Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tobiask
Hope this is the right place to ask - I was under the impression that for Economy Plus, alcoholic beverages are free on PS routes. .... and he denied this rule - so I had to pay for a drink. Did United reverse its policy? ...
there have been other similar reports and seem to be increasing. The days of the dedicated crew for these routes are long gone and many FAs now on these routes are new or irregulars to the route. When bringing this up, remind them of the free hot meal for this route for E+ (which they have served or will serve) and the free drink are part of the same the package.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
there have been other similar reports and seem to be increasing. The days of the dedicated crew for these routes are long gone and many FAs now on these routes are new or irregulars to the route. When bringing this up, remind them of the free hot meal for this route for E+ (which they have served or will serve) and the free drink are part of the same the package.
It amazes me that this is still happening. I just printed the free drink policy from their website and will keep it in my carry-on luggage. I will be flying E+ between EWR-LAX several times over the next few months and will be prepared to offer the text to them if necessary. I guess others should do the same so that we can educate the cabin crew on their employer's policies since their employer refuses to do so.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by tobiask
Hope this is the right place to ask - I was under the impression that for Economy Plus, alcoholic beverages are free on PS routes. And, that seemed to have been the case for most of 2019 - until recently (about 4 weeks ago). Since, I have flown SFO-EWR round-trip twice, and all 4 times, flight attendants charged me for drinks. When I pointed out the rule, it was denied out-of-hand three times (but I was "gifted" a drink), the fourth time the very friendly FA checked with the parser who she said is on that route all the time, and he denied this rule - so I had to pay for a drink. Did United reverse its policy? Thank you!
just get out the CC and file a complaint with UA asking for a refund. You'll probably get an ETC for the hassle on top of it. And hopefully that way UA can track the bad apples in their crew.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
LAX-BOS still isn't PS - is that correct?
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by tstauck
LAX-BOS still isn't PS - is that correct?
Correct
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Flying Machine

Correct
Thanks!
- Tom
Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:01 am

UA LAX>EWR 777 Service

Hi. I'll start by saying I'm not a regular or loyal UA flyer - I have a very low baseline of knowledge here.

Was looking at at couple of redeyes from LAX to the NYC area, and noticed many UA flights, for instance, 1165 LAX>EWR seem to represent a very strong value in first class relative to competition. Especially since these acft are configured to continue on the TATL crossings.

I seems like, for a fraction of the price of Delta One or AA Flagship, you can still get most of the hard product (a lay flat seat), and a decent expereince for a redeye.

Is my assessment right? I could book a redeye in a true,international first class cabin - even absent frist class amenities, at a signifact savings, just to get the better seat?

Thanks.

EDIT: To fix several of the late-night typos in the original.

Last edited by Presguy; Jun 24, 2019 at 11:58 am
Old Jun 21, 2019, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Lie flat seats are standard for most airlines flying fro LAX to NYC in First. For UA, they use mostly 757s which are also used on international services. They add in the odd 777 High Density version and 787. The former is rarely used internationally whilst the latter is intended principally to be used internationally. They all have lie flat seats with only the 787-10 having Polaris seats and Premium Economy. None have Polaris service.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Advance purchase P fares LAX-EWR are darn reasonable (I've seen $559 each way, maybe others have seen lower) for a lie-flat seat. One also gets United Club access at either end with these non-stops and free bags (latter important w/o status or appropriate credit card). I don't think pricing is much different between carriers, but I tend to hang in midtown/lower Manhattan, so I find training to Penn Station from EWR more convenient that flying into JFK or LGA.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jun 21, 2019 at 6:39 am
Old Jun 21, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Presguy
I seems like, for a fraction of the price of Delta One or AA Flagship, you can still get most of the hard product (a lay flat seat), and a decent expereince for a redeye.
United's pricing in the market, as a general rule, is consistent with the business class pricing of AA/DL/B6 out of JFK, especially as it pertains to advance purchase, discount P fares. So, if your objective is to secure one of the products you mention, you can usually do it for the same price if you have some flexibility as to time and date. United is not, as a matter of strategy, pricing at a discount relative to the JFK competition.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 7:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EWR764
United is not, as a matter of strategy, pricing at a discount relative to the JFK competition.
Fares are indeed the same across the board. IME, UA offers more of the discount inventory than AA or (especially) DL, so it may be easier to find a cheap seat on UA.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
As EWR764 mentioned, the pricing of the majors on LAX-NYC is identical, and AA/DL/B6 also offer lie-flat seats. If you see UA as a "fraction of the price" that's a quirk of the inventory (number of seats left) on your particular date, and feel free to pick UA for the savings

Is my assessment right? I could book a redeye in a true,international first class cabin - even absent frist class amenities, at a signifact savings, just to get the better seat?
Yes, you get a true international first business class cabin, although note that the UA 772s on the route are usually the 77G which has the last-generation 2-4-2 IPTE seat in Business, plus lounge access at both sides (United Club, not Polaris).
Old Jun 21, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
plus lounge access at both sides (United Club, not Polaris).
AA probably offers the best lounge experience on the premium t-cons, then DL, then UA. Though you could argue that DL and UA are currently the same (totally sucky at one end), pending DL's refurb of T2 LAX.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Kacee
Fares are indeed the same across the board. IME, UA offers more of the discount inventory than AA or (especially) DL, so it may be easier to find a cheap seat on UA.
Possibly a function of having the most capacity in the market, and generally, the largest premium cabins.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by EWR764
Possibly a function of having the most capacity in the market, and generally, the largest premium cabins.
Yes I think that's right. There is likely also a factor of DL being able to extract a premium from its customers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.