Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQDs/PQMs/PQSs in 2019 for Elite Status in 2020"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2019, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous years' thread -- [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2017 for Elite Status in 2018
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2016 for Elite Status in 2017
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2015 for Elite Status in 2016
& [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

PQDs are mostly earned by flying, but not all elites are subject to PQD requirements. PQDs can also be earned by Economy Plus purchases (by flight or subscription), although for anyone seeking to qualify for Gold or above an annual plan (min. $499) gets you nothing. There is no way to "pay" UA to fulfill PQD requirement in the qualifying year. There may be a status buy-up in January of the next year -- not cheap and does not come in small increments,
Non-USA registered MP members are exempt from PQD requirements.
Others can be exempt from PQDs up to the Premier Platinum level by having a Chase PresidentalPlus credit card {not open to new members} or by annually spending $25,000 or more as a primary MP branded Chase credit cardholder.
PQMs can be earned by flying UA or various flight partners and by various bonuses related to flying (class or service, promos, ...)
PQMs can be purchased by Premier Accelerator purchases. Generally, these purchase do not earn PQDs, starting in 2019, some PQM purchases do earn PQDs Buying PQMs, PQSs, and PQDs on mystatus.United.com / email
Certain legacy (not available to new customers) Chase MP credit cards earn PQMs or FPQMs

related threads
UA/Star Alliance: 2019 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Mileage Run Discussion
Mileage Run Deals
Premium Fare Deals

Poor man's MR planner
Google Flights enter a starting airport, leave the destination blank, select airlines - Star Alliance, set travel days and max cost and view the Map for options. Try multiple dates.
kayak.com/explore has similar functionality
And now UA's Explore destinations

Will UA Grant 2019 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2018?
and previously - Will UA Grant 2017 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2016?

Is it worth it to stretch for 1K (over Plat)? [2019 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2019 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Gold (over Silver)? [2019 Consolidated]
Is it worth it making Premier Silver? [2017-2019 Consolidated]

Last year's last resort
2019 UA MP elite status buy-up offers(for higher status than earned in 2018)
2018 UA MP elite status buy-up offers (for higher status than earned in 2017)
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQDs/PQMs/PQSs in 2019 for Elite Status in 2020"

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2019, 1:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jaa37
Thanks! I did look at last year's thread to try to get a sense of how much it might cost, based on years past, but I confess I had a hard time figuring it out. Any guesses on what UA might charge for such a small shortfall? I assume you have to buy PQMs in increments of some kind. And yes, we've met the spending requirement.
In the past, UA offer to fill the gap in 1,000 PQM increments and the fee was base on the level you were trying to reach. It seemed to be $200 per 1K PQM for Silver for those making the PQD requirement. Again this was the pricing in past years.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
View earnings for each flight.

Originally Posted by me4tux
My concern is, where can I know for sure, that I received the 4188 pqm. There is no "running balance" for pqm accrual/tranactions that I can view after I login.
In the app, you can go to your account to see the "MileagePlus Summary", then select the "Activity" tab. Your earning for each flight (and all other activity) are listed.

In the full website, it's much better. You can go to "My Account" "View Full Activity Details", then use the "Download Activity" link. That lets you add everything your PQM earnings for the year very easily. Though I have never seen it differ from when UA adds it up for me.

But there is nowhere that has a running total, like a ledger. And UA no longer issues statements. As others have suggested, I keep a spreadsheet for that.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AC Elite
am 150 status miles short of 50,000

Is there any other way to get 150 status miles on united without booking a trip to get them? I have no trips planned for 2019

thanks
Old Dec 23, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: MileagePlus, Rapid Rewards
Do a couple surveys on Opinion Miles or do Mileage Plus dining. If you agree to get emails you would only need to spend $50 on the participating restaurants to get that 150 miles, though I am not sure if those will help you with status.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond
I am currently $762 short for 1K for next year. I am flying to Florida on the 31st. Can I buy another seat on the same flight to keep it empty and have it count towards my spend?
Old Dec 23, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
If OP was referred to miles for qualifying for Premier Gold status, here is the thread.
United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2019]
Old Dec 23, 2019, 1:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by StanCA
Is there any other way to get 150 status miles on united without booking a trip to get them? I have no trips planned for 2019

thanks
Just the premier accelerator mentioned by an earlier poster -- note the min purchase is a couple of thousand PQMs and expect prices to a couple of hundred dollars per thousand PQM
Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions

While I would not recommend chancing it, see
Will UA Grant 2020 EliteStatus if I am XXX PQM/PQS/PQD Short of Qualifying in 2019?

Originally Posted by TheNB2K
Do a couple surveys on Opinion Miles or do Mileage Plus dining. If you agree to get emails you would only need to spend $50 on the participating restaurants to get that 150 miles, though I am not sure if those will help you with status.
They do not

Originally Posted by eyuro
I am currently $762 short for 1K for next year. I am flying to Florida on the 31st. Can I buy another seat on the same flight to keep it empty and have it count towards my spend?
While it seems you should, UA states
Do I earn MileagePlus miles for buying an extra seat?
If you buy a second seat on United or United Express®, you are eligible to earn award miles equal to the amount of base miles for the flight. Members are not entitled to Premier® qualifying earnings and associated Premier benefits on the extra ticket purchased. The miles earned for the extra ticket should appear in the Airline Activity section of your MileagePlus account with the description “Extra Seat Credit.” If you do not automatically receive your mileage credit, you can request the missing miles by providing the ticket number for the extra seat using the MileagePlus contact form.
How to buy an extra seat? "EXTRASEAT" for paid or award flights
in particular, see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29613879-post138.html

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 23, 2019 at 1:33 pm
Old Dec 24, 2019, 1:10 am

Programs: UA, QFF, AA, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Pres Circle.
Hi wh6cto,
Thanks for pointing out the step-wise details.
Your steps worked for me.

As you said, I used the "Download Activity" link and it downloaded a CSV file which I opened with Excel.
I was able to use Excel and added the PQM column which matched the Premier Tracker PQM balance in my online account.

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by wh6cto
In the app, you can go to your account to see the "MileagePlus Summary", then select the "Activity" tab. Your earning for each flight (and all other activity) are listed.

In the full website, it's much better. You can go to "My Account" "View Full Activity Details", then use the "Download Activity" link. That lets you add everything your PQM earnings for the year very easily. Though I have never seen it differ from when UA adds it up for me.

But there is nowhere that has a running total, like a ledger. And UA no longer issues statements. As others have suggested, I keep a spreadsheet for that.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 1:28 pm

Advised needed, 296 PQM short of 1k!

With 5 days left in the year, I somehow managed to got myself 99,704 PQM for the year, which leave me 296 short for 1k. I originally thought I can just pay some cash to make up the difference then find out that I only can purchase PQM when I have a flight.

So help fellow flyertalker, what's the cheapest/most effortless way to get me over the hump for 1k?
based in DC in case do a mr is the only option, flight advise appreciated if that is the case.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
DCA/IAD to EWR and back.

Edit: previously suggestetd one way by air, and the return by train, but it looks like a random date over the next week has the roundtrip cheaper v. one-way (same outbound flight).

Last edited by Repooc17; Dec 25, 2019 at 2:01 pm
Old Dec 25, 2019, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
in basic economy for $290. That is, you will get 500 PQM for this round trip. IAD-ORF.
https://www.google.com/flights?hl=en...00*2.USD.29000
Old Dec 25, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Buy a refundable flight, buy premier accelerator, then cancel the flight.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by getagb
Buy a refundable flight, buy premier accelerator, then cancel the flight.
Then get audited for gaming the system. Then open an FT thread and pretend like you did nothing wrong or that it was your wife's doing.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 2:14 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
You may want to call UA... ?

also, have a look at this thread... (link removed, pointed to this thread)

Last edited by jonisflying; Dec 25, 2019 at 2:43 pm Reason: Removed recursive link
Old Dec 25, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, Delta Silver, Hilton Gold
If cheapest is the goal, there's a 59m flight to Clarksburg

IAD-CKB round trip Sat, Dec 28 - Sun, Dec 29:
$145.70 (basic economy) or $155.70 (economy)

IAD-CKB one way: $136.60 (economy)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.