Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2019, 9:35 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
Actually, under Rule 24, "[s]ubstitution of aircraft type that provides different classes of service or different seat configurations" constitutes IRROPS warranting free change or refund. Whether that applies to a swap of the miserable 2-4-2 772 HD for 1-2-1 781 can be debated, but I'd not hesitate to argue it if they did that to me (and would expect a free change at the very least).
I vaguely knew of that part’s existence but have never heard of anyone successfully getting a free change out of it unless it causes a cabin downgrade. I hope that anyone attempting to invoke that part of the CoC is successful.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: UA 1K; DL DM; IHG Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; Hertz President's Circle
Actually, under Rule 24, "[s]ubstitution of aircraft type that provides different classes of service or different seat configurations" constitutes IRROPS warranting free change or refund. Whether that applies to a swap of the miserable 2-4-2 772 HD for 1-2-1 781 can be debated, but I'd not hesitate to argue it if they did that to me (and would expect a free change at the very least).
So, does rule 24 only apply when an aircraft changes from a plane with Polaris/business and economy+/- to a plane with Polaris/business, premium plus, and economy+/- and vice versa?

Like, if an aircraft changes from true Polaris to 2/4/2 pmUA J, would rule 24 apply?

I've had vendetta-like agents on the phone tell me they don't guarantee aircraft type, even when I never said anything remotely related to aircraft change.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I'm flying the 787-10 SFO-EWR. Row 42 is the exit E+ row in front of the rear economy section. Since E+ gets an included meal, this row should get a meal since it is sold as such.

Can someone confirm? Sorry if it was answered already. I think someone asked, but I couldn't find the answer.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 10:54 pm

Programs: United Premier 1k, Hertz Presidents Circle, Hilton Diamond
I have used rule 24 several times successfully!
Old Oct 18, 2019, 12:42 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Flew LAX-EWR today in E+ and per the amenities listed on the app "alcoholic beverages are complimentary in premium cabins and Economy Plus on premium transcontinental flights".

I ordered 3 drinks over a few hours and they charged me twice, saying only the first one was free.

Had the policy changed recently? I thought the "s" on the beverages meant you could get more than one.

TIA
Old Oct 18, 2019, 1:43 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by tstauck
Flew LAX-EWR today in E+ and per the amenities listed on the app "alcoholic beverages are complimentary in premium cabins and Economy Plus on premium transcontinental flights".

I ordered 3 drinks over a few hours and they charged me twice, saying only the first one was free.

Had the policy changed recently? I thought the "s" on the beverages meant you could get more than one.

TIA
No the flight attendant was incorrect by charging you. I had the same issue on an EWR to LAX E+ flight about a week ago.

I said to the flight attendant I think you’re mistaken why don’t you check with your purser. She came back and said I was correct, later on in the second service I ordered another drink and another flight attendant said the same thing I asked her to speak to her colleague who served me first. I think some flight attendants aren’t used to the route and don’t know the rules. In fact they refunded one Gentlemens drink because they charged him in error after I made the claim

Last edited by Flying Machine; Oct 18, 2019 at 2:04 am
Old Oct 19, 2019, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
No the flight attendant was incorrect by charging you. I had the same issue on an EWR to LAX E+ flight about a week ago.

I said to the flight attendant I think you’re mistaken why don’t you check with your purser. She came back and said I was correct, later on in the second service I ordered another drink and another flight attendant said the same thing I asked her to speak to her colleague who served me first. I think some flight attendants aren’t used to the route and don’t know the rules. In fact they refunded one Gentlemens drink because they charged him in error after I made the claim
Thank you Flying Machine - appreciated!
Old Oct 19, 2019, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tstauck

TIA
I suggest you try submitting for / writing in to request a refund.

Seems like it would be reasonable to make the app decline charges for E+-seated pax on these flights.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 10:51 am

Flew EWR - LAX yesterday on the 787-10 in 42A, which is the separate E+ row from all the rest. Worried I would have to point out about the E+ free meal and drinks for that row, but they were on it and gave handed both the meal and their Old Fashioned cocktail with no issues. They even allowed my son to substitute a cheeseburger instead of the meal (chicken or pasta) with no charge.

Got two more drinks later on that flight with no issues.

Opposite of my above post LAX - EWR where they gave me one drink for free and charged me for the rest. It's only $18, but I'll still write in quick for a refund request.

Note 42A is by the exit, so plenty of legroom, but missing a window. Once you recline, you can see outside pretty decent.

- Tom
Old Oct 21, 2019, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
On the subject of meals, I have observed FAs always serving a hot meal for row 20 pax (non-E+ seats) on the pmUA 752.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, CSR
IAD-LAX Question

I understand that this route is not a part of United's premium transcon network, however, I am booked in F on a 777-200 with what is now showing at the new Polaris configuration. Should it stay the same, what level of service should I expect?
Old Oct 21, 2019, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by dcronin6
I understand that this route is not a part of United's premium transcon network, however, I am booked in F on a 777-200 with what is now showing at the new Polaris configuration. Should it stay the same, what level of service should I expect?
Standard domestic First service, irrespective of the aircraft type. Polaris bedding if you are lucky.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 4:22 pm

Nice they're flying that however! What day is the flight?
Old Oct 21, 2019, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Looks like from what you are saying it is a lie-flat F, so really that is all that matters as far as I am concerned. Having been on this flight (SFO-IAD) a few times over the past year I agree with the other comment that it is nice they ran the 777-200, from my experience certainly not common.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by nomad420
Looks like from what you are saying it is a lie-flat F, so really that is all that matters as far as I am concerned. Having been on this flight (SFO-IAD) a few times over the past year I agree with the other comment that it is nice they ran the 777-200, from my experience certainly not common.
There's been a daily 777 on SFO-IAD for years (maybe with a few gaps here and there) going back to the 77H and recliner F usually doing the 7:30 eastbound and 17:30 return. But it's definitely not the standard a/c -- I have done many miles in 737s on that route

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.