Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2021, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the archive thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1960195-b737max-cleared-faa-resume-passenger-flights-when-will-ua-max-flights-resume.html

Thread Topic
The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
READ BEFORE POSTING

Once again many posters in this thread have forgotten the FT rules and resorted to "Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming " and other non-collegial, non-civil discourse. This is not allowed.

Posters appear to be talking at others, talking about others, not discussing the core issues. Repeating the same statements, saying the same thing LOUDER is not civil discourse. These problems are not with one poster, they are not just one point of view, ...

As useful as some discussion here has been, continuing rules violations will lead to suspensions and thread closure. Please think about that before posting.

The purpose of FT is to be an informative forum that, in this case, enables the UA flyer to enhance their travel experience. There are other forums for different types of discussions. This thread was had wide latitude but that latitude is being abused.

Bottom line, if you can not stay within the FT rules and the forum's topic areas, please do not post.
And before posting, ask if you are bringing new contributing information to the discussion -- not just repeating previous points, then please do not post.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This thread has engendered some strongly felt opinions and a great tendency to wander into many peripherally related topics. By all normal FT moderation standards, this thread would have been permanently closed long ago ( and numerous members receiving disciplinary actions).

However, given the importance of the subject, the UA Moderators have tried to host this discussion but odd here as UA is not the top 1 or 2 or 3 for MAX among North America carriers. However, some have allowed their passion and non-UA related opinions to repeatedly disrupt this discussion.

The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Discussion of Boeing's culture or the impact on Boeing's future is not in scope. Nor is comments on restructuring the regulatory process. Neither is the impacts on COVID on the general air industry -- those are not UA specific and are better discussed elsewhere. And for discussion of UA's future, there is a separate thread.

Additionally repeated postings of essentially the same content should not happen nor unnecessarily inflammatory posts. And of course, the rest of FT posting rules apply including discuss the issue and not the posters.

The Moderator team feels there is a reason / need for this thread but it has been exhausting to have to repeated re-focus the discussion -- don't be the reason this thread is permanently closed ( and get yourself in disciplinary problems).

Stick to the relevant topic which is (repeating myself)

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

United does not fly the 737 MAX 8 that has been involved in two recent crashes, but it does operate the 737 MAX 9.

How to tell if your flight is scheduled to be operated by the MAX 9:

View your reservation or flight status page, either on the web or on the app. United lists the entire aircraft type. Every flight that is scheduled to be on the 737 MAX will say "Boeing 737 MAX 9." If you see anything else -- for example, "Boeing 737-900," it is not scheduled to be a MAX at this time.

The same is true in search results and anywhere else on the United site.

For advanced users: UA uses the three letter IATA identifier 7M9 for the 737 MAX 9.

All 737 MAX aircraft worldwide (MAX 8, MAX 9, and MAX 10) are currently grounded.

Print Wikipost

B737MAX Recertification - Archive

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Meaning they don't have to spend any money on training and no different certification.

Which has led us to two similar crashes in five months.
It is a different certification already. The new training being recommended is still minimal so it is hard to argue that was a motivation for the MCAS system.

You also don’t know that MCAS led to either crash. At this point, it is simply confirmed as a contributor to one.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:52 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by mduell
Again, as with many others, you've got cause and effect backward. The aircraft is certifiable without MCAS; MCAS is not required due to a "fundamental issue with engine airframe integration" period.
"Certifiable" similar to " Safe" or " met all requirements" all on the slippery slope of just enough or all they could do.

I am certain w/o MCAS the new bigger engines and where they are place is still capable and "safe." Having talked with a UA pilot that has decades flying 737, 757, 767 and now 787 I trust his take on the evolution and additions that were made to the venerable design. I simply don't buy that a airframe designed in the 60's for 1-2 hour hops and then stretched and modified and improved and now capable of 3-5 hour tran-atlantic is / was the best BA could do. Compromises were made and yes likely w/o MCAS it could be flown, but really how much training would AA/UA/WN/AS pilot needs, how did it do at the envelop corners at takeoff ( heavy, near stall, 100% thrust and extreme emergency response during extreme flying corners ) likely compromised and better like the latest very un aerodynamic stealth planes that need complex software too. Sometimes engineering band-aids ontop of band-aids can unravel in strange ways, believe me, I've seen it too many times. Sadly in this case hundreds of people died before the lessons were learned, but isn't this how it always end up, all okay till it isn't in the name of "judgement."
Old Mar 28, 2019, 4:17 pm

My first flight on a 737 was on United almost 50 years ago. It had those narrow long tubular engines (balanced under the wing & extending beyond both the front & back of the wing"s edge) and the plane sat close to the ground. I never imagined I would be flying on a 737 long after production on the more modern 757 & 767 ceased. Why would Boeing make the old MCAS so robust if it felt it wasn't needed? Only actual extensive flight testing and operation of the737 MAX over time will resolve many of the concerns with the 737 Max.

Last edited by BF263533; Mar 28, 2019 at 6:12 pm
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
bbc.co.uk says the MCAS triggered on the Ethiopian jet.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by fly18725
You also don’t know that MCAS led to either crash. At this point, it is simply confirmed as a contributor to one.
Now confirmed as a contributor to both. @:-)
Old Mar 29, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by chipmaster
"Certifiable" similar to " Safe" or " met all requirements" all on the slippery slope of just enough or all they could do.

I am certain w/o MCAS the new bigger engines and where they are place is still capable and "safe." Having talked with a UA pilot that has decades flying 737, 757, 767 and now 787 I trust his take on the evolution and additions that were made to the venerable design. I simply don't buy that a airframe designed in the 60's for 1-2 hour hops and then stretched and modified and improved and now capable of 3-5 hour tran-atlantic is / was the best BA could do. Compromises were made and yes likely w/o MCAS it could be flown, but really how much training would AA/UA/WN/AS pilot needs, how did it do at the envelop corners at takeoff ( heavy, near stall, 100% thrust and extreme emergency response during extreme flying corners ) likely compromised and better like the latest very un aerodynamic stealth planes that need complex software too. Sometimes engineering band-aids ontop of band-aids can unravel in strange ways, believe me, I've seen it too many times. Sadly in this case hundreds of people died before the lessons were learned, but isn't this how it always end up, all okay till it isn't in the name of "judgement."
This nails the "root cause" ^ In search of higher profit margins, Boeing elected to reduce staff levels and off-shore/out-source much of the design work on the 787. Part of this was sticking it to the Unions who had just made Boeing pay up... This blew up big time in the 787 business disaster (resulting in delays and extra costs so expensive that Boeing will never recoop its investment) but also - now we know worse - caused Boeing to delay investing in a new narrow-body. Then caught napping by Airbus's neo announcement, but still unwilling (or frankly unable, lacking the engineering resources, as a result of earlier staff cuts) to invest, Boeing sat on its hands until American announced it was buying the neo/A321. Just like when United did the same thing (with its A321/A319 order) Boeing finally sprang into action, but with a sense of crisis.

Faced with an outdated design, Boeing had to make major changes to the outdated airframe which compromised how it flew in fundamental ways. This would require retraining, simulators, etc. All of this would substantially increase the cost for operators. It was not that the MAX was unsafe, it was that it did not perform the same way, and had a few unpleasant aerodynamic characteristics, and as such pilots needed to know how it was different and how to fly it in situations at the margins.

But the business case for the MAX did not work with re-training, not to mention that Boeing would have to design a simulator, which would have pushed back launch of the MAX by something like a year. Retraining and delay would cause certain 737 operators to opt for the neo.

So Boeing slapped a band-aid on in the MCAS system, and adding the the problems did a crappy crappy job of it (single sensor, no disagree or warning system, allowing substantial trim movement, and finally allowing the system to re-trigger every 30 seconds, overriding pilot commands) and to top it off provided no training whatsoever on what the MCAS system did.

Now we know that two crashes, with over 300 dead were caused by the MCAS system. Boeing continued to deny and try to evade a fix, and got its regulator in its corner (whether it did so corruptly is now a subject of investigation) until the rest of the world called Boeing/FAA's B.S.

Those who said that the MAX should not be grounded were wrong (as this mornings news shows). And Boeing really undermined its reputation for building safe airplanes. This problem on the MAX will be fixed (the MCAS system will be fixed and pilots will be trained to know what the system is doing so they can know to override it and how, if need be) but this all does undercut my faith in Boeing's engineering and at this point I have zero faith they will put safety over profits, or that the FAA will make them do so.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BB2220
It the pilot doesn’t have the presence of mind to disconnect a system that is fighting him, especially after receiving recent training to do so, is some technical data going to save them at that point?
I haven't read thru all the pages on this thread yet but I came across a video today of a pilot demonstrating the runaway stabilizer procedure in a 737 simulator. It's pretty enlightening to see the actual procedure in action and what pilots have to do in order to diagnose and resolve an issue in real time. From what I've read, the Ethiopian pilots had less than 40 seconds to respond prior to impact. In the video, the pilots took almost 2 minutes to recognize and declare runaway stab and then hit the manual cutout switch. It then took another 20-30 seconds just to manually adjust the stabilizer wheels. I don't see how it would be possible for any pilot to react in a similar manner in less than a minute at low altitude regardless of training.

(simulator video starts at 16:50. The rest of the video is the pilot describing pitch, elevators and stabilizers in layman's terms)
Old Mar 29, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by BF263533
My first flight on a 737 was on United almost 50 years ago. It had those narrow long tubular engines (balanced under the wing & extending beyond both the front & back of the wing"s edge) and the plane sat close to the ground. I never imagined I would be flying on a 737 long after production on the more modern 757 & 767 ceased. Why would Boeing make the old MCAS so robust if it felt it wasn't needed? Only actual extensive flight testing and operation of the737 MAX over time will resolve many of the concerns with the 737 Max.
They can test and operate the 737 MAX without me in the passenger seat. Thanks but no thanks.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: UA 1k, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by spin88
This nails the "root cause" ^ In search of higher profit margins, Boeing elected to reduce staff levels and off-shore/out-source much of the design work on the 787. Part of this was sticking it to the Unions who had just made Boeing pay up... This blew up big time in the 787 business disaster (resulting in delays and extra costs so expensive that Boeing will never recoop its investment) but also - now we know worse - caused Boeing to delay investing in a new narrow-body. Then caught napping by Airbus's neo announcement, but still unwilling (or frankly unable, lacking the engineering resources, as a result of earlier staff cuts) to invest, Boeing sat on its hands until American announced it was buying the neo/A321. Just like when United did the same thing (with its A321/A319 order) Boeing finally sprang into action, but with a sense of crisis.

Faced with an outdated design, Boeing had to make major changes to the outdated airframe which compromised how it flew in fundamental ways. This would require retraining, simulators, etc. All of this would substantially increase the cost for operators. It was not that the MAX was unsafe, it was that it did not perform the same way, and had a few unpleasant aerodynamic characteristics, and as such pilots needed to know how it was different and how to fly it in situations at the margins.

But the business case for the MAX did not work with re-training, not to mention that Boeing would have to design a simulator, which would have pushed back launch of the MAX by something like a year. Retraining and delay would cause certain 737 operators to opt for the neo.

So Boeing slapped a band-aid on in the MCAS system, and adding the the problems did a crappy crappy job of it (single sensor, no disagree or warning system, allowing substantial trim movement, and finally allowing the system to re-trigger every 30 seconds, overriding pilot commands) and to top it off provided no training whatsoever on what the MCAS system did.

Now we know that two crashes, with over 300 dead were caused by the MCAS system. Boeing continued to deny and try to evade a fix, and got its regulator in its corner (whether it did so corruptly is now a subject of investigation) until the rest of the world called Boeing/FAA's B.S.

Those who said that the MAX should not be grounded were wrong (as this mornings news shows). And Boeing really undermined its reputation for building safe airplanes. This problem on the MAX will be fixed (the MCAS system will be fixed and pilots will be trained to know what the system is doing so they can know to override it and how, if need be) but this all does undercut my faith in Boeing's engineering and at this point I have zero faith they will put safety over profits, or that the FAA will make them do so.
How is a simulator and an extra training going to fix an inherently unstable design? Engines generate more lift in high AoA/low speed scenario, leading to nose up movements in worst time. Combined with pitch up movement from the engines during TOGA, it's probably close to negate the elevator authority. Then you have a Rube Goldberg style system good for for B2 or Su-27, trying to make an airliner not to stall. That thing is not "Safe" by any 2019 standards. It's safe for test pilots and people with ejections seat, not for 24/7 line operations with tired pilots and shady maintennance.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 12:09 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Thanks,

I had a decent undestanding and the video made it even better.

Great clip ^
Old Mar 29, 2019, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by danielSuper
How is a simulator and an extra training going to fix an inherently unstable design?
It's not an unstable design. It's just different from previous 737s (like all derivatives).
Old Mar 29, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Thanks,

I had a decent undestanding and the video made it even better.

Great clip ^
Agreed. Cute dog too.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by mrswirl
It's pretty enlightening to see the actual procedure in action and what pilots have to do in order to diagnose and resolve an issue in real time. From what I've read, the Ethiopian pilots had less than 40 seconds to respond prior to impact. In the video, the pilots took almost 2 minutes to recognize and declare runaway stab and then hit the manual cutout switch.
They go through the procedure very slowing in the video for demonstration. There was apparently no attempt to retrim with each trim activation (re-trimming will work with an MCAS activation). They kept the airplane in control at all times so there was no immediacy to the situation--they had time to be methodical. If they were having more trouble they would have gone to the stab trim switches much quicker. The F/O make the manual trim look a lot harder than it is because he left his left arm-rest in the way.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by danielSuper
How is a simulator and an extra training going to fix an inherently unstable design? Engines generate more lift in high AoA/low speed scenario, leading to nose up movements in worst time. Combined with pitch up movement from the engines during TOGA, it's probably close to negate the elevator authority. Then you have a Rube Goldberg style system good for for B2 or Su-27, trying to make an airliner not to stall. That thing is not "Safe" by any 2019 standards. It's safe for test pilots and people with ejections seat, not for 24/7 line operations with tired pilots and shady maintennance.
All planes fly differently. The MAX flies differently than a 737 classic/NG. I have no doubt that pilots could fly the MAX w/o MCAS just fine. BUT they would need to be trained on it, and how to address situations that might arise and the different handling characteristics of the MAX.

MCAS is not on the plane because the plane can't fly w/o it, its there to make the MAX seem like its a NG, changing the responses so that the plane feels the same way. That was not needed for safety, nor to make the plane fly, it was only needed TO GET CARRYOVER CERTIFICATION and having that NOT TO HAVE TO RETRAIN ANYONE ON THE NEW DESIGN. Put another way, there is no engineering or aeronautical reason for MCAS, it was needed to try to make the business case for the MAX better....
Old Mar 29, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Newman55
It's not an unstable design. It's just different from previous 737s (like all derivatives).
Originally Posted by spin88
All planes fly differently. The MAX flies differently than a 737 classic/NG. I have no doubt that pilots could fly the MAX w/o MCAS just fine. BUT they would need to be trained on it, and how to address situations that might arise and the different handling characteristics of the MAX.

MCAS is not on the plane because the plane can't fly w/o it, its there to make the MAX seem like its a NG, changing the responses so that the plane feels the same way. That was not needed for safety, nor to make the plane fly, it was only needed TO GET CARRYOVER CERTIFICATION and having that NOT TO HAVE TO RETRAIN ANYONE ON THE NEW DESIGN. Put another way, there is no engineering or aeronautical reason for MCAS, it was needed to try to make the business case for the MAX better....
A number of posts over at pprune.org indicate that the MAX could not have been certified without MCAS. Below is one. Seems legit, but I obviously couldn't say for sure: https://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/...Y#post10415847

There is a cert requirement that as AOA increases, the nose up pilot command required must not decrease. This is demonstrated at fixed thrust levels so there is no change in thrust pitching moment. The 737MAX issue here that gives rise to the need for MCAS is that as AOA increases the lift provided by the engine cowling that is so large and mounted so far forward of the wing causes a nose up pitching moment that results is a decrease in the column pull needed to maintain a steady positive AOA rate. That characteristic is not compliant with the requirements. MCAS comes active during this maneuver putting in nose down stabilizer that must be countered by the column. The net effect of engine cowling lift and MCAS nose down stabilizer as AOA increases is that the column needed to complete the maneuver does not decrease part way through the range of AOA for which characteristics must be demonstrated. 737MAX without MCAS fails the cert demo. 737MAX with MCAS passes the cert demo..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.