yes the best news is the map showing the planned airside connections. The existing confi is quite stupid as it would not be difficult to connect the terminals given the short distances and hub/spoke design (unlike, say, JFK). Not to mention the convenience of being able to access PP restaurants in different terminals without going through security again.
nnn likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 11:48 pm

I'd love to know why after eliminating all of the 58A/B, etc. gates, there will be an F3 and F3A. It's the only set of gates like that under the new renumbering.
nnn, EWR764 and mherdeg like this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 1:01 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Now I wonder if they will ever add any air-side connections ...
UA is presently 100% connected airside at SFO

Long term, the plan is more airside connection to the other terminals but not soon.

(without taking any shuttle buses)...
Not aware of any SFO airside buses, certainly none for UA.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 6:21 am

Any logic why D13 doesn't exist? All others have a gate 13, except C which only goes up to 11 (hopefully Nigel was part of the design team...). It looks like there's a spot analogous to D5 that should be fine, but it's just been omitted?
Old Sep 20, 2019, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JObbo
Any logic why D13 doesn't exist? All others have a gate 13, except C which only goes up to 11 (hopefully Nigel was part of the design team...). It looks like there's a spot analogous to D5 that should be fine, but it's just been omitted?
The diagram map in the first post makes T2 look perfectly symmetric, but it's not quite so, and there's no gate there. And then, I would guess, they omitted D13 as a label to maintain approximate symmetry.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by fumje
The diagram map in the first post makes T2 look perfectly symmetric, but it's not quite so, and there's no gate there. And then, I would guess, they omitted D13 as a label to maintain approximate symmetry.
Sure, but the old gates didn't skip a number so why do it now? Just wondering if there's something against D13 specifically?
Old Sep 20, 2019, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JObbo
Sure, but the old gates didn't skip a number so why do it now? Just wondering if there's something against D13 specifically?
OK, I don't know of anything about D13. I don't think it has any significance. Speculating, it looks like they wanted even and odd numbers to be at the same 'latitude' along the terminal.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
A Feng Shui master was consulted for skipping D(ead)+13.
username likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kmxu
A Feng Shui master was consulted for skipping D(ead)+13.
And yet they left in D4! An odd transposition.
PTahCha and jsloan like this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 10:10 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
I get the logic, am going to miss those orange gate number signs in the UA terminal that date back to the late 70s...

For all the Saul Bass tulip fans, the guy who designed that terminal was Walter Landor, who did the BA '80s logo, Alitalia, the orange Muni livery, the Golden Gate ferries, Safeway, etc.

It was one of the first terminals with a design - integrated brand system - even down to the way the courtesy phones were carved into the walls
For the font nerds I wonder what the new signage will look like.
droopydog and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
Seems like IAH was made for you, then!
For those of us who connect through SFO this change is fantastic. If only all airports could be like IAH!
Old Sep 20, 2019, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by nnn
For the font nerds I wonder what the new signage will look like.
I'm going to guess just like the new pier in the terminal - Univers Bold - which they've been rolling out in the other terminals ever since the Int'l terminal opened

The '70s originals in the United terminal used some sans serif font I can't identify by name - it's like a cross between Helvetica and Eurostile
nnn likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by D582
Yes that is part of the master plan, including re-configuring ITB Departure Lobby to place security checkpoint in centre and allow passengers to walk between A and G.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA is presently 100% connected airside at SFO

Long term, the plan is more airside connection to the other terminals but not soon.

Not aware of any SFO airside buses, certainly none for UA.
Yes, I know UA is all connected - and with the G gates. However, I was wondering if they would connect the entire airport like ORD T1, T2, T3.

Wasn't there some talk (which quickly went away) maybe 2 years ago that UA would have to use gates in another terminal again (like it did a few years ago)?

As some of you know, G is at capacity at times. BR's early departure to TPE has to use the A gates which is really inconvenient especially if you want to use the Polaris Lounge.

I wonder how they will connect the A and G sides in the International Terminal while keeping the escalators/elevators to T1/T3 so we can walk to the BART station from T3 baggage claim.

http://media.flysfo.com.s3.amazonaws...t_Projects.pdf says "The ticketing lobby would be reconfigured and the security checkpoints would be consolidated. This permits implementation of the secure connector between B/As A and G and expansion of the concession areas. As a follow-on phase, the back of the ITB would be expanded outward to provide space for a world-class marketplace and additional recompose space beyond the security checkpoint."
Old Sep 20, 2019, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AS
Yes, I know UA is all connected - and with the G gates. However, I was wondering if they would connect the entire airport like ORD T1, T2, T3.
The new T1 is supposed to get a connector to International A gate area:
https://www.flysfo.com/about-sfo/airport-development/t1
Q2 2021: International Connector open, 7 additional gates (25 gates total), swing gates open

I might be mistaken but isn't T2 already connected to the parts of T1 that are currently open?

So then all that will be missing is the T2-T3 connector - with that you could even get from Intl A to Intl G even though it would be a long walk ...

Regarding the reconstruction of the international terminal, if you go down the escalator towards T3, there is quite a big empty space up above - I could imagine some sort of "bridge" structure up there that would connect the G gate area to some sort of central secure area at the parking-garage side of the central hall. I imagine the A side looks similar, haven't been over there in a while.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.