Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2020, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread -- Active thread is United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service -- 3+ years after Intro

United website - Explore: http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris-business-class/p/1
from UA's Facebook stream
Only customers traveling in United Polaris business class or United Polaris Global First on international flights and customers in Star Alliance international first or business class cabins on flights longer than six hours will have access to the United Polaris Lounge.
Official Polaris Lounge Access Rules are here: Polaris Lounge Access Rules

United Polaris Business and Polaris First pax may access the Polaris lounge at connecting airports and their final destination within 24 hours of departure or arrival.

*A international J and F pax may only access the Polaris lounge at the departure airport. For purposes of Polaris lounge access, Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, and Guam are excluded from the definition of "international."

Seat Chart.

Press release: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300278706.html

NEW YORK, June 2, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- With the aspiration of making weary business travel a relic of the past, United Airlines today unveiled its all-new United Polaris business class, the airline's most significant product transformation in more than a decade, featuring a reimagined, sleep-enhancing, departure-to-landing experience for intercontinental travelers.

Named after the North Star, United Polaris is the shining new star of business class travel that flyers can turn to for a tranquil and restful journey.

"United Polaris will change the game in international business travel with an exceptional level of relaxation and comfort throughout our customers' journeys," said Oscar Munoz, president and CEO of United. "This completely reconceived experience exemplifies the new spirit of United and the innovation, excitement and operational momentum across our airline."

Path-Breaking Design

In setting out to create a transformative business class experience, United chose to outfit its widebody fleet with a custom-designed, exclusive-to-United seat, rather than select an option already in the marketplace. Designed in partnership with Acumen Design Associates and PriestmanGoode and manufactured by Zodiac Seats United Kingdom, each United Polaris seat will offer direct access to the aisle, 180-degree flat-bed recline and up to 6 foot 6 inches of bed space.

Crafted as individual, forward-facing, suite-like pods, each customer's personal suite will feature a "Do Not Disturb" sign, mood lighting, one-touch lumbar support, several storage areas, multiple surfaces for simultaneous working and dining, a 16-inch high-definition entertainment screen and, for seats in the center of the cabin, electronic privacy dividers. Complementing the new seats, United and PriestmanGoode have also conceived an all-new look for the United Polaris cabins.

In rethinking the international business class experience, United conducted more than 12,000 hours of research, and sleep emerged as the single most important priority for international business class travelers. United Polaris' path-breaking design and sleep-enhancing focus was inspired and informed by insights from hundreds of customers and employees, inflight product simulations and more than 100 product evaluations.

Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours**. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.

Elevated Dining Experience

Upon boarding their flight, each United Polaris customer will be welcomed with a pre-departure beverage of his or her choice and gourmet chocolate. While in the air, customers will enjoy regionally influenced in-flight menus updated seasonally, developed in partnership with The Trotter Project and its critically recognized chefs, including Bill Kim of acclaimed Chicago restaurants Urbanbelly, bellyQ and Belly Shack.

The airline will offer an upgraded wine experience, with the highest-quality options curated exclusively by United's Master Sommelier. Inflight service will also include made-to-order signature ice cream sundaes, a dessert cart with a variety of petit dessert options, chocolate truffles and wine flights. On daytime flights longer than eight hours and on all flights longer than 12 hours, hot mid-flight snacks such as lobster macaroni and cheese will be available.

Raising The Bar With United Polaris Business Class Lounges

United will also open an exclusive portfolio of United Polaris business class lounges in nine locations around the world – the only lounge of its kind offered by a U.S. airline to business class customers – that will feature custom-designed chairs, private daybeds, spa-like showers and chef-inspired hot meals served in a boutique restaurant setting so customers can refresh and dine before boarding their planes. Premium sparkling wines and spirits, refreshing snacks and bottled water will also be offered.

The first new United Polaris lounge will open at Chicago O'Hare International Airport on Dec. 1, 2016. Lounges in eight other locations – Los Angeles, San Francisco, Houston, New York/Newark, Washington Dulles, Tokyo Narita, Hong Kong and London Heathrow – will follow in 2017.

United Polaris Introduction

United will begin to introduce United Polaris on Dec. 1, 2016, with the new inflight food and beverage experience, new custom bedding from Saks Fifth Avenue, new amenity kits and the new United Polaris lounge in Chicago. The United Polaris business class seat will first take flight in December on Boeing 777-300ER aircraft and subsequently on Boeing 787-10 and Airbus A350-1000 aircraft, as well as on Boeing 767-300 and 777-200 retrofits.

United Polaris will serve business class customers flying the U.S. airline industry's most global route network, reaching more than 330 destinations in more than 50 countries.

More information on the United Polaris business class can be found at united.com/Polaris.

[From [email][email protected] 11/15/2016]
Starting December 1, 2016, United Polaris Business Class service will replace United BusinessFirst service on international flights, and United Polaris Global First service will replace the current United Global First service.

Between 2017 to 2019 eight additional United Polaris lounges will open at EWR, HKG, IAD, IAH, LAX, LHR, NRT and SFO. We do not have the exact opening dates at this time. A scheduling announcement will be forthcoming.
** Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Print Wikipost

United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2016, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Perhaps it is out of the topic but since many has raised the unpleasant/inconsistency on product offerings between UA international BF (or soon Polaris) to domestic F.

I just want to put things in perspective and also want to be fair to the US carriers. If one flies frequently on some of the finer Euopean carriers will notice the vast differences between their international J seats and intra-Europe business seats in their narrow body fleet. I think UA (and AA. DL) comes out on the more favorable side. Those intra-Europe seating is no different than the economy seating with the exception of empty middle seat in the 3-3 seating configuration. There is no IFE in most of the narrow-body planes, and what is a pillow?

I think TK is an exception. Their narrow-body fleet is equipped with decent F seats, wonderful catering and good IFE.

Qantas and New Zealand (same between their long haul product and domestic narrow body jets), although they do fly widebody on some routes...so does UA, AA and DL.

Has anyone flown intra-Asia/domestic J in the Korean, Asiana, JAL and ANA 737s? US carriers are competitive.

Even my favorite airlines, SQ, has different J seats between their long haul fleet and intra-Asia fleet. Intra-Asia 777/A330s do not have flat seats, although they do not have narrow bodies. I do have experience going from SQ A380 in J to Silk Air(SQ flight number) 737 in F, and that gap in experience is greater than from UA BF to UA domestic F.

We should just realize interntional long haul market is a different market segment than domestic market segment with the exception of certain US transcon routes, and be fair to UA (and other US carriers). Majority of the airlines around the world are doing the same thing.

A few exceptions: ME3

Yes, bring back the pillows, please!

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Oct 3, 2016 at 5:30 pm
Old Oct 3, 2016, 5:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Perhaps it is our of the topic but since many has raised the unpleasant/inconsistency on product offerings between UA international BF (or soon Polaris) to domestic F.

I just want to put things in perspective and also want to be fair to the US carriers. If one flies frequently on some of the finer Euopean carriers will notice the vast differences between their international J seats and intra-Europe business seats in their narrow body fleet. I think UA (and AA. DL) comes out on the more favorable side. Those intra-Europe seating is no different than the economy seating with the exception of empty middle seat in the 3-3 seating configuration. There is no IFE in most of the narrow-body planes, and what is a pillow?

I think TK is an exception. Their narrow-body fleet is equipped with decent F seats, wonderful catering and good IFE.

Qantas and New Zealand (same between their long haul product and domestic narrow body jets), although they do fly widebody on some routes...so does UA, AA and DL.

Has anyone flown intra-Asia/domestic J in the Korean, Asiana, JAL and ANA 737s? US carriers are competitive.

Even my favorite airlines, SQ, has different J seats between their long haul fleet and intra-Asia fleet. Intra-Asia 777/A330s do not have flat seats, although they do not have narrow bodies. I do have experience going from SQ A380 in J to Silk Air(SQ flight number) 737 in F, and that gap in experience is greater than from UA BF to UA domestic F.

We should just realize interntional long haul market is a different market segment than domestic market segment with the exception of certain US transcon routes, and be fair to UA (and other US carriers). Majority of the airlines around the world are doing the same thing.

A few exceptions: ME3

In Europe, it seems like most/many of the connecting flights are fairly short - 45-90 minutes flying time whereas in the U.S. it seems like a lot more 2-4 hour connecting flights. In Asia, most of the regional flights (CX, JL, TG, SQ) seem to be on widebody flight with J seats that are at least at the level of the pre-flat bed snoozers.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by elitefreak
What does Polaris intl. have to do with the 737?
Originally Posted by transportprof
Recall that Smisek used to wax on eloquently about "the network"? Many Polaris pax will continue their journeys aboard (or from) ratty 737s. The upgrade to intl J will make the tatty domestic front cabins look even more homely. And when pax ask for a pillow in domestic F.....
Thank you, transportprof; a more precise response than was warranted by my snark. My speculation/hope was only that the marketing of an 'elevated' experience for international service, i.e. Polaris, seeps down to the domestic F cabin. While I enjoy the refurb F on the airbuses, the 737s are just pathetic. Especially on transcons. Years ago, when I lived in Chicago and was splitting my time between there and NJ, we joked that UA's service was always the dreaded 'Newark 57'. Invariably, these were the most ratty and run-down 757s that UA operated. Now that moniker can be applied to many of the 737s.

Perhaps it is our of the topic but since many has raised the unpleasant/inconsistency on product offerings between UA international BF (or soon Polaris) to domestic F (...)
Well said. I'll take a two by two cabin configuration over a continental breakfast tray any day. Just hoping that some of the service components of Polaris are adapted for the domestic F market. It doesn't have to be a Saks branded pillow, but any pillow would be much appreciated on the domestic side. ^
Old Oct 3, 2016, 7:26 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Am I the only person not excited about this product rolling out? I'll reserve my judgement until I try out one of the seats. However:

I carry my own AV as I greatly dislike UA content - don't they check against IMDb? - I wish they would have an hdmi port so I can connect (they won't).

If I'm flying business, at most I only want a light healthy snack before I board - UA club now often provides good quality healthy food (this was an excellent and much needed enhancement of UA club!!!!), so that sort of defeats the purpose of having an 'exclusive' lounge for me. I can't be the only person watching my calories when I fly? These 'enhanced' lounges had more merit when UA club was poor

Also I've rarely had a problem getting a shower at the UA clubs that offer it.

I don't particularly want a private cubicle - sometimes I meet interesting people when I fly...it's not a plus but not a minus either - I'm kind of neutral on this

The most important thing when I fly is a comfortable seat with decent leg room. I'm sure the leg room will be fine as 6'6" of bed space and I'm only 6'; so is the seat comfy? If it is I'll be a happy camper.

Last edited by ermintrude; Oct 3, 2016 at 7:35 pm
Old Oct 3, 2016, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
In Europe, it seems like most/many of the connecting flights are fairly short - 45-90 minutes flying time whereas in the U.S. it seems like a lot more 2-4 hour connecting flights. In Asia, most of the regional flights (CX, JL, TG, SQ) seem to be on widebody flight with J seats that are at least at the level of the pre-flat bed snoozers.
It's still difficult to compare just based on flight time/distance. While it's true in Asia they will use widebodies on 2-4h flights, but we're talking about 1-3 flights daily. For example, TPE-SGN is 3h flight, but BR only offers 3 flights daily, while similar EWR-DFW, UA offers 6 daily. The latter gives the consumer more choices and also helps with any delays or weather issues. So basically different market dynamics and aircraft gauge for each market/region.

I think UA_Flyer said it best:
I just want to put things in perspective and also want to be fair to the US carriers.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by ermintrude
The most important thing when I fly is a comfortable seat with decent leg room. I'm sure the leg room will be fine as 6'6" of bed space and I'm only 6'; so is the seat comfy? If it is I'll be a happy camper.
YMMV; it sounds like folks who have broad shoulders / wide bodyframe will not enjoy it all that much. I'm short (5'6") so length is not an issue at all, but I do have broad shoulders - I personally felt fine in the seat.

You'll probably form your opinion the first time you get to sit in one
Old Oct 3, 2016, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ermintrude
I don't particularly want a private cubicle - sometimes I meet interesting people when I fly...it's not a plus but not a minus either - I'm kind of neutral on this

+1
Sadly the days of social flyers are waning. Now it's about the experience of being walled off from others.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by AndyInSaigon
+1
Sadly the days of social flyers are waning. Now it's about the experience of being walled off from others.
So you're probably one of the few who love sitting in the middle of the 2-4-2 pmUA J seats?
Old Oct 3, 2016, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Some of the TK narrow bodies are equipped with decent seats, in particular some of their A321's. Other TK narrow body seats are like other EU carriers seats; i.e. regular Y seats with middle left vacant.

OZ narrow body J/C seats are like domestic USA F seats.

Don't stay up nights waiting for this one.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 6:01 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Keller281
Just came back from MUC IAD. Did not notice anything real german on the menu in BF. UA did not even bother to list the wines. I will do the same MUC IAD flight in November.
It seems like the steak option ex-EU has spätzle as the starch every October... but it hardly resembles what one can get in Munich!!
Old Oct 4, 2016, 7:04 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
So you're probably one of the few who love sitting in the middle of the 2-4-2 pmUA J seats?
Only when I have anthropophobes on each side.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 5:54 am

Programs: United 1K, EL AL Silver
United Polaris at TLV

Quote from an IL Newspaper

Avi Friedman, director of United Airlines Israel, said that the airline was negotiating to open a business lounge for passengers at Ben Gurion Airport, similar to lounges in airports around the world. If it succeeds, United will be the first airline other than El Al to have such a lounge. All airlines currently use a lounge operated by the airport.

However, Friedman is doubtful that space can be found for a United-only lounge. “When Terminal Three was built it did not take into consideration the possibility of lounges for airlines. If possible, Star Alliance, the international consortium of airlines, would take space for all its member airlines.”
Old Oct 7, 2016, 9:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Just booked SFO-HKG RT in GF at the end of January. I'm assuming this flight will have the upgraded bedding, dining and, "service". The Polaris press releases note that pajamas will be offered upon request for flights over 12 hours. While SFO-HKG is over this the return is blocked at 11hr 50min. Better keep the pair provided on the way there

Do we think this may be an exception? Its nice amenity. I always forget to pack some basketball shorts and normally get stuck wearing jeans on these flights.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by JHake10
Just booked SFO-HKG RT in GF at the end of January. I'm assuming this flight will have the upgraded bedding, dining and, "service". The Polaris press releases note that pajamas will be offered upon request for flights over 12 hours. While SFO-HKG is over this the return is blocked at 11hr 50min. Better keep the pair provided on the way there

Do we think this may be an exception? Its nice amenity. I always forget to pack some basketball shorts and normally get stuck wearing jeans on these flights.
Nope its specifically for flights over 12 hours. Example they will be provisioned for TLV-EWR but not EWR-TLV.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 10:11 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Nope its specifically for flights over 12 hours. Example they will be provisioned for TLV-EWR but not EWR-TLV.
Another example of something idiotic done by your employer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.