Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

nephew got bumped from UA TPAC flight and got zero compensation, not even hotel/food

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

nephew got bumped from UA TPAC flight and got zero compensation, not even hotel/food

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2019, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by kale73

That’s not how I read it.

First flight across the Pacific Ocean.
First flight on United Airlines.
Has flown across the Atlantic Ocean several times on other airlines.

Given these parameters, I see only two possible scenarios where this United flight is originating someplace other than the U.S.
1) Nephew is traveling on an eastbound RTW itinerary with all previous flights on other airlines or
2) Nephew is flying back to the U.S. after a sea voyage that terminated somewhere in Asia.
Ah, yes, you are indeed correct (my bad), and your two scenarios outside of this being USA originating do sound rather implausible (but not impossible, of course)!
Old Aug 17, 2019, 5:34 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Companion pass possible? Not sure an uncle/aunt would necessarily be aware of all the details of my tickets when I fly. (Even if a confirmed ticket, uncles/aunts 2nd hand posting often has incomplete or inaccurate data. Here-say is rarely a great primary source.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 5:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by fastair
Companion pass possible? Not sure an uncle/aunt would necessarily be aware of all the details of my tickets when I fly. (Even if a confirmed ticket, uncles/aunts 2nd hand posting often has incomplete or inaccurate data. Here-say is rarely a great primary source.
OP said that the nephew was confirmed in K class, which I assume means a revenue ticket on UA. In fact, OP has apparently seen a copy of the emailed ticket receipt and PNR.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 7:55 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
OP said that the nephew was confirmed in K class, which I assume means a revenue ticket on UA. In fact, OP has apparently seen a copy of the emailed ticket receipt and PNR.
sorry. I somehow skipped over that part. Don’t know how I missed it. Thnx
Old Aug 17, 2019, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Has UA ever IDB'ed at check-in - at least in the US?

Short of something major like a downgauge I just can't see them doing this. There's no reason to do it at that time, and a real chance that an inbound flight to a gateway will be delayed and there'll be no need to IDB. And even that's ignoring the DOT requirements and the need to ask for volunteers.

At a foreign port I can see it a being a little more likely - especially one with physical immigration where having to exit the airport might be more complex than in the US. But as has already been pointed out, "first TPAC flight" doesn't fit that anyway, unless he's on a RTW...
Old Aug 17, 2019, 10:20 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by docbert

Short of something major like a downgauge I just can't see them doing this. There's no reason to do it at that time, and a real chance that an inbound flight to a gateway will be delayed and there'll be no need to IDB. And even that's ignoring the DOT requirements and the need to ask for volunteers.

At a foreign port I can see it a being a little more likely - especially one with physical immigration where having to exit the airport might be more complex than in the US. But as has already been pointed out, "first TPAC flight" doesn't fit that anyway, unless he's on a RTW...
RTW would make some sense, but why would someone doing this buy a one way K class TPAC flight? I'm not familiar enough about UA fare rules to know whether a (*A) revenue nonaward RTW ticket in coach would book into K class on UA, OW TPAC tickets would be expensive and K might not even permit one way. Still, it's easy to imagine a USA college kid starting in the USA after the end of the academic year and making his way east toward Asia, and then having a mid-late August TPAC flight back to the USA in time for school.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 11:23 pm

I assumed originating in Asia. I've seen multiple times the VDB happen at the check in counter due to customs complications. I have never ever seen an IDB/VDB as a US check in counter.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 12:07 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by docbert
Sounds like this was a "voluntary" re-route. I had that done at GUA many years ago while standing in line for check-in, but it was to an AA flight that got me home faster.
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 2:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by narvik
First with UA. Apparently a seasoned traveler with DL and AA on TPACs...
The first post say he is experienced TATL with DL and AA, but this was his first TPAC?
narvik likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
Sounds like this was a "voluntary" re-route. I had that done at GUA many years ago while standing in line for check-in, but it was to an AA flight that got me home faster.
This. UA will claim he was given an alternate option and accepted it. Still treachery, though.

OP, send me the video and I'll put it up on my blog...tens of thousands will see it. If UA is playing games like this, they should be called out for it.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 4:02 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
This kinda crap can't stand. Being pro-business in the US is no excuse for letting corporations get away with this ****. If you're going to allow over selling, which I'm fine with, I get why they do it, then there has to be consequences. Either they have to look for volunteers and pay max dollars in an IDB situation or there needs to be a standard set. If there's going to be no government interference, which I think there should be, then the airlines themselves could do a lot of good pub by setting a good standard themselves. "In any country that doesn't have a standard for IDB situations, we will pay X, and in any country that does have a standard LOWER than X, we will pay X anyway". Not like it's gonna cost them much.

It's amazing how quick the US airlines (in my one experience) comply with the EU rules, but any country/region that allows them to screw people, they will.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: AA, Amex
To be fair with this, so far we only have OP's second hand account of the events, a description of videos which may or may not be complete, and the videos themselves may or may not tell the whole story.

Sometimes you don't get a complete and unbiased account of things on the first go...
onthesam, narvik, ajGoes and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 7:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
One OP, 41 follow-up comments, much of which based on pure speculation. Let's wait for OP to come back with a bit more!
Old Aug 18, 2019, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jerseytom
Sometimes you don't get a complete and unbiased account of things on the first go...
OP has had a tremendous run of luck in the past month or so.

HKG-EWR, forced to move from exit aisle E+ to middle for off-duty UA employee
what's UK Costco's return/exchange policy on defective laptops? Is it the same as US

I, too, have never heard of being IDB'ed at check-in, especially at a US airport. It really makes no sense.

Last edited by jsloan; Aug 18, 2019 at 8:14 am Reason: "the gate" -> "check-in," since the statement made no sense otherwise. :)
Old Aug 18, 2019, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
One OP, 41 follow-up comments, much of which based on pure speculation. Let's wait for OP to come back with a bit more!
Completely agreed. I’ve watched comments come in yesterday, and wondered where the details are. OP certainly has not provided them. Not trying to poke holes in the story, but there are so many details missing that it’s hard to really offer up any real opinions/advice. If OP comes back with more details, then sure. But until we see more - it’s really hard to tell.

So despite the complete lack of details, we are now offering, for example, on pure speculation, to promote the supposed video to get this story promotion on a popular blog? Cmon. Do we no longer at least try to verify things first?

Originally Posted by jsloan
I, too, have never heard of being IDB'ed at check-in, especially at a US airport. It really makes no sense.
When I first saw the post yesterday afternoon, before it has been mentioned, this was my first thought. No matter the airport, why would agent at check in 4 hours prior to departure try to IDB someone. Really doesn’t make any sort of sense. Even if the flight was completely overbooked, UA has no idea how many might actually show up. Which is why IDB always happens at the gate. Especially in a world where people can check in a day ahead from home, the office, etc.

again, I’m waiting for the details to see what might have happened. Speculation to some extent is fine, but seems to be out of control in this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.