Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking questions / issues / experiences for Air India (AI)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA award booking questions / issues / experiences for Air India (AI)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Seems like UA has clearly not fixed all of the recent award issues with AI. Spent about 90 minutes on the phone with a great agent today. She could see the exact same AI inventory that UA.com displayed, but every segment that she attempted to ticket ultimately came back as unconfirmed by AI. She definitely seemed to know what she was doing and reached out to other desks to document the issue. On the plus side, she was able to manually piece together, correctly price, and ticket a four segment award on UA/NH/TG to KTM that UA.com would have never even offered me and that allows me to avoid AI altogether. I felt like it was 2016 again and wasn't aware agents were still able to do this.

-FlyerBeek
mrt88 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 2:42 pm

United award tickets for Air India

Guys - can somebody reiterate their experience snagging award tickets on air india? The only one I ever found was a phantom award for a flight that doesnt exist, looking for NYC to BOM. I see they are starting a non stop in Feb too. Thanks
Old Dec 30, 2022, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by sam007
Guys - can somebody reiterate their experience snagging award tickets on air india? The only one I ever found was a phantom award for a flight that doesnt exist, looking for NYC to BOM. I see they are starting a non stop in Feb too. Thanks
Air India runs into problems with phantom award availability moreso than other *A carriers, IME. As I also recently discovered, their system aggressively flags and cancels duplicate bookings for the same flight, usually within a minute of it being created (most of the time before it can even be ticketed). So if you're holding a reservation with another carrier (LH, AC, revenue ticket direct with AI etc), for the same flight you're now trying to book as an award with UA, it will almost certainly fail until those other reservations get cancelled out.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 6:19 pm

Ok how about J class availability? Is it far poorer compared to LH LX etc
Old Dec 30, 2022, 7:11 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
I had good success with SIN DEL round trip...both y and j was available. I had no problems with the ticket or the flight, and i was able to select seats on the AI website.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
no issue with availability ... but AI J is 'bad' ... pretty much no matter who you ask. I'd stay away from it and book on a decent carrier
Old Dec 31, 2022, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
no issue with availability ... but AI J is 'bad' ... pretty much no matter who you ask. I'd stay away from it and book on a decent carrier
I'm only intersted because of a non-stop JFK-BOM starting mid-Feb. Are the restrooms clean in J and are they lie flat seats with average comfort to sleep?
Side question - does it matter if I hit reply or quote when responding to you? Do you get notified either way?
Old Dec 31, 2022, 8:37 am

I've done QR, EY, LH, KL, UA, VS, BA, and AI in J and F (NYC -DEL mostly). My preference would always be the non-stop from NYC. Despite the subpar product - AI typically has the best arrival time and I sleep comfortably in the J seats.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm only intersted because of a non-stop JFK-BOM starting mid-Feb. Are the restrooms clean in J and are they lie flat seats with average comfort to sleep?
Side question - does it matter if I hit reply or quote when responding to you? Do you get notified either way?
thankfully that is not the case . Youd have to use an @xxxxx to do that.

low standards will help . UAs EWR-DEL will still be non-stop and much better IMO
Old Dec 31, 2022, 2:00 pm

Also can anybody moment on AI flight staff tolerance to go back and forth between classes or exchange seats for a few hours? I dont expect 4 award seats to become available so may have to compromise with 2 in business and 2 in coach but our kids are young so well have to check with them often. Thanks
Old Jan 1, 2023, 11:59 am

Also can anybody moment on AI flight staff tolerance to go back and forth between classes or exchange seats for a few hours? I don’t expect 4 award seats to become available so may have to compromise with 2 in business and 2 in coach but our kids are young so we’ll have to check with them often. Thanks
I wouldn't count on it - except for you going back to the Y cabin. If young they might need to fly as UAMs if in a different cabin.

Award availability used to be quite OK but I haven't checked since covid so no idea.
Old Jul 9, 2023, 9:38 pm

Programs: QFF
Is United Filtering out AI Awards?

Have another issue when searching award. United seems to be filtering out some awards.
They are visible for a brief time and then they disappear.

example: searching for ewr - del - briefly shows the AI option, but a couple of seconds later it disappears

then a second later

Any idea on how to get around this issue?
Old Jul 10, 2023, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by somebol
Have another issue when searching award. United seems to be filtering out some awards.
They are visible for a brief time and then they disappear.
example: searching for ewr - del - briefly shows the AI option, but a couple of seconds later it disappears
then a second later
Any idea on how to get around this issue?
It's not available according to EF. Phantom? Can't replicate on united.com either
Old Jul 10, 2023, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
It's not available according to EF. Phantom? Can't replicate on united.com either
definitely not phantom. can see the availability on AC and EF
Old Jul 10, 2023, 3:32 pm

Is United Filtering out Awards?

Noticed this when searching for awards on AI metal.

YVR - DEL on September 19th.
Both EF & AC show availability.

But when searching on united, the screen briefly shows the AI option, but it disappears a second later.

I have made a screen capture of this issue

screenshots:
AI appears when the page is loading

But disappears a second later.

Any tips on how to avoid this issue?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 10, 2023 at 3:44 pm Reason: Please do not post duplicated queries, it is a FT rules violation, and could lead to deletion -- for now will merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.