Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Revised UA livery revealed 24 April 2019 (sneak peek on FT on 23rd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 23, 2019, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The “leaked” first shot:

United’s announcement video:
https://twitter.com/united/status/11...525993984?s=20

PDF of the new livery:
https://mma.prnewswire.com/media/876...jpg?p=original

Out with the Gold, in with the Blue - United Airlines Unveils its Next Fleet Paint Design
Updated aircraft livery is the next step in United's ongoing efforts to modernize its visual brand

CHICAGO, April 24, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, United Airlines is introducing customers and employees to a modernized aircraft livery, which will bring a refreshed look to its fleet. The design is a visual representation of United's ongoing brand evolution while staying true to the history it has developed over the past 93 years of proudly serving customers around the world.

"As we improve and elevate our customer experience, we are changing the way people think and feel about United, and this branding captures that new spirit," said Oscar Munoz, CEO of United Airlines. "Each improvement we've added to our service advances our evolution as an airline, furthering our effort to elevate and redefine customer service in the sky. This modernized design, especially our iconic globe, enhances the very best of United's image and values while pointing in the direction of where we intend to go next in serving our customers."

The next iteration of United's livery prominently features the color most connected to the airline's core – blue. Three shades – Rhapsody Blue, United Blue and Sky Blue – are used throughout the design in a way that pays respect to United's heritage while bringing a more modern energy. The airline is keeping its iconic globe logo on the aircraft tail, which represents the carrier's expansive route network of reaching 355 destinations in nearly 60 countries. The tail will be updated with a gradient in the three shades of blue, while the logo will now appear predominantly in Sky Blue. The engines and wingtips are also being painted United Blue, and the swoop that customers and employees have expressed fondness for on United's Dreamliner fleet will be added to all aircraft in Rhapsody Blue. United's name will appear larger on the aircraft body and the lower half of the body will be painted Runway Gray. United's mission of "Connecting people. Uniting the world." will also be painted near the door of each aircraft.

The new design features core colors from United's updated brand palette, which was introduced last year as a step toward updating the brand's visual identity. Blue continues to be the airline's primary color, with various tones creating more depth and reflecting the colors customers and employees see when they look out the plane window at the sky. The airline's new color palette also includes shades of purple, which is most recognizable as the color of the new United Premium Plus seats are being added to the fleet. When combined, the purple and blue tones create a soothing environment and a more relaxed travel experience. In updating its colors, United is reducing the use of gold, which was added to the brand palette almost 30 years ago. United's new color palette can also be seen in the accent colors of the new uniforms that are being created for more than 70,000 front-line employees.

On average, United aircraft receive new paint jobs every seven years. The first aircraft painted with the new design is a Boeing 737-800, which will be joined by a mix of narrowbody, widebody and regional aircraft with the updated livery throughout the year. For more information visit united.com/brandevolution.
Print Wikipost

Revised UA livery revealed 24 April 2019 (sneak peek on FT on 23rd)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2019, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by CApreppie
Snap! Wonder what United will unveil now...
Something far less exciting than the mock ups people are floating around.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
There are complaints in this thread about some of the proposed color schemes used by the [now deleted] linked "proposals".
Judging by the new uniforms, the color of the PP seats, and the rather small color choices United allowed for the #herarthere contest, it is quite obvious that mauve/purple is something United is keen to introduce.

Just for fun, my better half doodled a dragonfly-themed 757 with colored pencils for the recent #herarthere contest (not submitted though).
Pic below somewhat shows what colors were allowed, although not a particularly good representation because of limitations of the available color pencils.
But like it or not, purple is coming to United!

Old Apr 2, 2019, 6:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Please change the font and gimme that winged T. Not enough has been said about that uninspiring font.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by narvik
There are complaints in this thread about some of the proposed color schemes used by the [now deleted] linked "proposals".
Judging by the new uniforms, the color of the PP seats, and the rather small color choices United allowed for the #herarthere contest, it is quite obvious that mauve/purple is something United is keen to introduce.

Just for fun, my better half doodled a dragonfly-themed 757 with colored pencils for the recent #herarthere contest (not submitted though).
Pic below somewhat shows what colors were allowed, although not a particularly good representation because of limitations of the available color pencils.
But like it or not, purple is coming to United!

Dear God, please get rid of the purple. I'd like to the tulip come back, even in shades of blue and gold, if they're going to go to "evolution" but that disgusting purple has GOT TO GO.

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Please change the font and gimme that winged T. Not enough has been said about that uninspiring font.
I don't see anything wrong with the typeface. It's recognizable and distinctive with classic roots. Any fliers put out with that typeface can be read easily and just as easily recognized as "United" at a glance.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Honestly, I can't recall ever being "inspired" by a typeface.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 12:10 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Well, I'm glad those were fake...

But also hope that the appearance of @UA_Insider means we'll see more of then around
goodeats21 and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 12:13 am

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
Originally Posted by fezzington
Well, I'm glad those were fake...
Here here. Those were awful.
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 6:02 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by kale73
Honestly, I can't recall ever being "inspired" by a typeface.
But it was unique. Put typeface of UNITED and DELTA side by side and they look generic. At least with the winged "T" it showed at least something was done to stand out.....in fact I'm kind of surprised that they just didn't keep that typeface and swap the globe for the tulip. It would have save a lot of money and retained some of the pmUA
Old Apr 7, 2019, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA 2P, UC, Hertz 5*, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fezzington
There's already two... the A320 friendship in that picture, and a 737-900 in the old CO eagle livery.

Also, has everyone else seen the two "leaked" liveries (from two design houses), along with the supposed spy picture of the painted tail that matches one of them? Any idea if they're real?
Yeah, but not the full scope of historical liveries like AA has with their former subsidiaries, etc.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by qukslvr619
But it was unique. Put typeface of UNITED and DELTA side by side and they look generic.
Clean sans serif typefaces are all the "rage" these days. But an objective comparison of the three letters shared by United and Delta (D, E, and T) show some obvious differences. (Delta's manifestation on top)

Delta's letters are distinctly nnarrower and have a lighter stroke that United's.

Since I had some idle time, I decided to play around with some typefaces in PhotoShop.

Would any of these "inspire" you to buy more plane tickets?

Garamond

Copperplate

Trajan

Chancery

Comic Sans
Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
If they are going to keep the globe, please update it to make it less dated and fussy.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:56 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
If UA goes to comic sans font, they deserve to have all their planes grounded.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
United also just posted a video on their Facebook page that includes what I assume are hints. Namely the blue swoop

flaii likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Invisibility Cloak?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.