Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overhead bins for large items ONLY??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by porciuscato
I'm under 6'0, but I have arthritis. So a full foot area in front of a 30 inch pitch will not work. My small laptop bag has to go overhead. It's the only thing I take on the plane and it's simply absurd that I should have to put it under the seat to make room for someone who is going to take up 5X as much space.

If I bring an empty rollaboard along and put my laptop bag inside it, can I then stow my laptop bag overhead?
Actually my rollaboard is used primarily for my laptop and a book/magazine and sometimes I put my handbag in it.

Please do not start stealing my "idea". 😛
Old Apr 12, 2019, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by onthesam
ORD-DEN today while boarding fa made repeated announcements that small items were not to go in the overheads.
Absolutely ridiculous.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
I fly often with just a personal item. I sit in an aisle seat typically so I usually put my small personal bag in the overhead and access it during the flight as needed. I have never been asked to remove it and place it beneath my seat. If that started to happen I would just shift to a "large carry-on", agree ridiculous.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: UAL 1k, AA Gold, Delta Silver
Not in defense of rude FAs, but.....

Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
First, it is heartening to see that the OP did get resolution and some love from UA for the rude FA behavior. That's great, good for you!

Second, as to the raging debate.. I'm tall and I board early and I'll darn well put what I can in the overhead. I usually travel with two small bags and will not kowtow to those who bring the just-barely-legal rollaboard plus another item. As the plane fills, if someone ends up in a situation where they will have to check a bag due to full bins, I'll offer to put one under the seat in front of me. But in the mean time, I'm going to give my arthritic knees the best care I can.

The carriers have turned overhead space into a battle zone, and one of the few things I get for my MM Gold status is an early boarding group.
.... I really must agree. The airlines know full well this comes up in every flight because passengers are now squeezed in every direction. Seats are the smallest the’ve ever been. Underseat storage is taken up by AV equipment. Passengers are bringing on gargantuan carryons to avoid baggage fees. Etc etc. Yet there is clearly no training for airline staff in how to deal with these situations. It’s evident in the wild variety of experiences of everyone on FT. I had a run-in with another passenger who stowed four (yes, four!) carryon bags in the immediate OH space (including above my seat) such that my one small roller bag had nowhere to go. The FA who finally interceded announced her judgement based on “who was there first”. So, back to a space 5 rows back my bag went (albeit helped by some very kind fellow passengers who, I think, felt the decision was unfair). The point being, as long as airlines continue to pretend that all is hunky dory, it’s going to be totally up to the attitude and good will and good judgement of particular FAs, leaving passengers as the losers again.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
The carrot isn't working with carry-on. Now it is time for the stick it seems.But it could all be nipped at the bud at the gate.
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
The carrot isn't working with carry-on. Now it is time for the stick it seems.But it could all be nipped at the bud at the gate.
I dunno. Does that mean every bag goes into the sizer? I've seen that (F9) and it's frustrating and a huge waste of time in 90% of the cases. Especially when the sizers are in no way near representative of the overhead bins on the aircraft. Or does that mean everything with wheels gets a gate check tag, as I've seen some agents do? Most people just pocket the tag on the jet bridge and quietly take their stuff aboard anyway (as I do) - I fly every week and know my stuff fits on every aircraft I fly, and am always boarding in group 1.... How do you fix it at the gate?
Old Apr 14, 2019, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by holland
I dunno. Does that mean every bag goes into the sizer? I've seen that (F9) and it's frustrating and a huge waste of time in 90% of the cases. Especially when the sizers are in no way near representative of the overhead bins on the aircraft. Or does that mean everything with wheels gets a gate check tag, as I've seen some agents do? Most people just pocket the tag on the jet bridge and quietly take their stuff aboard anyway (as I do) - I fly every week and know my stuff fits on every aircraft I fly, and am always boarding in group 1.... How do you fix it at the gate?
I'm boarding group 1 as well and just a general look around the boarding area you can usually see the outrageously sized ones that will only fit in sideways. Like you I am usually seated with carry-on stowed and I see pax coming up the aisle with rollaboards the size of small child bashing their way through and thinking "you'll be back soon" and watching that play out. I don't know how I would approach it but one of my thoughts is that any bag that does not fit in wheels in/out gets removed to make way for ones that do and gets gate checked, no dicussion as to "whos bag is this?" it just goes. Same with rucksacks that are the size of small African nations that will only go in lengthways. And of course an announcement says "take your rucksack off before entering the aircraft". Ryanair could learn a lot from me!
janehoya likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:39 am

Programs: AAdvantage - PLT Pro, United Premier PLT, HHonors - Diamond, National - Ex. Elite
Originally Posted by LordHamster
I would argue by ONLY taking a personal item aboard, you've already been more courteous than 95% of the flying population. However, if you'd like to go the extra mile and put your one item under your feet, I commend you. Just don't try to make me feel guilty about taking only one tiny item onboard... then daring to store it overhead rather than underfoot.

Just to be clear.. in the case where someone a carryon and a personal Item, I agree, the personal item should go under the seat.
Could not agree more! I check my bag EVERY trip. EVERY trip. So I don't want to hear {comments} about putting my computer bag in the overhead big. The space under the seat in front of me is for my feet, not a computer bag. If people insist on carrying their bags because heaven forbid they actually have to go to baggage claim, well then don't complain about occasionally having to check your bag due to a lack of overhead bin space.

Sorry, but it is obviously a very sore subject with me. Weekly.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 15, 2019 at 5:28 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 6:20 am

Programs: *bucks Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's just plain foolishness to pick a fight with an FA, just as it's foolishness to mouth off to TSA or CBP. Especially AFTER the issue has already been resolved in your favor.

It's easy to talk big on line. We get this foolish bravado every time one of these threads crops up.
Mouthing off / unnecessary disrespect aside, not questioning injustice and abuse of power by DHS and 14 CFR-empowered frivolous FAs is not foolish, it's the American way. We may be on the road to dystopia (or maybe already there), but I sincerely hope we continue to rationally assert our right not to be bullied, especially not by agents of a corporation whose wages we directly fund.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I rarely see much abuse on domestic flights - most people have one bag but there are more than a few like myself that have a 22" suitcase and a backpack/large handbag combo. Maybe 1 in 100 has a third item and maybe 1 in 50 a suitcase that will not fit wheel out in a standard 737, 757 or 319 bin. So I think the abuse part is overrated. For international I normally fly paid C and sometimes have a small shopping bag with duty free when I'm headed home in addition to my 22" and swiss laptop backpack, but I have never ever seen the Polaris bins 100% full - usually the opposite with plenty of open space. So I'm not taking anyone's space with my duty free or even my backpack when flying TATL or TPAC.

As for the "policy" I've said it before and will say it again: I fully expect to put both my items in the overhead bin, and think I've earned that privilege, both through status and by flying on full Y domestic for business and paid C international. If UA decides to mandate that all 2nd carry-on items must go under the seat, I will switch to another airline for my domestic travel. That's non-negotiable for me. I don't check bags except on Qantas where I have no choice (or on a ski trip). I could not care in the least if a Group 3-5 customer has to check a bag because the bins are full. Better them than me as they probably paid less and have no status.
porciuscato and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I rarely see much abuse on domestic flights - most people have one bag but there are more than a few like myself that have a 22" suitcase and a backpack/large handbag combo. Maybe 1 in 100 has a third item and maybe 1 in 50 a suitcase that will not fit wheel out in a standard 737, 757 or 319 bin. So I think the abuse part is overrated. For international I normally fly paid C and sometimes have a small shopping bag with duty free when I'm headed home in addition to my 22" and swiss laptop backpack, but I have never ever seen the Polaris bins 100% full - usually the opposite with plenty of open space. So I'm not taking anyone's space with my duty free or even my backpack when flying TATL or TPAC.

As for the "policy" I've said it before and will say it again: I fully expect to put both my items in the overhead bin, and think I've earned that privilege, both through status and by flying on full Y domestic for business and paid C international. If UA decides to mandate that all 2nd carry-on items must go under the seat, I will switch to another airline for my domestic travel. That's non-negotiable for me. I don't check bags except on Qantas where I have no choice (or on a ski trip). I could not care in the least if a Group 3-5 customer has to check a bag because the bins are full. Better them than me as they probably paid less and have no status.
I use my "status" sort of the other way. I almost always have to check bag(s) some are even odd sized (for work). As I can check up to 3 bags for free I basically check everything except what I want/need on the flight (wallet, ipad, headphones, reading material,etc....) This stuff generally fits easily in a small "personal bag". Not saying your way is wrong at all but for me this works well and I don't get hassled. An additional benefit is I usually take an aisle seat so it also doesn't matter if I board last which I often will and then avoid the scrum at the gate during the initial boarder process.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Just heard FA announce:

"for those of you who do a lot of traveling, if something fits underneath the seat in front of you, then it doesn't go overhead"
Old Apr 27, 2019, 6:51 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Just heard FA announce:

"for those of you who do a lot of traveling, if something fits underneath the seat in front of you, then it doesn't go overhead"
You appear to have flights with the overhead police. Interesting it was limited to those who do a lot of travelling. Well this frequent flyer is going to ensure my carryon is "too large" to fit under the seat in front of me, which I think if all of the FFers start doing this will actually result in less room in the overhead.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
You appear to have flights with the overhead police.
until recently I had never heard a PA on the subject. Now I've heard something on 2 of my last 10 flights.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just heard FA announce:

Meanwhile, Friday night I saw a passenger take up a substantial section of an overhead with his hat. Luckily, the flight wasn't full and there was plenty of room for everyone's carry-ons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.