Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2020, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread -- Active thread is United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service -- 3+ years after Intro

United website - Explore: http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris-business-class/p/1
from UA's Facebook stream
Only customers traveling in United Polaris business class or United Polaris Global First on international flights and customers in Star Alliance international first or business class cabins on flights longer than six hours will have access to the United Polaris Lounge.
Official Polaris Lounge Access Rules are here: Polaris Lounge Access Rules

United Polaris Business and Polaris First pax may access the Polaris lounge at connecting airports and their final destination within 24 hours of departure or arrival.

*A international J and F pax may only access the Polaris lounge at the departure airport. For purposes of Polaris lounge access, Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, and Guam are excluded from the definition of "international."

Seat Chart.

Press release: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300278706.html

NEW YORK, June 2, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- With the aspiration of making weary business travel a relic of the past, United Airlines today unveiled its all-new United Polaris business class, the airline's most significant product transformation in more than a decade, featuring a reimagined, sleep-enhancing, departure-to-landing experience for intercontinental travelers.

Named after the North Star, United Polaris is the shining new star of business class travel that flyers can turn to for a tranquil and restful journey.

"United Polaris will change the game in international business travel with an exceptional level of relaxation and comfort throughout our customers' journeys," said Oscar Munoz, president and CEO of United. "This completely reconceived experience exemplifies the new spirit of United and the innovation, excitement and operational momentum across our airline."

Path-Breaking Design

In setting out to create a transformative business class experience, United chose to outfit its widebody fleet with a custom-designed, exclusive-to-United seat, rather than select an option already in the marketplace. Designed in partnership with Acumen Design Associates and PriestmanGoode and manufactured by Zodiac Seats United Kingdom, each United Polaris seat will offer direct access to the aisle, 180-degree flat-bed recline and up to 6 foot 6 inches of bed space.

Crafted as individual, forward-facing, suite-like pods, each customer's personal suite will feature a "Do Not Disturb" sign, mood lighting, one-touch lumbar support, several storage areas, multiple surfaces for simultaneous working and dining, a 16-inch high-definition entertainment screen and, for seats in the center of the cabin, electronic privacy dividers. Complementing the new seats, United and PriestmanGoode have also conceived an all-new look for the United Polaris cabins.

In rethinking the international business class experience, United conducted more than 12,000 hours of research, and sleep emerged as the single most important priority for international business class travelers. United Polaris' path-breaking design and sleep-enhancing focus was inspired and informed by insights from hundreds of customers and employees, inflight product simulations and more than 100 product evaluations.

Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours**. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.

Elevated Dining Experience

Upon boarding their flight, each United Polaris customer will be welcomed with a pre-departure beverage of his or her choice and gourmet chocolate. While in the air, customers will enjoy regionally influenced in-flight menus updated seasonally, developed in partnership with The Trotter Project and its critically recognized chefs, including Bill Kim of acclaimed Chicago restaurants Urbanbelly, bellyQ and Belly Shack.

The airline will offer an upgraded wine experience, with the highest-quality options curated exclusively by United's Master Sommelier. Inflight service will also include made-to-order signature ice cream sundaes, a dessert cart with a variety of petit dessert options, chocolate truffles and wine flights. On daytime flights longer than eight hours and on all flights longer than 12 hours, hot mid-flight snacks such as lobster macaroni and cheese will be available.

Raising The Bar With United Polaris Business Class Lounges

United will also open an exclusive portfolio of United Polaris business class lounges in nine locations around the world – the only lounge of its kind offered by a U.S. airline to business class customers – that will feature custom-designed chairs, private daybeds, spa-like showers and chef-inspired hot meals served in a boutique restaurant setting so customers can refresh and dine before boarding their planes. Premium sparkling wines and spirits, refreshing snacks and bottled water will also be offered.

The first new United Polaris lounge will open at Chicago O'Hare International Airport on Dec. 1, 2016. Lounges in eight other locations – Los Angeles, San Francisco, Houston, New York/Newark, Washington Dulles, Tokyo Narita, Hong Kong and London Heathrow – will follow in 2017.

United Polaris Introduction

United will begin to introduce United Polaris on Dec. 1, 2016, with the new inflight food and beverage experience, new custom bedding from Saks Fifth Avenue, new amenity kits and the new United Polaris lounge in Chicago. The United Polaris business class seat will first take flight in December on Boeing 777-300ER aircraft and subsequently on Boeing 787-10 and Airbus A350-1000 aircraft, as well as on Boeing 767-300 and 777-200 retrofits.

United Polaris will serve business class customers flying the U.S. airline industry's most global route network, reaching more than 330 destinations in more than 50 countries.

More information on the United Polaris business class can be found at united.com/Polaris.

[From [email][email protected] 11/15/2016]
Starting December 1, 2016, United Polaris Business Class service will replace United BusinessFirst service on international flights, and United Polaris Global First service will replace the current United Global First service.

Between 2017 to 2019 eight additional United Polaris lounges will open at EWR, HKG, IAD, IAH, LAX, LHR, NRT and SFO. We do not have the exact opening dates at this time. A scheduling announcement will be forthcoming.
** Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Print Wikipost

United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2016, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by tuolumne
Is the length of the Polaris similar, or more than the IPTE C seats? I'm also 6'2" and about 210lbs, slim fit build, so while the IPTE seats were never too narrow for me, it's the long length, and the open nature of the seats where my legs fit, that always had me love them. I am size 12 shoe and never had problems with the triangular footrest (which is about 2x the size of the Diamond seats). The 67I premium seats are great and I'm sad to see them go.

All of the sCO Diamond seats, save for bulkheads, were ridiculously short. Polaris already compromises on the open leg qualities IPTE, and if that's combined with compromised length versus downstairs 747 and 2-4-2 777 I'm going to loose it. As if losing the F suites wasn't enough...!
I found the Polaris seat to be longer than the sCO Diamond seats. There's also more room at the head where the Diamond seats taper to a point, allowing a longer measurement of length but in reality less usable sleeping space. The flush headrest is an improvement over both IPTE and sCO Diamond. I found all footwells to be an improvement over IPTE.

My legs only extended to below the knee in the center bulkhead seats, and mid-calf on the aisles. The legs do not extend as deep into the seat shell as the Vantage seats.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA/CO GS, PP, MM
EWR764 thanks for the solid reporting here. Good stuff to hear. Also helps calm some of the prevailing hysteria.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 7:21 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Sorry to burst the bubble, but that photo which you say is of the 'smaller' 767 Delta Vantage is actually from this page:

http://thepointsguy.com/2016/07/sas-...-class-review/

A review of the new SAS business class on an A330.

I didn't reference it to see how bias would play out, which it did.

So now we're going to say that's a big roomy footwell....(cough)
Well, sorry to burst your bubble , but as anyone who goes to the link you post will see, the author put this caption on the the picture "There’s a decent-size foot-well beneath the display, which is where I opted to store my blanket and shoes."

The reviewer concludes: "I’ve flown in some fantastic transatlantic business-class cabins over the past few weeks, including TAP’s new A330, the new Swiss 777-300ER (review coming soon!) and Singapore’s A380 — between the seat, food and service, Scandinavian’s new A330 beats all of those products (yes, even Singapore!)"

and I note that this is on the a330 version of the Vantage XL, which is narrower than it will be on either the 777 or the 350 (the 330 is 16 in wider, and the 777 is another 27 in wider).

And oh, here is a shot that is not taken of the end of the footwell, but shows better what it looks like:

But again, this picture is far, far better, and is of the wider version of the Vantage XL+:

The angle at which a picture is taken can be very misleading.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 23, 2016 at 8:45 pm Reason: Unneeded comment removed
Old Aug 23, 2016, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by spin88
Well, sorry to burst your bubble , but as anyone who goes to the link you post will see, the author put this caption on the the picture "There’s a decent-size foot-well beneath the display, which is where I opted to store my blanket and shoes."

The reviewer concludes: "I’ve flown in some fantastic transatlantic business-class cabins over the past few weeks, including TAP’s new A330, the new Swiss 777-300ER (review coming soon!) and Singapore’s A380 — between the seat, food and service, Scandinavian’s new A330 beats all of those products (yes, even Singapore!)"

and I note that this is on the a330 version of the Vantage XL, which is narrower than it will be on either the 777 or the 350 (the 330 is 16 in wider, and the 777 is another 27 in wider).

And oh, here is a shot that is not taken of the end of the footwell, but shows better what it looks like:

But again, this picture is far, far better, and is of the wider version of the Vantage XL+:

The angle at which a picture is taken can be very misleading.
The photo is very clear - the shoes take up the width of the footwell.

And your diagram makes clear nearly half your body is in the tunnel / coffin with a tapered / much narrower than the advertised space width.

If they named this something other than Vantage I'd buy it's really different.

But this is a Vantage through and through.

And getting back to your prior comment what HVF wears shoes like that!

I think someone was smitten with Glenfiddich and Nordic crew writing that review.

Meanwhile in 4 years when these are all in place Delta will have 2x as many Vantage 2006 era seats flying around than these.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
The photo is very clear - the shoes take up the width of the footwell.

And your diagram makes clear nearly half your body is in the tunnel / coffin with a tapered / much narrower than the advertised space width.

If they named this something other than Vantage I'd buy it's really different.

But this is a Vantage through and through.

And getting back to your prior comment what HVF wears shoes like that!

I think someone was smitten with Glenfiddich and Nordic crew writing that review.

Meanwhile in 4 years when these are all in place Delta will have 2x as many Vantage 2006 era seats flying around than these.
The best comparison to the Vantage XL to be used on DL's A350-900 and 777 fleet is ANA's 77W product in terms of not just seat width but footwell as well. The Vantage XL is designed to be 1-2 inches narrower on the A330 due to the narrowness of the fuselage. The seat DL uses on the A350-900/777 will be plenty wide and should be fine with the footwell unless you're as tall as The Points Guy. As for Polaris, I leave the benefit of the doubt with those who have tried out the product. I'm sure its a major improvement to what sUA and sCO have to offer right now, not just including the all aisle access part. Does it appear to be a little narrower than many would like? Yes. But is it a big jump from the status quo excluding GF? Yes. Therein lies the biggest problem but this forum seems to have already had that conversation.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 10:22 pm

Interesting tidbit from that SAS Buisness class review posted above:

Would have been very interesting to see the other seating candidates they were considering.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 8:02 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Eadward
EWR764 thanks for the solid reporting here. Good stuff to hear. Also helps calm some of the prevailing hysteria.
My pleasure. As I noted, it's not perfect, and the design has some aspects that will rub people the wrong way, but if I went to United with my criticisms of the current product, and reasonable desires for the new one, this product would check off many of those boxes, including:

- Better ground experience
- Improved soft product, including food service and amenities
- Direct aisle access
- Greater foot space in non-bulkhead seats
- Longer bed length
- More 'premium' look and feel
- Similar seat count
- Underseat stowage
- Configuration which allows couples traveling together to actually interact (herringbone makes this difficult)

There are flaws, no doubt (width at shoulder level, armrests, aisle seat privacy, etc.) but taken as a whole, Polaris is a pretty strong product that improves the current United business class experience in every way.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 8:23 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Originally Posted by EWR764
My pleasure. As I noted, it's not perfect, and the design has some aspects that will rub people the wrong way, but if I went to United with my criticisms of the current product, and reasonable desires for the new one, this product would check off many of those boxes, including:

- Better ground experience
- Improved soft product, including food service and amenities
- Direct aisle access
- Greater foot space in non-bulkhead seats
- Longer bed length
- More 'premium' look and feel
- Similar seat count
- Underseat stowage
- Configuration which allows couples traveling together to actually interact (herringbone makes this difficult)

There are flaws, no doubt (width at shoulder level, armrests, aisle seat privacy, etc.) but taken as a whole, Polaris is a pretty strong product that improves the current United business class experience in every way.
emphasis mine... I think this is the context in which to consider the polaris thing. I don't think UA ever planned to leap-frog the competition... my belief is they tapped-out on that aspect. I think polaris represents their best attempt to trying to improve on their existing offering, in light of or in spite of leaving the international first class market.

Time will tell and hopefully the soft product is actually allowed to be implemented without the bean-counters gutting it at the first opportunity.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 3:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I think it really depends on the GS - as that group can by sliced up by rank itself. A self-made person spending tens of thousands of their own money on air travel will have a far more demanding expectation on seat and service - but in my professional experience, most folks in this caliber are not exclusively loyal to UA unless there is a reason for them to be - ie, where they live, their usual routes, etc.

Many GS are just influencers who were given their status and really have no right to be complaining about anything, and many more are just rank and file corporate slaves who are on the road constantly and earn GS using employer money.

So when you drill down on the expectations of most customers, I think UA struck a good balance between offering a significantly upgraded and modern product, while keeping the seat volume needed to support upgrade, redemptions and buyups, understanding that you can't please everyone and hit every detail.

Remember, we're talking about a US airline - this isn't Singapore, Etihad, Qantas or Emirates. We should probably wait until a decent cross-section of customers have tried out the new seat on a real flight until deciding if it's a real dud, second fiddle to Delta's new product, or perhaps something pretty good.
Well said and can’t agree more! I really like the fact UA upgrades its C cabin without cutting volume. I will become first time 1K (all my own money) this November and the number one concern for me is GPU clearing rate. I really don't care seat space since I'm 5'7. Just hope faster Polaris rollout.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by tomwhom
Well said and can’t agree more! I really like the fact UA upgrades its C cabin without cutting volume. I will become first time 1K (all my own money) this November and the number one concern for me is GPU clearing rate. I really don't care seat space since I'm 5'7. Just hope faster Polaris rollout.
I cannot imagine that UA didn't know about DL's decision before this product was announced.

Congrats on your 1K. I, too, spend my money (my business therefore my money). I just want a reasonably comfortable seat & lounge for the 24 or so hours between SGN & IAH and at a good price. UA offers that (unless I get stuck on the dreaded pmUA BF seats) & it works for me. I'm not worried about sitting next to another passenger. I've met a lot of interesting people over these decades of TPAC travel.

Doors don't matter to me. But better wines do!
Old Aug 25, 2016, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by AndyInSaigon
I cannot imagine that UA didn't know about DL's decision before this product was announced.

Congrats on your 1K. I, too, spend my money (my business therefore my money). I just want a reasonably comfortable seat & lounge for the 24 or so hours between SGN & IAH and at a good price. UA offers that (unless I get stuck on the dreaded pmUA BF seats) & it works for me. I'm not worried about sitting next to another passenger. I've met a lot of interesting people over these decades of TPAC travel.

Doors don't matter to me. But better wines do!
Right with ya. As a IAH fortress prisoner spending own money, this is my best way to make multiple TPAC and increasingly more TPAC itineraries and I'm glad it will finally (hopefully) improve!
Old Aug 25, 2016, 6:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by AndyInSaigon
I cannot imagine that UA didn't know about DL's decision before this product was announced....
I would be surprised if they did know - the vendor would be under a NDA and the exclusive rights to the announcement would be Delta's - not the vendor. A leak of their new seat before the official announcement would be a serious breach - but of course we had our own Polaris seat plans and sketches up on this forum before our own official announcement
Old Aug 26, 2016, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Do we have any idea whether the soft product between BF and GF will differ at all after 12/1 on the 3-class planes that are still flying? It'd be great if they could consistently provision mattress pads, pajamas, and slippers for "Polaris Global First" while it's around.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
Do we have any idea whether the soft product between BF and GF will differ at all after 12/1 on the 3-class planes that are still flying? It'd be great if they could consistently provision mattress pads, pajamas, and slippers for "Polaris Global First" while it's around.
Yes, according to UA's Polaris FAQ (https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...laris-FAQ.aspx):

In December 2016, when United Global First becomes United Polaris Global First, travelers will see enhancements to amenities, dining and service that will improve the overall travel experience. In addition to receiving the higher-quality United Polaris amenities, United Polaris Global First will still have the elevated amenities and specialized attention you've come to expect from our international first class service. As we update our fleet over the next several years to incorporate our signature United Polaris direct-aisle-access seating, we will be phasing out the first class cabin and moving toward a two-cabin experience for international travel.
-FlyerBeek
Old Aug 31, 2016, 9:41 am

Programs: UA1K .455 MM, Hilton and Marriott Gold
Looks like more information on Polaris Dining Experience is up

Received by email: https://hub.united.com/new-united-po..._date=20160831

News for me:
- Rotate Meals every three months
- Identified some of the new meals coming with Polaris

OT: Excited for the Dulles event tonight!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.