Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2020, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread -- Active thread is United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service -- 3+ years after Intro

United website - Explore: http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris-business-class/p/1
from UA's Facebook stream
Only customers traveling in United Polaris business class or United Polaris Global First on international flights and customers in Star Alliance international first or business class cabins on flights longer than six hours will have access to the United Polaris Lounge.
Official Polaris Lounge Access Rules are here: Polaris Lounge Access Rules

United Polaris Business and Polaris First pax may access the Polaris lounge at connecting airports and their final destination within 24 hours of departure or arrival.

*A international J and F pax may only access the Polaris lounge at the departure airport. For purposes of Polaris lounge access, Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, and Guam are excluded from the definition of "international."

Seat Chart.

Press release: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300278706.html

NEW YORK, June 2, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- With the aspiration of making weary business travel a relic of the past, United Airlines today unveiled its all-new United Polaris business class, the airline's most significant product transformation in more than a decade, featuring a reimagined, sleep-enhancing, departure-to-landing experience for intercontinental travelers.

Named after the North Star, United Polaris is the shining new star of business class travel that flyers can turn to for a tranquil and restful journey.

"United Polaris will change the game in international business travel with an exceptional level of relaxation and comfort throughout our customers' journeys," said Oscar Munoz, president and CEO of United. "This completely reconceived experience exemplifies the new spirit of United and the innovation, excitement and operational momentum across our airline."

Path-Breaking Design

In setting out to create a transformative business class experience, United chose to outfit its widebody fleet with a custom-designed, exclusive-to-United seat, rather than select an option already in the marketplace. Designed in partnership with Acumen Design Associates and PriestmanGoode and manufactured by Zodiac Seats United Kingdom, each United Polaris seat will offer direct access to the aisle, 180-degree flat-bed recline and up to 6 foot 6 inches of bed space.

Crafted as individual, forward-facing, suite-like pods, each customer's personal suite will feature a "Do Not Disturb" sign, mood lighting, one-touch lumbar support, several storage areas, multiple surfaces for simultaneous working and dining, a 16-inch high-definition entertainment screen and, for seats in the center of the cabin, electronic privacy dividers. Complementing the new seats, United and PriestmanGoode have also conceived an all-new look for the United Polaris cabins.

In rethinking the international business class experience, United conducted more than 12,000 hours of research, and sleep emerged as the single most important priority for international business class travelers. United Polaris' path-breaking design and sleep-enhancing focus was inspired and informed by insights from hundreds of customers and employees, inflight product simulations and more than 100 product evaluations.

Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours**. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.

Elevated Dining Experience

Upon boarding their flight, each United Polaris customer will be welcomed with a pre-departure beverage of his or her choice and gourmet chocolate. While in the air, customers will enjoy regionally influenced in-flight menus updated seasonally, developed in partnership with The Trotter Project and its critically recognized chefs, including Bill Kim of acclaimed Chicago restaurants Urbanbelly, bellyQ and Belly Shack.

The airline will offer an upgraded wine experience, with the highest-quality options curated exclusively by United's Master Sommelier. Inflight service will also include made-to-order signature ice cream sundaes, a dessert cart with a variety of petit dessert options, chocolate truffles and wine flights. On daytime flights longer than eight hours and on all flights longer than 12 hours, hot mid-flight snacks such as lobster macaroni and cheese will be available.

Raising The Bar With United Polaris Business Class Lounges

United will also open an exclusive portfolio of United Polaris business class lounges in nine locations around the world – the only lounge of its kind offered by a U.S. airline to business class customers – that will feature custom-designed chairs, private daybeds, spa-like showers and chef-inspired hot meals served in a boutique restaurant setting so customers can refresh and dine before boarding their planes. Premium sparkling wines and spirits, refreshing snacks and bottled water will also be offered.

The first new United Polaris lounge will open at Chicago O'Hare International Airport on Dec. 1, 2016. Lounges in eight other locations – Los Angeles, San Francisco, Houston, New York/Newark, Washington Dulles, Tokyo Narita, Hong Kong and London Heathrow – will follow in 2017.

United Polaris Introduction

United will begin to introduce United Polaris on Dec. 1, 2016, with the new inflight food and beverage experience, new custom bedding from Saks Fifth Avenue, new amenity kits and the new United Polaris lounge in Chicago. The United Polaris business class seat will first take flight in December on Boeing 777-300ER aircraft and subsequently on Boeing 787-10 and Airbus A350-1000 aircraft, as well as on Boeing 767-300 and 777-200 retrofits.

United Polaris will serve business class customers flying the U.S. airline industry's most global route network, reaching more than 330 destinations in more than 50 countries.

More information on the United Polaris business class can be found at united.com/Polaris.

[From [email][email protected] 11/15/2016]
Starting December 1, 2016, United Polaris Business Class service will replace United BusinessFirst service on international flights, and United Polaris Global First service will replace the current United Global First service.

Between 2017 to 2019 eight additional United Polaris lounges will open at EWR, HKG, IAD, IAH, LAX, LHR, NRT and SFO. We do not have the exact opening dates at this time. A scheduling announcement will be forthcoming.
** Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Print Wikipost

United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2016, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by libuser
i just hope paid memberships get in. This sure looks exciting, and guess what they are finally realizing that amex is beating them at their own airports and they are just now doing something against it.
I sure hope not if that means it'll be as packed as Amex lounges.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Just remember that getting rid of 2-4-2 == (effectively) getting rid of upgrade possibilities.
Not necessarily . . . if they have roughly the same C:Y ratio on the new planes, then presumably upgrade chances remain the same. That said, the change may mean UA wants to make it a "more premium" experience and limit upgrades in other ways, such as higher copays/miles or greater limits on GPU use.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
1K / GS only access would be nice.....
Old Jun 2, 2016, 1:59 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
There are lots of things called Polaris. I thought of the North Star, then snowmobiles/ATVs, then the Marvel superheroine.
Yes, but only the missile and the new business class fly through the stratosphere in an aluminum tube. I think that missiles and civilian aircraft are too close aerodynamically for a comfortable association.

This must have come up in the focus group testing, otherwise they didn't do a very good job of testing the concept.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by bioyuki
I'm a bit disappointed in the lack of product consistency and likely slow rollout (77W/787-10/A350 deliveries are pretty slow), 788/789 won't get the product, no timeline on 772/763 retrofit.

In all seriousness, given the expected lifespan of the 788/789, how are they not going to get retrofitted with the new product?
Maybe by the time they're due for a retrofit, UA will have another new product/rebranding of "polaris".

I'm pretty sure that on or about December 2, there will be an FT thread speculating upon and demanding the next generation of lie flat seats after Polaris.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 2:01 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by transportprof
Yes, but only the missile and the new business class fly through the stratosphere in an aluminum tube. I think that missiles and civilian aircraft are too close aerodynamically for a comfortable association.

This must have come up in the focus group testing, otherwise they didn't do a very good job of testing the concept.

Do you seriously think this is an issue?
Old Jun 2, 2016, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status

I suspect that the number of people who remember the Polaris missile is a small and diminishing set.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by ironmanjt

Who can use the United Polaris Lounge?
Only customers traveling in United Polaris business class or United Polaris Global First on international flights and customers in Star AllianceTM international first or business class cabins on flights longer than six hours will have access to the United Polaris Lounge.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...laris-FAQ.aspx
Old Jun 2, 2016, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So long as the aircraft isn't launched from a submarine, I think we'll be okay. @:-)

Originally Posted by qplazm1982
Who can use the United Polaris Lounge?
Only customers traveling in United Polaris business class or United Polaris Global First on international flights and customers in Star AllianceTM international first or business class cabins on flights longer than six hours will have access to the United Polaris Lounge.
This has been cited several times and yet we still get "I wonder if they'll let {my special little snowflake group} in too?" questions.

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Wow...a lot of pages with the same handful of comments. Guess I'll throw mine in too.

1. New product looks nice.
2. Disappointed this was the only announcement today, but also relieved I suppose.
3. I really couldn't care less what they call it, as long as it's not Business First. At least this time they made up their minds rather than stringing two cabins together. But I will never say to someone "I'm flying Polaris class to X".

Every change pleases some people and not others. There's way more positive here than negative.

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by drewguy
It's transitional branding anyway, and presumably they want to convey that you get both a global first and a polaris experience.
That is actually pretty smart in a way. Change the name of current Business Class to United Polaris Business Class and current GF to United Polaris Global First - then with new product roll out and aircraft reconfiguration moving to Polaris class won't be much of a difference. Also you can already align the lounges (as it sounds they are) and probably they'll start to align some of the check-in desks, etc. as well.

It's a smart "phase-out" of GF. Still sad to see it go - but as most know (and I'm sure United more than anyone) there is just not that much of a market for it anymore.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 2:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
Why people here are so obssed with naming and complain? Personally I like this name, even if I don't like, I do have more important things to care, like food and seat...etc.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 2:08 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Will be interesting to see if this is something that gets fully implemented.

Wine - The existing wine list is fine, it's just that none of the good ones are available on most flights. United looks at the wine list as a list that they have available across the network, not what they have on your specific flight. Therefore, when they say new expanded super duper wine list, unless they plan to put the good stuff across the Polaris flight network, then it is just more inconsistency and disappointment for customers.

Seat - The seat looks good. It is actually still 2-4-2, but due to the way it is staggered, they have managed to configure it to being all aisle access. Some will complain about this, I see this as well done on their part.

Pajamas - Many other carriers have had this for a long long time. Hard to see it as a negative even though I never wear them on the flights where they are provided (EK, VS etc)

Lounge - I'd like to see clarity on if this is just the new United club, or if it is a replacement only for the GFL lounges. On my IAD-LAX flight last week, we poked our heads into the GFL lounge at IAD, and were more or less yelled at for it. We were both in the Global First Cabin on the 777 to LAX, both were 1K, and the agent shouted that this lounge is only for 2 flights (Shanghai and somewhere else).

IF, the polaris lounge is just to replace the GFL lounge, then it seems like a hell of a waste of money, branding and space for a handful of flights.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by bioyuki
I just don't understand rolling out, what looks like a pretty good product, but only on a minority of your fleet in the next 3-4 years.
With the continually declining life-cycles of premium product seats, perhaps the company is just hedging their bets for a new seat, to be unveiled in perhaps 4-5 years time. Remember this seat is a project of the Smisek-era. It began in 2012. For all we know Oscar and the team intend for this to be a short lifecycle product. Just speculation.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 2:12 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Looks like dishware will be updated with the "negative space" graphic as well.
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.