Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yet another foot story!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2019, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
Feet are fine in a footwell, and that's exactly where they belong. I don't want them on my armrest and I'd also prefer not to see them in the air or on a bulkhead wall.
Agreed, and this is true regardless of whether they are encased in shoes or not.
Miggles, lianluo, chavala and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold; 1MM; Marriot Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by chavala
Guess again! I have been to ALL of Asia and many times over since I was a young backpacker in the 80s.
I have lived in Bangkok. I’m writing this now from Sri Lanka.
Pointing your feet at someone IS offensive, but it doesn’t matter if they’re bare or wearing shoes.
The pic above would be just as offensive if the pax was wearing shoes.

Think about it. What do you think is dirtier? The bottom of a bare foot or the bottom of a shoe? Think about all the crap you walk through on a normal city street.
Most Asians would think you’re a pig for wearing shoes inside their home.
Even in touristy Bali, people take off their shoes before walking into a shop.
Would you walk into a temple or a mosque wearing shoes? Some don’t even allow socks (and the tourists that do it anyway look like complete idiots).
Chavala, I agree with you. I spend a good amount of time in Japan, where no shoes inside is the rule. Our feet are cleaner than anyone's shoes (I'm sure there are some exceptions, of course). Why a bare foot or sock encased foot is more offensive (assuming it's not intruding in your space) that a shoe clad foot is confusing to me. We dont wear shoes in our house back here in the US either.
chavala likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold; 1MM; Marriot Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by onthesam
I'm just gonna post this here and try not to puke for the next 3 hours while it points at me.

I'm genuinely interested/curious why the bare foot makes you feel sick, as opposed to the bottom of your shoe? Was there a smell?
chavala likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
And now I would love to hear the answer to the question of flip flops. Is that disgusting too?
What about strappy sandals...you can see her toes! Ewwww!
Curious where do you draw the line?
I’m a bit surprised I need to mention this on what I thought was a travel forum.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 30, 2019 at 6:52 pm Reason: removed off topic content
Old Dec 3, 2019, 8:30 am

This has clearly been a problem since the 80s.
narvik likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Saw this beauty on EZE-IAH a couple of weeks ago.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 10:09 am

Well at least you weren't on this Delta flight:

Old Jan 3, 2020, 11:22 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SS255
Saw this beauty on EZE-IAH a couple of weeks ago.
Oh no! Is that a FOOT??? I hope they called a biohazard team to deal with it!
Old Jan 3, 2020, 11:35 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SS255
While I join others in finding bare feet on bulkheads, seatbacks, or going to the restroom disgusting - I see nothing wrong with that photo unless I am missing something. I can deal with someone taking off shoes and leaving feet on the ground at their seat.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
While I join others in finding bare feet on bulkheads, seatbacks, or going to the restroom disgusting - I see nothing wrong with that photo unless I am missing something. I can deal with someone taking off shoes and leaving feet on the ground at their seat.
Yes, but are there pants?
Miggles and BadgerBoi like this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'm with chavala on this. Shoes are even worse than the feet. Don't put either on the bulkhead, or on my seat or armrest (or on the table at work, or on the sofa I might sit on), but shoes are 100x worse than bare feet. Heck, if you've washed your feet and are indoors, have at it.

I find it bizarre and amusing when people object to the bare feet, but don't bat an eyelid at standing on their seat in their shoes.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Feet are fine in a footwell, and that's exactly where they belong. I don't want them on my armrest and I'd also prefer not to see them in the air or on a bulkhead wall.
I have no problem with feet or socked feet in a footwell. Personally I have a problem with shoes going in the footwell (into which my feet will later go when I sleep). That's disgusting in my book. Unfortunately, there's not much I can do about it, at least in North America. End of the day in life, we have to all learn to adapt and deal with things we don't like.
chavala and ExplorerWannabe like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 3, 2020 at 12:47 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 3, 2020, 12:15 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Ironinc this thread was top this morning.

Stunned yesterday to see the pax in 2E on IAH-MSY yesterday take off her shoes and placed her bare feet on the floor. At the end of the flight put those bare feet back into her shoes and walk off the plane.

Ick!
Old Jan 3, 2020, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by atword
Well at least you weren't on this Delta flight:
All watchers go "Booo, how disgusting!" after watching the video.

2nd video appears, showing the person getting up and not having any arms.

All watchers go: "Ahhh, that's, like, so cool!"
Old Jan 3, 2020, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Returning to the original topic . . .

Originally Posted by corbetti
i would have just raised the arm rest. point made, no contact with shoe required.
That is always what I immediately do every single time a shod or unshod foot appears on my armrest from behind.

It has become an automatic, habitual reaction.

In the dozens of times I have briefly raised and lowered the armrest, I have never looked back nor received confrontation from behind.

I have occasionally received appreciative, annoyed, sympathetic, or humorous commentary from seatmates when this happens.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by narvik
All watchers go "Booo, how disgusting!" after watching the video.

2nd video appears, showing the person getting up and not having any arms.

All watchers go: "Ahhh, that's, like, so cool!"
If that was true we would probably agree but I don't think there is a second video on this one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.