Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

nephew got bumped from UA TPAC flight and got zero compensation, not even hotel/food

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

nephew got bumped from UA TPAC flight and got zero compensation, not even hotel/food

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
As the OP did not push back on the initial response about non-USA location, I have been assuming this is departing from a location outside the USA. Rereading the OP, that is not clear -- so until we hear from OP, we do not know. But the airport agents response fits the non-USA departure.

If it was departing from the USA than the DOT do clearly apply. Will adjust my earlier response to make my assumption clear.
Of course we need to wait for the OP to respond, but in the meantime I think it's more reasonable to assume that the flight departs from the USA. OP says it's TPAC and every indication says it's a UA operated flight rather than a codeshare. There are lots of references to UA agents and the UA website. AFAIK the only UA operated TPAC (nonstop) flights westbound depart from the USA as UA doesn't fly to Asia or Australia/NZ from Canada or Mexico, etc. and the only eastbound TPAC UA operated nonstop flights have USA as their destination.

So the question is whether the kid was flying east or west. OP revealed that the kid has lots of TATL experience as the parents lived on opposite sides of the Atlantic. Also, OP mentions "college" (not university), which is mostly a USA term. I'm also guessing that it's more likely that a college kid would have a friend (with at least a couch but with no mention of staying with the parents) living within twenty minutes of a major international airport in the USA rather than Asia. From ICN, HKG, etc. it would take more than twenty minutes to get to a student neighborhood.

So my best guess is that it's a USA to Asia flight. Note that it's the passenger's first TPAC (and first UA) flight, not the first TATL trip or first UA trip, so despite the time of year, if we parse the OP's words, it doesn't seem to be a college kid returning from a summer vacation.

Originally Posted by fumje
OP hasn't been seen on FT since the first post. Something in the initial post made me think it was SFO, but indeed that isn't clear. Perhaps we can wait a bit for a reply before concluding anything, except that it seems UA should have at least offered a hotel if there was no misunderstanding about being bumped.
If we look at the timestamp on the OP, that might suggest particular flights as the incident apparently happened this morning,, probably before 1 pm east coast time or 10 am on the west coast. Many TPAC flights leave later than that, although we don't know how much before scheduled departure the customer was told that he would be bumped.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 17, 2019 at 3:09 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 17, 2019, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If we look at the timestamp on the OP, that might suggest particular flights as the incident apparently happened this morning,, probably before 1 pm east coast time or 10 am on the west coast. Many TPAC flights leave later than that, although we don't know how much before scheduled departure the customer was told that he would be bumped.
If the bump was this morning (one assumption), and if the OP posted soon after it happened (another assumption), since the nephew tried to check in T-4h, it could easily have happened at 8a PDT. But yes, it could also have been on the east coast, or even CDT.

But it could also have been outside of US, since OP may not have heard and posted immediately after it happened.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle

The other thing I would look at is the STBY list for the flight to see if anyone was put on the flight who was on the STBY list...
Standby list goes away after flight closed.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

Standby list goes away after flight closed.
Really? I thought on my most recent flight I could see the list of STBY pax who were successful including the seat they were assigned. This was on the app.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Really? I thought on my most recent flight I could see the list of STBY pax who were successful including the seat they were assigned. This was on the app.
Cleared SBY do show for at least a day after the flight.

We could also wait for OP to post the flight number and see if runner450 can say anything.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 2:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Does this include confirmed passengers without seat assignments or do they have a separate designation?
Old Aug 17, 2019, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does this include confirmed passengers without seat assignments or do they have a separate designation?
Passengers without seat assignments (e.g., basic economy) don't show on standby, and they are counted toward the 'Full'/'Available' display on the flight status. It's only unconfirmed passengers on the standby list.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: ba silver
If the flight was departing from the U.S then assuming the facts are correct what United would be illegal and the airline should be severely fined if that is the case.

It' s a different story if they were departing from overseas as the DOT unfortunately chooses not to require airlines to pay compensation. I know that Delta will pay compensation voluntarily ( and their COC does not exclude flights departing from foreign countries), but of the big four North-American airlines United is particularly stingy in these matters, and yet Delta' s fares are just as competitive as United.

I don' t know why the U.S doesn' t mandate compensation on inbound flights on U.S. based airlines. The E.U. does it with their member airlines and fares are no more expensive on EU based airlines. I am not a big fan of parts of EU 261 ( the airlines should not be required to pay duty of care when IROPs are out of their control, nor should they be require to pay compensation for delays, that' s what insurance is for), overselling a flight is a deliberate result of an airline selling more seats than they have. I know it fares down, but when it happnes passengers should expect to be compensated regardless of where the flight originates from. Also, airlines should be required to ask for volunteers and provide duty of care, as this is the delay is the result of a deliberate choice made by airline managment.

As an aside; in my opinion, airlines should be required in IDB situations, involuntary downgrade situations or any controllable IROPs to re-route on any airline that would get the passenger sooner, at the passenger's sole discretion ( not the airlines). If the airline won't then let the passenger purchase a ticket on another airline at the full walk up far and claim a mandatory refund from the airline that is responsible for the IROP. This will have little impact on fares as all airlines have IROPs so the payments would just cancel each oother out in the long run and would definitely benefit the passengers.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by stevendorechester
...I don' t know why the U.S doesn' t mandate compensation on inbound flights on U.S. based airlines....
The cynic in me says lobbying efforts by the airline industry.

I am in the camp that these days most federal government agencies pander to the interest of the businesses in their respective industries.

However, if there are enough incidents like the OP then it may change due to public perception and pressure.
stevendorechester likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 2:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by stevendorechester
.... I don' t know why the U.S doesn' t mandate compensation on inbound flights on U.S. based airlines. ...
An issue that would need to be worked out if the originating country (such as any in the EU) has departure rules and US DOT then as has requires, the possibility of double dipping / conflicting requirements arsies. With enough complexity you might be able to write a regulation but it will get challenging
Old Aug 17, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
OP says it's TPAC
OP siad it was the young mans first TPAC, so I assume leaving US not returning (accepting that he could be starting his trip in Asia, but unlikely)
garykung and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: ba silver
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
An issue that would need to be worked out if the originating country (such as any in the EU) has departure rules and US DOT then as has requires, the possibility of double dipping / conflicting requirements arsies. With enough complexity you might be able to write a regulation but it will get challenging
Then a sensible thing to do for an airline not to be penalized twice is simply to exempt airline from paying if it already has paid out compensation as required by another jurisdiction if the amount of compensation also satisfies local regulations. I think that' s how it woks with US-EU departures. So if KLM were to bump you out of JFK and pay 1350 USD then no EU compensation would be payable. The same can also be done after an IDB if the passenger accepts a voucher for twice the amount then the airline would be also be off the hook.

The cynic in me says lobbying efforts by the airline industry.

I am in the camp that these days most federal government agencies pander to the interest of the businesses in their respective industries.

However, if there are enough incidents like the OP then it may change due to public perception and pressure.
I' m in the same camp as you but that doesn' t stop airlines from paying out on outbound flights so it should just be more consistent. And I know Delta does it voluntarly. Up here in Canada the airlines also lobby the our government and yet we have a new passenger bill of rights. While I think compensation a little high I love certain parts of this bill.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 17, 2019 at 3:08 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 17, 2019, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by Agent69
OP siad it was the young mans first TPAC...
First with UA. Apparently a seasoned traveler with DL and AA on TPACs...
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by narvik
I would call my 21 year old son a seasoned traveler with 250k lifetime miles (for paid flights) and many more international flights on award tickets but I do not think he would have done anything different to the young man in the OP. He would have taken them (the United agents) at their word.

This mama bear OTOH would have been livid and escalated the issue. Confirmed seat, checked in 23 hours before the flight, arrived at airport with luggage four hours before the flight - everything done right. The agents see a young person (over UM age) and think they can "offload" them without consequences. Shame on the agents and United.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by narvik
That’s not how I read it.

Originally Posted by Vangrovsky
He's a young 20-year-old kid on his very first TPAC flight. It also happens to be his very first United flight. Although he is a seasoned flyer on Delta and American on TATL flights since he was 15.
First flight across the Pacific Ocean.
First flight on United Airlines.
Has flown across the Atlantic Ocean several times on other airlines.

Given these parameters, I see only two possible scenarios where this United flight is originating someplace other than the U.S.
1) Nephew is traveling on an eastbound RTW itinerary with all previous flights on other airlines or
2) Nephew is flying back to the U.S. after a sea voyage that terminated somewhere in Asia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.