Yet another foot story!

Old May 8, 2019, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
Yet another foot story!

I was flying EWR to SFO yesterday, in an E+ window seat. I was reading when I felt a funny nudge on my left elbow. Yup, the woman behind me manged to wedge her foot (at least she had her shoe on!) all the way onto my arm rest. My first thought was, geez, my big Ladies size 9 foot would never fit in that space People are just so oblivious, I can't believe she thought it was okay to take up a chunk of my armrest with her foot. sigh...
Old May 8, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
Ugh. How did you respond?
Old May 8, 2019, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FightingIlliniUAL
Ugh. How did you respond?
I nudged her back of course! She finally moved her foot.
eric.chen3742 likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 1:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I've experienced this several times.

It is always a traumatic experience
Old May 8, 2019, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
I've experienced this several times.

It is always a traumatic experience
Ha! It's just another little air travel indignity
Old May 8, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
You are too nice.........

Just Sayin'
JetBunny and chavala like this.
Old May 8, 2019, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
This is one example of where the in-flight magazine can be very helpful.

1. Arm rest foot encroacher (from behind you) - bend the magazine so it fills the space at the back of the armrest between the two seats.

2. Arm rest neighbor encroacher (neighbor's arm or other body part extending past the side of your arm rest closest to you) - stick the magazine upright in the space between your arm rest and your seat. It's not a claim on the common armrest, since it's entirely in your space. I've done this many times. It doesn't even come across as passive-aggressive; it just looks like you set the magazine aside for a moment.
Old May 8, 2019, 3:10 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Unfortunately, I believe tasers are prohibited on-board items.
wpcoe, oopl and Hammerklavier like this.
Old May 8, 2019, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jtwiz
I nudged her back of course! She finally moved her foot.
That's disgusting; I don't want to touch her foot.

Do people not talk any more? "Excuse me, could you please take your foot off my armrest?". Polite and to the point.
JetBunny, cre95, janehoya and 4 others like this.
Old May 8, 2019, 8:23 pm

A shoe you say? As in an item of clothing that always seems to attract chewing gum?
Old May 8, 2019, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Do people not talk any more? "Excuse me, could you please take your foot off my armrest?". Polite and to the point.
This.

I was in the UA 747 way back when sitting in the upper deck exit window barcalounger, when the guy in the window seat behind me stuck his bare feet along the top of the lockers so that they were right next to me. I turned around and politely asked him to move his feet out of my space, which he did right away. (But with a look that appeared to me to be slightly bewildered. Well, too bad for him!)
Old May 9, 2019, 1:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Do people not talk any more?
I don't find it particularly easy to talk to the person sitting behind me whilst sitting in E+; you have to unbuckle, and more-or-less stand up and turn around to look over the seat-back, to see & speak to the person.
In OP's case I may have also resorted to a tap on the shoe; seems most expedient.
jtwiz likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 6:58 am

Programs: UA 1k MM, AA EXP MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Avis First (oh boy)
i would have just raised the arm rest. point made, no contact with shoe required.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 7:58 am
Original Poster

{I}t was just an annoyance and kind of gross, not a situation where I wanted to get into an altercation mid flight. A simple nudge back made my point, the offending foot was removed!
narvik likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 9, 2019 at 1:00 pm Reason: Quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old May 9, 2019, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by jtwiz
In any case, it was just an annoyance and kind of gross, not a situation where I wanted to get into an altercation mid flight. A simple nudge back made my point, the offending foot was removed!
I will say something and have received varying reactions. Most people somewhat shamefully move their feet. A guy on an AS flight LAX-MEX started a big argument that became quite unpleasant. I'd seen his group in the lounge previously and was hoping they were not going to be on my flight. That's always the guy that sits right behind (or next to) you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.