Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2020, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread -- Active thread is United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service -- 3+ years after Intro

United website - Explore: http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris-business-class/p/1
from UA's Facebook stream
Only customers traveling in United Polaris business class or United Polaris Global First on international flights and customers in Star Alliance international first or business class cabins on flights longer than six hours will have access to the United Polaris Lounge.
Official Polaris Lounge Access Rules are here: Polaris Lounge Access Rules

United Polaris Business and Polaris First pax may access the Polaris lounge at connecting airports and their final destination within 24 hours of departure or arrival.

*A international J and F pax may only access the Polaris lounge at the departure airport. For purposes of Polaris lounge access, Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, and Guam are excluded from the definition of "international."

Seat Chart.

Press release: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300278706.html

NEW YORK, June 2, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- With the aspiration of making weary business travel a relic of the past, United Airlines today unveiled its all-new United Polaris business class, the airline's most significant product transformation in more than a decade, featuring a reimagined, sleep-enhancing, departure-to-landing experience for intercontinental travelers.

Named after the North Star, United Polaris is the shining new star of business class travel that flyers can turn to for a tranquil and restful journey.

"United Polaris will change the game in international business travel with an exceptional level of relaxation and comfort throughout our customers' journeys," said Oscar Munoz, president and CEO of United. "This completely reconceived experience exemplifies the new spirit of United and the innovation, excitement and operational momentum across our airline."

Path-Breaking Design

In setting out to create a transformative business class experience, United chose to outfit its widebody fleet with a custom-designed, exclusive-to-United seat, rather than select an option already in the marketplace. Designed in partnership with Acumen Design Associates and PriestmanGoode and manufactured by Zodiac Seats United Kingdom, each United Polaris seat will offer direct access to the aisle, 180-degree flat-bed recline and up to 6 foot 6 inches of bed space.

Crafted as individual, forward-facing, suite-like pods, each customer's personal suite will feature a "Do Not Disturb" sign, mood lighting, one-touch lumbar support, several storage areas, multiple surfaces for simultaneous working and dining, a 16-inch high-definition entertainment screen and, for seats in the center of the cabin, electronic privacy dividers. Complementing the new seats, United and PriestmanGoode have also conceived an all-new look for the United Polaris cabins.

In rethinking the international business class experience, United conducted more than 12,000 hours of research, and sleep emerged as the single most important priority for international business class travelers. United Polaris' path-breaking design and sleep-enhancing focus was inspired and informed by insights from hundreds of customers and employees, inflight product simulations and more than 100 product evaluations.

Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours**. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.

Elevated Dining Experience

Upon boarding their flight, each United Polaris customer will be welcomed with a pre-departure beverage of his or her choice and gourmet chocolate. While in the air, customers will enjoy regionally influenced in-flight menus updated seasonally, developed in partnership with The Trotter Project and its critically recognized chefs, including Bill Kim of acclaimed Chicago restaurants Urbanbelly, bellyQ and Belly Shack.

The airline will offer an upgraded wine experience, with the highest-quality options curated exclusively by United's Master Sommelier. Inflight service will also include made-to-order signature ice cream sundaes, a dessert cart with a variety of petit dessert options, chocolate truffles and wine flights. On daytime flights longer than eight hours and on all flights longer than 12 hours, hot mid-flight snacks such as lobster macaroni and cheese will be available.

Raising The Bar With United Polaris Business Class Lounges

United will also open an exclusive portfolio of United Polaris business class lounges in nine locations around the world – the only lounge of its kind offered by a U.S. airline to business class customers – that will feature custom-designed chairs, private daybeds, spa-like showers and chef-inspired hot meals served in a boutique restaurant setting so customers can refresh and dine before boarding their planes. Premium sparkling wines and spirits, refreshing snacks and bottled water will also be offered.

The first new United Polaris lounge will open at Chicago O'Hare International Airport on Dec. 1, 2016. Lounges in eight other locations – Los Angeles, San Francisco, Houston, New York/Newark, Washington Dulles, Tokyo Narita, Hong Kong and London Heathrow – will follow in 2017.

United Polaris Introduction

United will begin to introduce United Polaris on Dec. 1, 2016, with the new inflight food and beverage experience, new custom bedding from Saks Fifth Avenue, new amenity kits and the new United Polaris lounge in Chicago. The United Polaris business class seat will first take flight in December on Boeing 777-300ER aircraft and subsequently on Boeing 787-10 and Airbus A350-1000 aircraft, as well as on Boeing 767-300 and 777-200 retrofits.

United Polaris will serve business class customers flying the U.S. airline industry's most global route network, reaching more than 330 destinations in more than 50 countries.

More information on the United Polaris business class can be found at united.com/Polaris.

[From [email][email protected] 11/15/2016]
Starting December 1, 2016, United Polaris Business Class service will replace United BusinessFirst service on international flights, and United Polaris Global First service will replace the current United Global First service.

Between 2017 to 2019 eight additional United Polaris lounges will open at EWR, HKG, IAD, IAH, LAX, LHR, NRT and SFO. We do not have the exact opening dates at this time. A scheduling announcement will be forthcoming.
** Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Print Wikipost

United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2016, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
I'm not going to say that I have the most sophisticated wine palate, but honestly, with the swill that's been served, the FA's description of 'red or white' was a bit more helpful than 'pinot noir or malbec' since both were pretty bad. I usually just went with Dewars to avoid the unpleasantness Hopefully those menu inserts match the actual offerings!
At the risk of OT, I never drink generic pinot noir - as it's just not an easy grape to make cheaply. Surprised about the Malbec - almost all Argentine Malbecs are drinkable.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 8:11 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by halls120
Other airlines provide a wine list and then serve the wines on the list. Why can't United do the same?
That's easy: the "under $5" specials that they buy at Trader Joe's change too quickly for them to keep the wine list up to date.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 6:46 pm

I am so very skeptical of this plan working. Just watching the way the UA FA's operate compared to other airlines leads me to think the soft product will never be on par with other international carriers. I just flew NRT-IAH in business - a flight I take several times a year - and the quality of service doesn't even come close to ANA, Asiana, or Lufthansa, all of whom they partner with. Sitting in 1D and having to watch FA's dig through drink carts, spill drinks, drop ice cubes on the floor, rummage through their personal bags (which they put in the overhead bins over my seat), and just blatantly disregard the fact that they are there to provide a service that leaves their customers with a good impression tells me there's little chance Polaris will be anywhere close to its peers. It really doesn't matter how much training is involved. Until the culture changes where service is the priority rather than who has the most bidding seniority, nothing will change. It's about delivering quality, and up to now UA hasn't demonstrated anything close to this concept.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by iflyabunch
I am so very skeptical of this plan working. Just watching the way the UA FA's operate compared to other airlines leads me to think the soft product will never be on par with other international carriers. I just flew NRT-IAH in business - a flight I take several times a year - and the quality of service doesn't even come close to ANA, Asiana, or Lufthansa, all of whom they partner with. Sitting in 1D and having to watch FA's dig through drink carts, spill drinks, drop ice cubes on the floor, rummage through their personal bags (which they put in the overhead bins over my seat), and just blatantly disregard the fact that they are there to provide a service that leaves their customers with a good impression tells me there's little chance Polaris will be anywhere close to its peers. It really doesn't matter how much training is involved. Until the culture changes where service is the priority rather than who has the most bidding seniority, nothing will change. It's about delivering quality, and up to now UA hasn't demonstrated anything close to this concept.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 7:01 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

I had this EXACT SAME discussion leaving HKG yesterday when the manager of on-board came to greet me at my seat before departure. She said that they were looking forward to Polaris very much and I told her with the culture (union) and attitude (United has screwed us for all these years - why should we care) United has - even with the new seats and "better" food - it's going to be virtually impossible to pull this off. Very sad to say - and I do hope it succeeds and I am wrong - but call me very skeptical.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
If you have a different viewpoint, I'd love to hear it, especially from a FA's perspective.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 7:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If you have a different viewpoint, I'd love to hear it, especially from a FA's perspective.
The best crew I had on a recent trip to Asia was UA HKG-SFO. They were just fantastic. (Trip included flights on CX, KA, and TG btw.) On the outbound (SFO-TPE), the crew was a little slow, and there was some of the fumbling around that you mention, but they were genuine and warm and really tried to provide good service.

Does UA service consistently match SQ or CX or KE? No. But it can be quite good. And most of the time the effort is there, even if the polish is not. It's certainly worlds better than two or three years ago and I'm hopeful there will be continued improvement.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 7:56 pm

I actually think UA gets a bad wrap in premium class. They have fantastic IFE selection ok the service is mediocre but to me the most important thing is IFE and food. My big question is how much improved do we expect the dining will be in terms of quality of the food and how will global first post Dec 1 be handled food wise in the interim before its phased out?
Old Oct 18, 2016, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by ASUDan130
I actually think UA gets a bad wrap in premium class. They have fantastic IFE selection ok the service is mediocre but to me the most important thing is IFE and food. My big question is how much improved do we expect the dining will be in terms of quality of the food and how will global first post Dec 1 be handled food wise in the interim before its phased out?
I wouldn't expect a quantum leap change in food.

More menu rotation, somewhat better ingredients, but smaller portions.

Think back to the portion sizes you got in UA biz before the merger, maybe a bit more than that, but with nicer presentation and more creative dishes, and more elaborate dessert.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ASUDan130
I don't think you can undervalue the impact the soft product has on the food or IFE. I had a good opportunity to run through several over carriers mixed with UA, and sadly the way the people treated me could not be overcome by any form of hard product.

To describe, all which happened in under a week: did SFO-SYD on a UA 789. Then SQ from MEL to SIN, and then NH from SIN to HND. Last leg was back on our home base with NRT-DEN on a UA 788. The NH and SQ on board team was so friendly and welcoming, and tried to take care of us. The UA crews were so hard and mechanical that they couldn't wait to throw us off the plane.

I know this isn't new territory. Some people think that the Asian airlines staff overly fawn to fliers in C. I just don't see it - I think they just provide good service and actually try to help.

<edit> One last thing. I skipped Star Trek Beyond because I figured I would watch it on the plane. Being a Trekkie and all that, I was pumped after missing it in theaters. UA didn't have it, but SQ and NH did. That was a big strike on UA and IFE. Although I had to laugh the way NH edited out Spock's reference to horse excrement. SQ had no problem letting that go.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 8:34 am

Programs: UA1K .455 MM, Hilton and Marriott Gold
minor points - non-US carriers don't even carry ice, so ca't drop any!

LH C service is not all that great, as it is slow, robotic, and not exactly quick to re-fill drinks during the meal service. Can't speak to ANA, but LH service isn't light years ahead of UA service.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 9:00 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by BigBossman
minor points - non-US carriers don't even carry ice, so ca't drop any!

LH C service is not all that great, as it is slow, robotic, and not exactly quick to re-fill drinks during the meal service. Can't speak to ANA, but LH service isn't light years ahead of UA service.
I have to disagree with that statement. LH service absolutely is light years ahead of United. Ask a LH FA about the wine they're serving for example and they'll actually give you an informed response, rather than the asinine and insulting "we have red AND white."

No, they don't do the saccharin thing that you get in diners and in United cabins sometimes: "Hah, ahm Tammy Faye and ahl be yall's server today" Instead, they're appropriately reserved and engage only if it appears you are receptive to it. Very classy compared to UA service, which tends to be in-your-face either for good or bad.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by katan
<edit> One last thing. I skipped Star Trek Beyond because I figured I would watch it on the plane. Being a Trekkie and all that, I was pumped after missing it in theaters. UA didn't have it, but SQ and NH did. That was a big strike on UA and IFE. Although I had to laugh the way NH edited out Spock's reference to horse excrement. SQ had no problem letting that go.
Slightly OT, but really? I watched it on a 3-class 772 just last week.

The thing that gets me about United's IFE is that it's so scattered across the fleet. PDE selections seem to be far behind the AVOD.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 10:27 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by findark
Slightly OT, but really? I watched it on a 3-class 772 just last week.

The thing that gets me about United's IFE is that it's so scattered across the fleet. PDE selections seem to be far behind the AVOD.
I think maybe only on sUA planes with AVOD (it was available on a p.s. configured 752 as well, but not on DTV).
Old Oct 19, 2016, 10:41 am

Programs: UA1K .455 MM, Hilton and Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by porciuscato
I have to disagree with that statement. LH service absolutely is light years ahead of United. Ask a LH FA about the wine they're serving for example and they'll actually give you an informed response, rather than the asinine and insulting "we have red AND white."

No, they don't do the saccharin thing that you get in diners and in United cabins sometimes: "Hah, ahm Tammy Faye and ahl be yall's server today" Instead, they're appropriately reserved and engage only if it appears you are receptive to it. Very classy compared to UA service, which tends to be in-your-face either for good or bad.
It is "y'all" and I use it myself. As in a contraction of "you all". Maybe you have lived in a coastal, U.S. city too long, but being friendly and welcoming, as opposed to robotic or indifferent, to strangers/customers is pretty normal in most of the rest of the country. It doesn't make it "saccharin" in your words.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.