Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2021, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the archive thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1960195-b737max-cleared-faa-resume-passenger-flights-when-will-ua-max-flights-resume.html

Thread Topic
The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
READ BEFORE POSTING

Once again many posters in this thread have forgotten the FT rules and resorted to "Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming " and other non-collegial, non-civil discourse. This is not allowed.

Posters appear to be talking at others, talking about others, not discussing the core issues. Repeating the same statements, saying the same thing LOUDER is not civil discourse. These problems are not with one poster, they are not just one point of view, ...

As useful as some discussion here has been, continuing rules violations will lead to suspensions and thread closure. Please think about that before posting.

The purpose of FT is to be an informative forum that, in this case, enables the UA flyer to enhance their travel experience. There are other forums for different types of discussions. This thread was had wide latitude but that latitude is being abused.

Bottom line, if you can not stay within the FT rules and the forum's topic areas, please do not post.
And before posting, ask if you are bringing new contributing information to the discussion -- not just repeating previous points, then please do not post.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This thread has engendered some strongly felt opinions and a great tendency to wander into many peripherally related topics. By all normal FT moderation standards, this thread would have been permanently closed long ago ( and numerous members receiving disciplinary actions).

However, given the importance of the subject, the UA Moderators have tried to host this discussion but odd here as UA is not the top 1 or 2 or 3 for MAX among North America carriers. However, some have allowed their passion and non-UA related opinions to repeatedly disrupt this discussion.

The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Discussion of Boeing's culture or the impact on Boeing's future is not in scope. Nor is comments on restructuring the regulatory process. Neither is the impacts on COVID on the general air industry -- those are not UA specific and are better discussed elsewhere. And for discussion of UA's future, there is a separate thread.

Additionally repeated postings of essentially the same content should not happen nor unnecessarily inflammatory posts. And of course, the rest of FT posting rules apply including discuss the issue and not the posters.

The Moderator team feels there is a reason / need for this thread but it has been exhausting to have to repeated re-focus the discussion -- don't be the reason this thread is permanently closed ( and get yourself in disciplinary problems).

Stick to the relevant topic which is (repeating myself)

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

United does not fly the 737 MAX 8 that has been involved in two recent crashes, but it does operate the 737 MAX 9.

How to tell if your flight is scheduled to be operated by the MAX 9:

View your reservation or flight status page, either on the web or on the app. United lists the entire aircraft type. Every flight that is scheduled to be on the 737 MAX will say "Boeing 737 MAX 9." If you see anything else -- for example, "Boeing 737-900," it is not scheduled to be a MAX at this time.

The same is true in search results and anywhere else on the United site.

For advanced users: UA uses the three letter IATA identifier 7M9 for the 737 MAX 9.

All 737 MAX aircraft worldwide (MAX 8, MAX 9, and MAX 10) are currently grounded.

Print Wikipost

B737MAX Recertification - Archive

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by BF263533
And, the 737-MAX and 777-X (Big MAX) appear to reflect more than "tweaking" or "modifying." With the 737 MAX they are placing much larger engines higher and more forward of the modified wing, on a plane designed for much smaller engines, generating a lot of aerodynamic issues being addressed with software. What was needed was a much higher landing gear. The United 737-200 is one of the first planes that I flew almost 50 years ago with much smaller engines balanced under the wings. Google a picture of the 737-200 and compare it to the 737 MAX. I saw a post or article stating it is like Ford putting putting a much larger engine in & stretching the Model T. To think that the 737 is one of the first airplanes that I flew on almost 50 years ago, and that it may be one of the last airplanes that I fly on before I move on to final rest in the Great Sky, makes me wonder, could Boeing have done better & its customer airlines insisted on better?

There was radical change a long time ago as well. Take a look at a 737-300 vs a -200. Radical stretch / change from the cigar engines to the then larger forward weighted ones used until the Max.

And the 737-200 had its own flaws. Very prone to pitch up - was a factor in the stall that led to the Air Florida crash in DC (and also one as recently as 2012 in Pakistan). Pilots ultimately responsible, and a sensor was also involved, but the design of the aircraft and its unique handling characteristics played a memorable role.

Lots that can be done better - but are we certain a clean sheet airframe would be free of its own boundary pushing and flaws. Remember the induction of the Airbus A320 and its fly by wire.

I'll bet most of us though would have rather seen the 757 be updated.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jmastron
Does the simulator accurately replicate the force required to turn the manual trim wheels at the speeds involved in these incidents? And do at least some of the runaway trim scenarios involve full downward deflection before the pilots are allowed to start recovering (including feeling how much effort required to both turn the trim wheels and to hold the stick/yoke back), and do they include "surprise" runaway when the pilot doesn't expect it (as opposed to failing to stop when the pilot releases the electric trim switch so they realize more quickly )?

I don't mean those at all to sound like loaded questions; I'm genuinely curious and appreciate all of the real pilots who are adding their insight in this thread.
They are not loaded questions at all. There is a lot of really good information in this thread unfortunately it's buried within some dramatic, purely speculative nonsense.

I have to be honest, just don't remember the exact pitch/power scenarios we used for the runaway trim training, it's been a long time since I was in that aircraft. However I do recall the training exercise was more than just hitting the cutoff switches after turning the automation off. You had the re-trim the aircraft, add or reduce power to get the plane stable for the procedure to be complete. There were full trim deflections both up and down that were demonstrated and recovery had to be made from both.

In regards to your question about surprise runaway trim. The B737 is very easy to diagnose. For argument's sake, lets just assume a pilot would not recognize the situation by the excessive force on the yoke required to climb, descend, or maintain level flight; probably clue #1 . An obvious secondary sign would be the trim wheel going nuts, spinning uncontrollably inches from your left or right knee. The trim wheel moves as electric trim on the yoke is applied, rarely does it move more than 3 or 4 seconds at a time. Anything more would get my attention.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 5, 2019 at 2:25 pm Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster(s)
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by fly18725

Non sequitur.

You can rigorously design and test and airplane only to discover flaws after it enters operation. It is not possible to be 100% safe. You learn from the problems, make changes so they don’t happen again, and move on. This doesn’t excuse the crashes or diminish the lives lost but it’s an extreme position where everything has to be safe or must not exist.
It's 2019, not 1959. We have computer simulations unthinkable even 20 years ago. Wireframe construction unthinkable 50 years ago. I absolutely demand a much higher level of safety today than a decade ago or a half century ago.

Boeing made the conscious decision that they could get by, and make MORE MONEY, by cheating the design of the old 737. That's not as safety conscious as they could be or should be. Full stop.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 5, 2019 at 2:23 pm Reason: quote update to reflect Moderator edit
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
It's 2019, not 1959. We have computer simulations unthinkable even 20 years ago. Wireframe construction unthinkable 50 years ago. I absolutely demand a much higher level of safety today than a decade ago or a half century ago.

Boeing made the conscious decision that they could get by, and make MORE MONEY, by cheating the design of the old 737. That's not as safety conscious as they could be or should be. Full stop.
Sorry but that's a fantasy world. Yes, we can mod/sim all sorts of things today and still wind up surprised that the simulations don't live up to the real world. I would lay great odds that Boeing did a ton of computer simullations in the process of of both desiging the mods that led to the MAX and in building the software to make it feel like an NG when under manual control. Of course, I don't know if they ever saw these kinds of results in their sims and they probably won't (yet) release information on what exactly they saw in design sims or computer-aided testing but I'm sure that will come out.

Computer simulations are only as good as the imagination AND coding capability of the simulator -- and are often quite worse. I'll bet Tesla never bothered to simulate a driver watching a movie on his phone while letting the automobile self-navigate. You can do a wonderful photorealistic simulation if you want to shoot a movie. That is NOT the same as simulating performance with 5000 different variables at play.

It's one thing to say say Boeing missed something in their design. It's a whole other thing to charge they beta-test the product with passengers.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I absolutely demand a much higher level of safety today than a decade ago or a half century ago.
And you're getting it.

Look up some statistics on things that are likely to kill you. Even including the MAX crashes, many things you do in your daily life are far, far more likely to kill you, unless you actually live aboard a 737 max and never leave it. Even then, you'll probably go from heart disease first because you probably wouldn't get much exercise living aboard a plane.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by LIH
I have an uncle who is the CEO of a parts manufacturer that is in the supply chain for the GE engines on the MAX and they've been told that there are zero plans to alter production for the foreseeable future.
this just in...

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/05/busin...cut/index.html

Boeing is cutting its 737 Max production rate as the company works to return the plane to flight.

"We have decided to temporarily move from a production rate of 52 airplanes per month to 42 airplanes per month starting in mid-April," CEO Dennis Muilenburg said in a statement Friday.
Muilenburg was talking about the company's entire 737 production system, which includes more than just the Max line of jets. But most are Max planes.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chrisl137
And you're getting it.

Look up some statistics on things that are likely to kill you. Even including the MAX crashes, many things you do in your daily life are far, far more likely to kill you, unless you actually live aboard a 737 max and never leave it. Even then, you'll probably go from heart disease first because you probably wouldn't get much exercise living aboard a plane.
I freely admit that I walk through the world not as Spock, but more as McCoy. <shrugs>

I've OFTEN quoted the safety record of air travel to nervous friends. My focus here is quite specifically on the 737MAX. All the info I'm reading so far leads me to the conclusion that Boeing dropped the ball on this particular model. It should have been a completely new type certification. Simulator training should have been provided. MCAS should have been more clearly explained. And yes, because 350 humans died after first being subjected to minutes of sheer terror, the EFFECT is that Boeing beta tested on passengers. (Of course no one sat in a room and said, "let's get this rushed out, if it crashes, we'll learn then.")
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:31 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Ya, believe AS has some unfilled 737-900 ordets and there are probably others.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
I'll bet Tesla never bothered to simulate a driver watching a movie on his phone while letting the automobile self-navigate.
If a Tesla makes an error, it results in the death of 1 or 3 or 5 people. If a passenger jet makes an error, 150 or 300 or 500 people die. That definitely calculates into any risk assessment and MUST increase the focus on safety first.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
There was radical change a long time ago as well. Take a look at a 737-300 vs a -200. Radical stretch / change from the cigar engines to the then larger forward weighted ones used until the Max.

And the 737-200 had its own flaws. Very prone to pitch up - was a factor in the stall that led to the Air Florida crash in DC (and also one as recently as 2012 in Pakistan). Pilots ultimately responsible, and a sensor was also involved, but the design of the aircraft and its unique handling characteristics played a memorable role.

Lots that can be done better - but are we certain a clean sheet airframe would be free of its own boundary pushing and flaws. Remember the induction of the Airbus A320 and its fly by wire.

I'll bet most of us though would have rather seen the 757 be updated.
I flew a lot of those Air Florida 737-200s. Cute video of the hypothetical United 757-100 at minute 5:05.

Allegedly Boeing did not get any orders for the 160 seat 757-100 and went for the 757-200. The 757 MAX with the 160 seat version, and updated 200 and 300 series would have been a far more aerodynamically stable and flexible option than the 737 MAX.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If a Tesla makes an error, it results in the death of 1 or 3 or 5 people.
At a time.

But the number of people who die due to our extremely lax attitudes toward wheeled motor vehicle operation is enormous. Approximately 3000 people *every month* die in motor vehicle related incidents in the US, most of which could probably be prevented if we improved the rigor of our operator training and testing. And while you may feel like you're in control of your own vehicle, someone else who isn't in control of theirs could easily kill you. In New York City alone, hundreds of people are struck by cars every year *while standing on the sidewalk*.

If a passenger jet makes an error, 150 or 300 or 500 people die. That definitely calculates into any risk assessment and MUST increase the focus on safety first.
Try being a little more like spock and look at the stats. Commercial passenger aviation, including Boeing, focuses way more on safety than you clearly seem to realize. That we can count the number of annual casualties *worldwide* in the hundreds (and in the US on one hand) is a testament to that. I suspect that everybody at Boeing understands perfectly well that any sort of safety failure on their part is likely to be far more damaging economically than almost any savings they might make on the unit cost of a part or aircraft.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am more concerned about food recalls due to Salmonella and Listeria. But to each their own.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Ya, believe AS has some unfilled 737-900 ordets and there are probably others.
Per a thread tracking this on airliners.net, the last AS 737-900ER was delivered yesterday.

There are maybe about two dozen airline 737NGs (plus a handful more military variants on a separate production line) left to be delivered (I can't find the exact up-to-date total, but it's probably around that number). That's half a month of production, tops.

If a Tesla makes an error, it results in the death of 1 or 3 or 5 people. If a passenger jet makes an error, 150 or 300 or 500 people die. That definitely calculates into any risk assessment and MUST increase the focus on safety first.
The irony here being that caring less about the 1 or 3 or 5 allows those 1s and 3s and 5s to add up to way more than the couple hundred that might die in one go in a plane crash.

Originally Posted by BF263533
Allegedly Boeing did not get any orders for the 160 seat 757-100 and went for the 757-200. The 757 MAX with the 160 seat version, and updated 200 and 300 series would have been a far more aerodynamic and flexible option than the 737 MAX.
Problem with the 757 was that it was too heavy and expensive a platform to start from. It was designed around performance that wasn't really possible with the 737 engines from the early 1980s. Once the 737 became capable enough to fill most of those 757-specific missions (as well as the A320/321 coming around), there wasn't much of a reason for airlines to buy the 757. Yes, it could fly a few more people a few more miles, but the extra capacity and range came at a significant cost compared to flying a 737. When doing a cost/benefit analysis, the essentially unanimous decision by airlines was that the 757 wasn't worth it. Hence, orders completely dried up, and Boeing had to end production. Even now, with significant improvements in engine efficiency and airplane weight with composites, Boeing is struggling to find a business case for a new "middle-of-market" plane which is why its launch has been delayed until at least 2020.

Boeing's launch of the 737 MAX 10 with United actually eats up a lot of the remaining 757 replacement market. Sure, we could all argue that a hypothetical 757 MAX would perform "better" than the 737 MAX, but if that better performance costs a few million dollars extra per plane to buy and to fly, for a bunch of missions that are mostly within the capability of the 737, what actual incentive do airlines have to buy it?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by rmadisonwi
Per a thread tracking this on airliners.net, the last AS 737-900ER was delivered yesterday.

There are maybe about two dozen airline 737NGs (plus a handful more military variants on a separate production line) left to be delivered (I can't find the exact up-to-date total, but it's probably around that number). That's half a month of production, tops.

The irony here being that caring less about the 1 or 3 or 5 allows those 1s and 3s and 5s to add up to way more than the couple hundred that might die in one go in a plane crash.

Problem with the 757 was that it was too heavy and expensive a platform to start from. It was designed around performance that wasn't really possible with the 737 engines from the early 1980s. Once the 737 became capable enough to fill most of those 757-specific missions (as well as the A320/321 coming around), there wasn't much of a reason for airlines to buy the 757. Yes, it could fly a few more people a few more miles, but the extra capacity and range came at a significant cost compared to flying a 737. When doing a cost/benefit analysis, the essentially unanimous decision by airlines was that the 757 wasn't worth it. Hence, orders completely dried up, and Boeing had to end production. Even now, with significant improvements in engine efficiency and airplane weight with composites, Boeing is struggling to find a business case for a new "middle-of-market" plane which is why its launch has been delayed until at least 2020.

Boeing's launch of the 737 MAX 10 with United actually eats up a lot of the remaining 757 replacement market. Sure, we could all argue that a hypothetical 757 MAX would perform "better" than the 737 MAX, but if that better performance costs a few million dollars extra per plane to buy and to fly, for a bunch of missions that are mostly within the capability of the 737, what actual incentive do airlines have to buy it?
Thse are all good points and they add up to the 757, in today's environment, being over-engineered. However, the 737 MAX program is under a microscope now and people may come to view it as under-engineered which would be disruptive to the market. Along with the penalty of greater weight, the 757 has a lower landing speed coupled with twice as many tires to brake the aircraft. There may come a day when that's valued.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chrisl137
Commercial passenger aviation, including Boeing, focuses way more on safety than you clearly seem to realize.
I am clearly focused on this particular model of 737.

That we can count the number of annual casualties *worldwide* in the hundreds (and in the US on one hand) is a testament to that.
Meaning that this single model of aircraft is responsible for 30-50% of all air fatalities worldwide in the last 12 months. @:-)

I suspect that everybody at Boeing understands perfectly well that any sort of safety failure on their part is likely to be far more damaging economically than almost any savings they might make on the unit cost of a part or aircraft.
Well, sure - they do now. How about after the Lion Air crash? Are you telling me there was absolutely nothing Boeing could do to prevent the Ethiopian air crash?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 5, 2019 at 5:33 pm Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster(s)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.