Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

nephew got bumped from UA TPAC flight and got zero compensation, not even hotel/food

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

nephew got bumped from UA TPAC flight and got zero compensation, not even hotel/food

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2019, 11:25 am
Original Poster

I've been speaking with my young nephew this morning. He's a young 20-year-old kid on his very first TPAC flight. It also happens to be his very first United flight. Although he is a seasoned flyer on Delta and American on TATL flights since he was 15.(flying TATL 3 times a year since his parents got divorced)

UA bumped him off because of overbooking. He even has the agent saying so on video. He checked in on-time. (again, the video shows that the agent confirming that he was one of the first few people to check-in for that TPAC flight) He checked in online the night before.(at T-23) He went up to the counter to check his luggage almost 4 hours before the flight time. That's when the agent informed him that the flight was overbooked.

I get the feeling that the two UA agents were trying to cheat him out of what he deserved for being bumped off the flight involuntarily. One of the kept saying "we're doing this just for you because we don't usually rebook people here and we just make them call reservation for rebooking" and also "no need to thank us, but we got you your preferred window seat for the same flight tomorrow." Here's the icing on the cake the more senior agent said "we can get you a discount voucher if you need a hotel room for tonight" (he didn't because he ended up staying with his friend who lived just 20 minutes from the airport)

I asked him to forward me his travel details, including the e-ticket email. The reservation was booked on United.com. It shows confirmed seats in economy class with K fare.

He's a young, dumb(sorry, true) and non-confrontational college kid. He basically just accepted what the two UA agents said and left the airport.

When he told me everything and showed me the me videos, my blood started boiling.... Or am I wrong? I assume it's not okay to post the four videos of his counter with the UA agents? (since all videos clearly showed their faces and one showed their employee ID card)
Old Aug 17, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
What flight?
Old Aug 17, 2019, 11:40 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Need more detials
-- Country of orginating flight -- rules for bumps are based on country of flight departure
-- Flight number
-- Was the type of aircrat changed? or was there a weight issue?
-- At what time was the individual notified and where?

Rule 25 Denied Boarding Compensation
B. Denied Boarding Non-U.S.A./Canada Flight Origin - Where there is an Oversold UA flight that originates outside the U.S.A. or Canada, no compensation will be provided except where required by local or international laws regulating Oversold flights.
nancypants and jerseytom like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 17, 2019 at 11:46 am Reason: Rule 25.B DBC
Old Aug 17, 2019, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Compensation for bumping will depend on the flight. What is clearly not o.k. is the lack of paid hotel, meal vouchers etc. So no matter what happened here in detail, this is not o.k. I would write to UA and demand compensation, if it was a flight where US DOT rules apply feel free to send in a complaint with your video evidence.
Aussienarelle and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I would contact UA with the details and ask them why there was no compensation offered. If that had been my young nephew I would have been very annoyed especially as your nephew did all the right things. Checked in 23 hours before the flight, arrived 4 hours before the flight with the luggage.

The other thing I would look at is the STBY list for the flight to see if anyone was put on the flight who was on the STBY list.

I personally would be unlikely to go the DOT route but that us me.

P.S. United is really not liking your family after your exit row debacle.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:06 pm

@vangrovsky - would you mind to share the flight number?
Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cfischer
... if it was a flight where US DOT denied boarding rules apply ....
DOT rules do not apply for " Flights Departing a Foreign Location " (and that is my assumption in this case based on the airport agents response -- we need the country of departure to better help the OP's nephew)

Part 250.2 DOT jurisdiction for OVERSALES is "(1) interstate air transportation or (2) foreign air transportation with respect to nonstop flight segments originating at a point within the United States."

What is applicable here is the country of departures rules? But without that information, it is hard to provide further advice.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 17, 2019 at 1:35 pm Reason: need country of departure
Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Was there no attempt to find volunteers? That seems wrong too, and it violates USA DOT rules, assuming applicable.

Did the bumping occur when he attempted to check the bags or at the gate?

Were there any airport monitors that he noticed, such as a standby list or some notification of an aircraft (or gate, which often implies a different aircraft too) change?

We really need to know the route here, and the flight number would greatly help too, although I can't think of any UA TPAC segments that don't touch the USA.

Did he get a seat assignment at OLCI or before or just get some substitute for a real boarding pass? Was it the same seat as shown on his PNR?

And just to make sure, can we assume that he didn't sign anything at the gate and wasn't given any information about his rights for an IDB?
Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Vangrovsky
He's a young, dumb(sorry, true) and non-confrontational college kid.
He might be dumb in your standard. But this time he was very smart.

1. He was able to get UA GA to confirm the IDB in a video, which is highly unlikely to happen. It is basically a guarantee for compensation. Regardless of routing, if this video lands on Oscar's desk, my bet is he will get the DOT maximum plus more.

2. Being confrontational is always a no-no, as this gives excuses for overpowered personnel to offload a pax legally.
moondog, n198ua, rmannion and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
DOT rules do not apply for " Flights Departing a Foreign Location "

Part 250.2 DOT jurisdiction for OVERSALES is "(1) interstate air transportation or (2) foreign air transportation with respect to nonstop flight segments originating at a point within the United States."

What is applicable here is the country of departures rules? But without that information, it is hard to provide further advice.
I am sure if someone flies e.g. SFO-NRT and UA bumps without asking for volunteers, without compensation, hotel, meals ... the US DOT would like to hear it.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Was there no attempt to find volunteers? That seems wrong too, and it violates USA DOT rules, assuming applicable .....

which they do not. (if departing from an non-USA location)

DOT rules do not apply here -- not saying UA could have not done more voluntarily on its own or based on country of departure rules, but the DOT rules explicitly exclude this situation. As does UA CoC.

One can always write into the DOT but the DOT rules do not apply.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 17, 2019 at 1:36 pm
Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
which they do not.

DOT rules do not apply here -- not saying UA could have not done more voluntarily on its own or based on country of departure rules, but the DOT rules explicitly exclude this situation. As does UA CoC.

HUH? What did I miss? We don't know whether the flight departed from the USA or not AFAICT.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

which they do not.

International Transportation

Passengers traveling from the United States to a foreign point who are denied boarding involuntarily from an oversold flight originating at a U.S. airport are entitled to: (1) No compensation if the carrier offers alternate transportation that is planned to arrive at the passenger's destination or first stopover not later than one hour after the planned arrival time of the passenger's original flight; (2) 200% of the fare to the passenger's destination or first stopover, with a maximum of $675, if the carrier offers alternate transportation that is planned to arrive at the passenger's destination or first stopover more than one hour but less than four hours after the planned arrival time of the passenger's original flight; and (3) 400% of the fare to the passenger's destination or first stopover, with a maximum of $1,350, if the carrier does not offer alternate transportation that is planned to arrive at the airport of the passenger's destination or first stopover less than four hours after the planned arrival time of the passenger's original flight.0 to 1 hour arrival delayNo compensation.1 to 4 hour arrival delay200% of one-way fare (but no more than $675).Over 4 hours arrival delay400% of one-way fare (but no more than $1,350).
Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
HUH? What did I miss? We don't know whether the flight departed from the USA or not AFAICT.
As the OP did not push back on the initial response about non-USA location, I have been assuming this is departing from a location outside the USA. Rereading the OP, that is not clear -- so until we hear from OP, we do not know. But the airport agents response fits the non-USA departure.

If it was departing from the USA than the DOT do clearly apply. Will adjust my earlier response to make my assumption clear.
gene2632 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As the OP did not push back on the initial response about non-USA location, I have been assuming this is departing from a location outside the USA. Rereading the OP, that is not clear -- so until we hear from OP, we do not know. But the airport agents response fits the non-USA departure.

If it was departing from the USA than the DOT do clearly apply. Will adjust my earlier response to make my assumption clear.
OP hasn't been seen on FT since the first post. Something in the initial post made me think it was SFO, but indeed that isn't clear. Perhaps we can wait a bit for a reply before concluding anything, except that it seems UA should have at least offered a hotel if there was no misunderstanding about being bumped.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.