Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

nephew got bumped from UA TPAC flight and got zero compensation, not even hotel/food

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

nephew got bumped from UA TPAC flight and got zero compensation, not even hotel/food

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by emcampbe
When I first saw the post yesterday afternoon, before it has been mentioned, this was my first thought. No matter the airport, why would agent at check in 4 hours prior to departure try to IDB someone. Really doesn’t make any sort of sense. Even if the flight was completely overbooked, UA has no idea how many might actually show up. Which is why IDB always happens at the gate.
Not so sure this would classify as an IDB. Kacee mentioned in post #38 that this is more like a "voluntary re-route"....by the check-in agent sweet-talking them into taking a different flight, and if OP's story is true, I'd tend to agree.
The idea would be that the agent knew the flight was overbooked and got unsuspecting passengers to voluntarily re-route? Something like that anyway.

Again though, all speculation...

Last edited by narvik; Aug 18, 2019 at 8:56 am
Old Aug 18, 2019, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even if the flight was completely overbooked, UA has no idea how many might actually show up. Which is why IDB always happens at the gate. Especially in a world where people can check in a day ahead from home, the office, etc.
Right.

One thing I've noticed UA doing recently is offering free, unrestricted SDC to pax on overbooked flights, even if they won't necessarily need somebody. I've also been proactively offered comp in the app for a VDB. So, they're definitely trying some new things, but I just don't understand IDB at the gate.

Now, as long as we're speculating, if it were "we're oversold; how'd you like to go tomorrow instead?" and that got morphed into "the airline won't let me fly today," through some miscommunication somewhere, well, I could understand that.
narvik likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
One thing I've noticed UA doing recently is offering free, unrestricted SDC to pax on overbooked flights...
What do you mean by 'unrestricted'?
Old Aug 18, 2019, 8:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
OP has had a tremendous run of luck in the past month or so.

HKG-EWR, forced to move from exit aisle E+ to middle for off-duty UA employee
what's UK Costco's return/exchange policy on defective laptops? Is it the same as US

I, too, have never heard of being IDB'ed at check-in, especially at a US airport. It really makes no sense.
I'm not convinced that the IDB happened at check in, although if it didn't I would probably have somehow the expected the OP to say something about the procedure to get the checked bag back (or not).

Yeah, OP says that he was first informed of the overbooked flight at check in, but it might have been the case that the actual denial of boarding occurred at the gate. If IDBs were going to be done at check in, it would seem strange to do this for almost the first passenger to appear at the airport unless customers are being rebooked onto an earlier flight departing soon (and of course on the same day).

People who don't fly a lot or don't pay attention can easily fail to distinguish between a check in agent and a gate agent. In fact, sometimes FAs and GAs are confused with each other. They're all employees in airline uniforms.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by narvik
by the check-in agent sweet-talking them into taking a different flight, and if OP's story is true, I'd tend to agree.
The idea would be that the agent knew the flight was overbooked and got unsuspecting passengers to voluntarily re-route? Something like that anyway..
That's an awful lot of initiative for a check-in agent that doesn't even really know if it's needed. I'm not saying it's impossible; I just don't understand the motive.

What do you mean by 'unrestricted'?
Last-seat availability -- not restricted by fare class inventory.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 9:02 am

Last-seat availability -- not restricted by fare class inventory.
I see, thanks.

That's an awful lot of initiative for a check-in agent that doesn't even really know if it's needed. I'm not saying it's impossible; I just don't understand the motive.
Aye, and I am starting to doubt the accuracy of the OP's story [or interpretation thereof] more and more...

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
...it would seem strange to do this for almost the first passenger to appear at the airport...
No kidding.
Check-in agent to him/herself: "Dang, looks like we're overbooked on this flight; let's get this sorted right away, and I'll ask the first few people to check-in if they'll be okay taking a different flight. I'll save UA thousands and get that sorely needed promotion!"
???
jsloan likes this.

Last edited by narvik; Aug 18, 2019 at 9:08 am
Old Aug 18, 2019, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by fumje
Passengers without seat assignments (e.g., basic economy) don't show on standby, and they are counted toward the 'Full'/'Available' display on the flight status. It's only unconfirmed passengers on the standby list.
Correct. And the standby list composed of passengers who did not get on flight goes away at flight closing.

I also agree that there's perhaps a bit of miscommunication between passenger and OP if activity occurred at check-in counter. Not sure it was an IDB.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Correct. And the standby list composed of passengers who did not get on flight goes away at flight closing.

I also agree that there's perhaps a bit of miscommunication between passenger and OP if activity occurred at check-in counter. Not sure it was an IDB.
It's one thing to offer a passenger a reroute without compensation, especially from a connection to a nonstop or to a flight that departs and arrives earlier on the same day, but IMO it's clearly unreasonable to ever expect someone to go away from the airport and come back the next day without compensation.

Moreover, if one is being rebooked to the next day, obviously the procedure would *not* be that the passenger would call UA to be rebooked as that would result in a change fee and possibly a higher fare (and risk being marked as a no show if the airport agent didn't correctly mark the ticket). So the agent's claim about doing the kid a special favor by doing the rebooking at the airport was just nonsense.

If a UA airport agent (or airport contract worker) rebooks a UA passenger for free to the next day's flight, wouldn't they be required to enter notes or codes justifying why this was done and why no change fee was charged? It's hard to imagine a legitimate reason to do this before the flight closes (flat tire rule) unless the passenger arrived in an unfit to fly state such as being drunk, which seems unlikely early in the morning and well in time for the flight. It could be very interesting to see UA's version of what happened and why the ticket was changed.

OTOH, if we're looking for a motivation for an agent to want to do this, perhaps the agent knew some nonrevs (NRSAs) trying to get onto the (full) flight and thought it would be easy to manipulate the situation to create some seats for standbys in a situation where it would have been a clear (and probably fireable) violation to offer either VDB or IDB compensation. So I really hope that someone here can clarify whether any standbys did get onto the flight.

Hopefully the OP will return soon with the route, flight number, and travel date for the original confirmed reservation.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 10:47 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Also as to US or overseas. How many overseas checkin counters are staffed 4 hours prior to a flight? A few, with multiple flights to multiple hubs, but the list isn’t many.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Right.
Now, as long as we're speculating, if it were "we're oversold; how'd you like to go tomorrow instead?" and that got morphed into "the airline won't let me fly today," through some miscommunication somewhere, well, I could understand that.
im thinking there was some sort of miscommunication as well. Either between what airport staff offered the pax and what they understood, or what pax said to the OP, and how that was interpreted. Or maybe both. Broken telephone syndrome, so to speak.

Not so sure this would classify as an IDB. Kacee mentioned in post #38 that this is more like a "voluntary re-route"....by the check-in agent sweet-talking them into taking a different flight, and if OP's story is true, I'd tend to agree.
The idea would be that the agent knew the flight was overbooked and got unsuspecting passengers to voluntarily re-route? Something like that anyway.

Again though, all speculation...
my bad - I’ve seen IDB used around this thread a lot, and thought I saw that in OP, but re-reading again, appears OP only uses the word ‘bumped’. IDB would also presumably require compensation, which per the OP wasn’t given. So bumped appears to be the more accurate term.

I'm not convinced that the IDB happened at check in, although if it didn't I would probably have somehow the expected the OP to say something about the procedure to get the checked bag back (or not).

Yeah, OP says that he was first informed of the overbooked flight at check in, but it might have been the case that the actual denial of boarding occurred at the gate. If IDBs were going to be done at check in, it would seem strange to do this for almost the first passenger to appear at the airport unless customers are being rebooked onto an earlier flight departing soon (and of course on the same day).

People who don't fly a lot or don't pay attention can easily fail to distinguish between a check in agent and a gate agent. In fact, sometimes FAs and GAs are confused with each other. They're all employees in airline uniforms.
Fair. OP doesn’t really mention the gate, so it was an assumption on my part this was at checkin counter, since that was mentioned. I’m pretty sure they always offer compensation at the gate though, at least where I’ve ever seen this. Hard pressed to see how they would ‘require’ OP to go the next day, without any comp or overnight hotel beyond a ‘discount’ (unless this was pax origin, where they probably don’t offer hotel typically). Again, reason why the OP is needed back here to provide relevant details.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
again, agreed. There are at least 2 places miscommunication could have occurred, as I previously mentioned. Hopefully, we can get at least part clarity on some of the details.

Originally Posted by fastair
Also as to US or overseas. How many overseas checkin counters are staffed 4 hours prior to a flight? A few, with multiple flights to multiple hubs, but the list isn’t many.
dont know how many, but certainly a few. Off the top of my head, probably all of NRT, LHR, FRA, MUC, and likely other more major EU cities with multiple departure like AMS, BRU, maybe ZRH? Though don’t know the schedules for all those. Also, probably HKG and possible PEK and PVG?

we still haven’t confirmed whether this was US-Asia or vv. Again, OP providing details would help.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 1:01 pm

im thinking there was some sort of miscommunication as well. Either between what airport staff offered the pax and what they understood, or what pax said to the OP, and how that was interpreted. Or maybe both. Broken telephone syndrome, so to speak.

my bad - I’ve seen IDB used around this thread a lot, and thought I saw that in OP, but re-reading again, appears OP only uses the word ‘bumped’. IDB would also presumably require compensation, which per the OP wasn’t given. So bumped appears to be the more accurate term.

Fair. OP doesn’t really mention the gate, so it was an assumption on my part this was at checkin counter, since that was mentioned. I’m pretty sure they always offer compensation at the gate though, at least where I’ve ever seen this. Hard pressed to see how they would ‘require’ OP to go the next day, without any comp or overnight hotel beyond a ‘discount’ (unless this was pax origin, where they probably don’t offer hotel typically). Again, reason why the OP is needed back here to provide relevant details.

again, agreed. There are at least 2 places miscommunication could have occurred, as I previously mentioned. Hopefully, we can get at least part clarity on some of the details.

dont know how many, but certainly a few. Off the top of my head, probably all of NRT, LHR, FRA, MUC, and likely other more major EU cities with multiple departure like AMS, BRU, maybe ZRH? Though don’t know the schedules for all those. Also, probably HKG and possible PEK and PVG?

we still haven’t confirmed whether this was US-Asia or vv. Again, OP providing details would help.
Of your list, only NRT, HKG, PEK, and PVG would have nonstop UA operated TPAC flights. BKK? SIN? ICN? I wouldn't think so, but I don't know UA's TPAC schedule very well.

I would expect most UA international outstation check in counters (unless operated by a close partner like LH) to open three hours before the flight. However three versus four isn't enough, and a person not familiar with the (foreign) airport or public transportation could arrive at the airport almost four hours before the flight, then mess around with finding the right check in counter, maybe purchase breakfast or some souvenirs,and get to the check in counter not much earlier than when it opens, thereby being among the first to check in at the airport or check bags at the airport for the flight.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Actually SIN and SYD both have at least two UA flights per day. Last month I was able to drop my luggage off about 3.5 hours before the flight and there were people ahead of me at the airport so very doable at SIN.

So it is very possible at "outstations" to drop off bags earlier then 3 hours prior to an international flight.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Vangrovsky
He checked in on-time. (again, the video shows that the agent confirming that he was one of the first few people to check-in for that TPAC flight) He checked in online the night before.(at T-23) He went up to the counter to check his luggage almost 4 hours before the flight time. That's when the agent informed him that the flight was overbooked.
I never ceases to amaze me how an online BB thread can devolve into a game of Telephone, even though the OP is but a short scroll away. The kid wasn't IDB'd at check-in. He checked-in online the night before. He was IDB'd when he went to check in his luggage.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Of your list, only NRT, HKG, PEK, and PVG would have nonstop UA operated TPAC flights. BKK? SIN? ICN? I wouldn't think so, but I don't know UA's TPAC schedule very well.
SIN and ICN have non-stop flights to the US. As do SYD, MEL, KIX, HND, CTU, and TPE, plus GUM if you consider that TPAC.

Originally Posted by Catbert10
I never ceases to amaze me how an online BB thread can devolve into a game of Telephone, even though the OP is but a short scroll away. The kid wasn't IDB'd at check-in. He checked-in online the night before. He was IDB'd when he went to check in his luggage.
Nobody is suggesting he was bumped at check-in 23 hours before the flight.

The distinction that's being discussed is whether the bump occurred at the check-in counter, by a check-in agent, or at the gate by a gate agent.

If if you want to talk Telephone, the OP's post doesn't explicitly state that he was bumped when checking in his luggage (at the check-in counter by the check-in agent) like you're claiming. It states that's when he was told the flight was oversold, but not necessarily that the bump occurred then. Thus the confusion.

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Actually SIN and SYD both have at least two UA flights per day. Last month I was able to drop my luggage off about 3.5 hours before the flight and there were people ahead of me at the airport so very doable at SIN.
The two SIN flights are ~12 hours apart, so that wouldn't be relevant today (might have been back when they were doing 1 to SFO and 1 to LAX, but now they are both SFO). The SYD flights are an hour or so apart, and the NRT departures are also close together.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Originally Posted by Catbert10
I think by "Check-In" people are referring to the "Check-In" area at the airport and not online check in. Just a play on words..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.