Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA drops GUM-HKG

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2019, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by david_oz
There were no revenue tickets on united, since united obviously doesn’t serve the route anymore. They told me because it was a partner flight, we needed mileage availability on ANA.
They could have (and, arguably, should have) worked with ANA to open an award seat on HKG-TYO. They have a liaison desk that's supposed to handle these issues.
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764
I think that would still leave some aircraft time, so I wonder if UA might be increasing service elsewhere, like FUK, KIX or returning to CTS.
CTS is a day time turn from GUM and a second KIX and FUK run could be in the evening...you said it right - there are more than enough aircraft on GUM; no reason why UA could not at minimum do a M,F HKG run vs pulling out completely.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by david_oz

so whats the rule on that? There were no revenue tickets on united, since united obviously doesn’t serve the route anymore. They told me because it was a partner flight, we needed mileage availability on ANA.

Any revenue flight was a $3,000 cost at minimum. those schedules also didn’t work great for us either, but now I’m curious to know what I could / should have pushed for
They could have booked it for you, likely in full Y. There are ways to mix and match revenue and award space on one ticket.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
........There are ways to mix and match revenue and award space on one ticket.
Award and revenue tickets can be on same PNR but they cannot be ticketed as one ticket. It needs to be done manually.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 2:15 am

I am sort of surprised that UA or CX haven't considered a nonstop HKG-HNL route, considering the increasing number of mainland Chinese tourists headed there.
trust77 and jp12687 like this.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by tookay
I am sort of surprised that UA or CX haven't considered a nonstop HKG-HNL route, considering the increasing number of mainland Chinese tourists headed there.
The demand is not there.

Specifically, CA had PEK-HNL before. It was canceled way earlier than HKG-GUM.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 1, 2019 at 4:52 pm Reason: stick to the issue, removed unneeded personal comment
Old Dec 2, 2019, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by garykung
The demand is not there.

Specifically, CA had PEK-HNL before. It was canceled way earlier than HKG-GUM.
CA cancelled PEK-HNL effective the end of August this year. There was some speculation that the cancellation was not entirely due to demand but possibly also taking the "trade war" into account.

Obviously if demand was there and slots were available, there would likely be HKG-HNL service, so I should have said that I am surprised the demand isn't there.

Interestingly, I was looking at FR24 one afternoon in Honolulu a couple of months ago and saw a four digit UA flight (767 aircraft) arriving at HNL from HKG, which I presume was a charter or some sort of ferry flight. Didn't let that get my hopes up!
Old Dec 2, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by tookay
Interestingly, I was looking at FR24 one afternoon in Honolulu a couple of months ago and saw a four digit UA flight (767 aircraft) arriving at HNL from HKG, which I presume was a charter or some sort of ferry flight. Didn't let that get my hopes up!
It's cabin renovation (Polarization, PP installation, 777 9-10 conversion). HKG/XMN each is constantly working on at least one UA 767 or 777. N78004 (CO 772) just flew empty HKG-IAH on Dec 1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.