Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA drops GUM-HKG

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2019, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by therossinator
Everybody talking about how UA is cutting this to focus more on Japan tourist market. Lest you forget, UA used to fly a 772 between GUM and NRT a few months ago but does not anymore.
it returns some time in August through the winter...
Old Jun 28, 2019, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
https://www.guampdn.com/story/money/...rd/1521131001/

Guam Visitor Board cites 19.5% annual increase visitor traffic from Japan, for May 2019.
Most of volume increase seems to be from charter flights to Guam.
ANA does not seem to have increased flights between gum-japan. UA is mostly down gauging (until hopefully there is more available extra planes).
But UA Hkg-gum flight traffic is consistently only 70-80% full in the 15 flights I flew over past 2 years with easy CPU upgrade.

Last edited by npei; Jun 28, 2019 at 5:18 pm
Old Jun 28, 2019, 5:17 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
... Lest you forget, UA used to fly a 772 between GUM and NRT a few months ago but does not anymore.
Those F seats were one of my favorites!
Old Jun 29, 2019, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Lest you forget, UA used to fly a 772 between GUM and NRT a few months ago but does not anymore.
I’m scheduled for a 772 from GUM-NRT in December.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 12:55 am

I don't understand - they're going to take the GUM-HKG equipment and use it for additional flights to Japan; well the GUM-HKG flights operate in the evening so the equipment would have already returned from it's Japan run. Even during winter with the evening NGO and KIX flights, that equipment was already based on GUM so the fleet is here. So what is it really? Why can't UA just cut the flight down to M and F only vs. three times weekly? Why the gradual pull out? It makes no sense at all.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 2:20 am

Location: KUL (MY), ICN (KR), ZRH (CH) or OTP (RO) - or somewhere in between
Programs: OZ, JL
One important reason must be HKG being a slot-constrained airport. UA saw the opportunity of a second daily HKG-SFO rotation and had to decide what other service to pull instead. GUM-HKG has been determined to be it.

Last edited by mihaid; Jun 29, 2019 at 2:26 am
Old Jun 29, 2019, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by david_oz
So we had this flight booked on Jan 3rd. Our full itinerary was:
YYC-SFO-HKG on Jan 1st - Paid with cash
HKG-GUM-TKK-MAJ on Jan 3rd - Paid with miles
MAJ-HNL-YYC on Jan 8th - Paid with miles

Obviously the cancellation of the HKG-GUM flight royally screwed us in this situation, and there was no other way they could get us to MAJ from HKG on that date, or any time around that date. I made the point very politely that although these were separate reservations, it is the cancellation of HKG-GUM which put us in this position, and asked if they would be kind enough to refund the YYC-SFO-HKG flight in addition to the two others. Luckily they agreed to do so.

People on this board talk a lot about the benefits of status being devalued, but in this situation United treated us extremely well, and probably bent the rules to do the right thing. I've emailed 1K voice with the agent's name to compliment her. While we're quite disappointed to not be visiting Micronesia and the Marshall Islands, the damage was limited because we haven't made any hotel commitments yet.
Rather than cancel the trip, why not have UA put you on an ANA flight from HKG to TYO (or elsewhere in Japan) and then United to MAJ via GUM and island hopper? Too much hassle?
ual744777sta likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX

Rather than cancel the trip, why not have UA put you on an ANA flight from HKG to TYO (or elsewhere in Japan) and then United to MAJ via GUM and island hopper? Too much hassle?
no availability which would get us the routing and stops we wanted unfortunately
Old Jun 29, 2019, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by david_oz

no availability which would get us the routing and stops we wanted unfortunately
Not even in revenue?
Old Jun 29, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG

Shifting GUM-Asia flights to HNL-Asia make no sense whatsoever, there are plenty of Asian carriers had already been flying those routes for years, JL, NH, CI, OZ, KE, PR, CA, MU, QF, NZ, then Asia LCC Jin Air, Air Asia, Jetstar, not to mention HA, some even have multiple flights daily, UA will fail miserably to compete direct at those airlines.
Well, I don't think UA is going to increase HNL Asia flying - but I actually think they would do fine, many Hawaii residents would like a US based carrier as an alternative to HA.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
Why doesn't UA fly GUM - DRW, with the US military between these two points you could fill it with tons of cargo in the belly
Old Jun 29, 2019, 1:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SFO_Runner
Why doesn't UA fly GUM - DRW, ....
Cairns is relatively close and that did not workout
United Cuts GUM-CNS/ICN and DEN-PTY
Old Jun 29, 2019, 3:10 pm

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
CNS and DRW are worlds apart. CNS never played host to 2500 US Marines and the build-up that's coming with. While military planes will be the primary means of transport for troops, the usual array of supporting civilians will need an additional way in.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-...ister/11043196
https://www.wsj.com/articles/darwin-...pad-1527154203
Old Jun 30, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Everybody talking about how UA is cutting this to focus more on Japan tourist market. Lest you forget, UA used to fly a 772 between GUM and NRT a few months ago but does not anymore.
The GUM-NRT-GUM 777 was a single-plane rotation that made two daily roundtrips. UA reallocated that airplane back into the mainland network this summer (did the same last year), so only one 77G was dedicated to the GUM operation, for HNL-GUM-HNL. The 777 comes back for the winter, on to GUM-NRT, for the busy season.

Originally Posted by trust77
I don't understand - they're going to take the GUM-HKG equipment and use it for additional flights to Japan; well the GUM-HKG flights operate in the evening so the equipment would have already returned from it's Japan run. Even during winter with the evening NGO and KIX flights, that equipment was already based on GUM so the fleet is here. So what is it really? Why can't UA just cut the flight down to M and F only vs. three times weekly? Why the gradual pull out? It makes no sense at all.
It was reported that the airplane is going to be used to make GUM-NGO 2x daily. I think that would still leave some aircraft time, so I wonder if UA might be increasing service elsewhere, like FUK, KIX or returning to CTS.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
CNS was around for a long time mostly catering to the Japanese leisure market. Jetstar now captures most of that traffic on nonstops to/from NRT and KIX.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Not even in revenue?
so whats the rule on that? There were no revenue tickets on united, since united obviously doesn’t serve the route anymore. They told me because it was a partner flight, we needed mileage availability on ANA.

Any revenue flight was a $3,000 cost at minimum. those schedules also didn’t work great for us either, but now I’m curious to know what I could / should have pushed for

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.