Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA drops GUM-HKG

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Too bad to see the GUM-HKG flight being cut. I thought the flight did well enough but maybe things have shifted. Glad they are keeping the 737 on GUM to fly additional Japan routes. I think the Japan tourist economy is going up again for GUM.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mh3265a
Glad they are keeping the 737 on GUM to fly additional Japan routes.
The GUM-HKG flight was four times a week. I'm not sure how much additional capacity this really frees up. Is there going to be a lot of interest in weekly flights to four different Japanese cities? Or twice-weekly flights to two?
Old Jun 28, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
At this rate, UA is going to keep the routes that the government is paying for and nothing else. More brilliant thinking from Scott Kirby, I’m sure...
Old Jun 28, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
More brilliant thinking from Scott Kirby, I’m sure...
Right, because dumping a 4x weekly 737 full of low-yield traffic in favor of a 2nd daily 777 to SFO is incredibly shortsighted...
Old Jun 28, 2019, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
The past decade has seen the loss of 15 destinations: Beijing, Cairns, Denpasar, Hiroshima, Hong Kong, Nadi, Naha, Niigata, Okayama, Rota, Sapporo, Sendai, Seoul, Shanghai, and Taipei. Where exactly have these shifted to

Remaining are 10 destinations, including zero additions in the past decade: Chuuk, Fukuoka, Honolulu, Koror, Manila, Nagoya, Osaka, Saipan, Tokyo, and Yap.

Sure seems like GUM is being slowly killed off.
A clear, dramatic summary.

It prompts me to wonder how have economics and/or US govt activity changed over the past twenty years, so that those routes became irrelevant. I guess maybe that is a big question.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by fumje
A clear, dramatic summary.

It prompts me to wonder how have economics and/or US govt activity changed over the past twenty years, so that those routes became irrelevant. I guess maybe that is a big question.
GUM has always been about two things: the Japan leisure market and connecting GUM/Micronesia to the USA. As the Japanese vacation market shrank, and has now changed considerably, the GUM operation has changed commensurately.

It’s also worth noting that most markets had less-than-daily service, some even 1-2x/week. The markets which remain, especially in Japan, have more frequent service.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by jsloan
The GUM-HKG flight was four times a week. I'm not sure how much additional capacity this really frees up. Is there going to be a lot of interest in weekly flights to four different Japanese cities? Or twice-weekly flights to two?
Originally Posted by EWR764
Right, because dumping a 4x weekly 737 full of low-yield traffic in favor of a 2nd daily 777 to SFO is incredibly shortsighted...
They recently increased it IIRC 6x weekly. Still hoping after the MAX grounding is lifted they can shift 1 from the mainland to GUM.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EWR764

GUM has always been about two things: the Japan leisure market and connecting GUM/Micronesia to the USA. As the Japanese vacation market shrank, and has now changed considerably, the GUM operation has changed commensurately.

It’s also worth noting that most markets had less-than-daily service, some even 1-2x/week. The markets which remain, especially in Japan, have more frequent service.
I suppose for GUM/JPN, it looks sort of like consolidation of destinations.

Seems like there is a marked withdrawal from China, too, though. I think Chinese tourism is still on the rise, but maybe that is outdated, and/or maybe the political tensions are at play.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by jp12687
Every time I took this flight it was 75% full. I have been on many flights that are less full then that.

this really sucks. I loved that route and the pricing was great. Going from NRT to HNL is brutally expensive
Flight was only 75% full with GREAT pricing...that definitely means that UA was making a lot of profit...NOT!
Old Jun 28, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K
So we had this flight booked on Jan 3rd. Our full itinerary was:
YYC-SFO-HKG on Jan 1st - Paid with cash
HKG-GUM-TKK-MAJ on Jan 3rd - Paid with miles
MAJ-HNL-YYC on Jan 8th - Paid with miles

Obviously the cancellation of the HKG-GUM flight royally screwed us in this situation, and there was no other way they could get us to MAJ from HKG on that date, or any time around that date. I made the point very politely that although these were separate reservations, it is the cancellation of HKG-GUM which put us in this position, and asked if they would be kind enough to refund the YYC-SFO-HKG flight in addition to the two others. Luckily they agreed to do so.

People on this board talk a lot about the benefits of status being devalued, but in this situation United treated us extremely well, and probably bent the rules to do the right thing. I've emailed 1K voice with the agent's name to compliment her. While we're quite disappointed to not be visiting Micronesia and the Marshall Islands, the damage was limited because we haven't made any hotel commitments yet.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by fumje
Seems like there is a marked withdrawal from China, too, though. I think Chinese tourism is still on the rise, but maybe that is outdated, and/or maybe the political tensions are at play.
Guam had high hopes to include China in the Guam-CNMI VWP program BUT the Federal Government would not allow it. It's part security and part resources needed on Guam to monitor the program if they included China. If you're Chinese and need to apply for a visa to come to the US you're probably not wanting to go to Guam rather you wanna go to the mainland or Hawaii. I also think GVB has to pump some more targeted money into attracting a broader Chinese market but it's just hard right now. Think China will remain a charter market for Guam for some time to come.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
Too bad, a one-way SFO - HKG - GUM in P or Z was always around $1700, and a good way to guarantee a seat in Business instead of playing the GPU game. Best part was that you could schedule the HKG - GUM a few days after and still make it with checked bags
Old Jun 28, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: *bucks Gold
This the worst news I've heard in a while. I relied on that route for so much for the past five years. Not good!
Old Jun 28, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: Gov't Travel Aficionado, UA Plat
Everybody talking about how UA is cutting this to focus more on Japan tourist market. Lest you forget, UA used to fly a 772 between GUM and NRT a few months ago but does not anymore.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by therossinator
Everybody talking about how UA is cutting this to focus more on Japan tourist market. Lest you forget, UA used to fly a 772 between GUM and NRT a few months ago but does not anymore.
And that's why 6 Japan-Guam routes have been axed this decade

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.