Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Polaris 77W vs SAS business A330

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Polaris 77W vs SAS business A330

Looking at either ARN-LAX in business with SAS A330 or FRA-SFO in polaris with UA 77W. Flew last year round trip LAX-ARN with SAS in business and had a great experience. Have never flown UA polaris, so not sure how it compares to SAS J.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by B747forever
Looking at either ARN-LAX in business with SAS A330 or FRA-SFO in polaris with UA 77W. Flew last year round trip LAX-ARN with SAS in business and had a great experience. Have never flown UA polaris, so not sure how it compares to SAS J.
Tough choice. IMO, the Polaris hard product is slightly better than the SAS J seat, although I like the latter a lot. Soft product, the nod goes to SAS, given the recent downgrade to Polaris food and drink. If UA had kept Polaris soft product as it was after introduction, I'd say go with UA - but now, I'd go with SAS unless food and drink don't matter.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
it's a wash. With a lot of extra RDM and PQM I'd probably go with UA metal, but if that doesn't matter to you ... take the non-stop.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 6:55 am

I've enjoyed every flight I've had on SAS, especially if you can get a throne seat -- I would take that every time over the polaris seat. Considering the recent thread on window shades, on SAS you're much more likely to have shades open and natural light in the cabin, which also makes me prefer tham (though perhaps not you). Their food isn't amazing, but I'd always liked it, and the service has generally been better than United's average.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I agree it's mostly a wash - SAS if you value soft product and UA if you value hard, although it's not a massive difference either way. Personally I would fly UA for the additional MP credit, but that's still a minor factor.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. Will go ahead with SAS as UA RDM/PQMs don't matter in this case.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 4:48 am

Programs: United MileagePlus
The downside with SAS is that they have remarkably poor support when things go sideways. Unless you're EuroBonus Gold or Diamond (not Star Alliance Gold -- in fact, it might only be Diamond that has the extended support line), you can't even get an agent on the phone outside of business hours.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by chance_the_napper
I've enjoyed every flight I've had on SAS, especially if you can get a throne seat -- I would take that every time over the polaris seat.
Are you perhaps thinking of LX/Swiss? SAS (SK) offers all-aisle access on their updated J product, but no throne seats.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
Are you perhaps thinking of LX/Swiss? SAS (SK) offers all-aisle access on their updated J product, but no throne seats.
Everywhere I go, in any economic class or industry, people always confuse Switzerland and Sweden. Ugh.
In2ishn and RandomBaritone like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
While I did enjoy my one J flight on SK (was on an A340), I still think the new Polaris seats are better from a privacy perspective. No doubt that service, drinks and (maybe) food will be better on SK. YMMV, but hard product is most important to me - so I would pick UA.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by dc89
The downside with SAS is that they have remarkably poor support when things go sideways. Unless you're EuroBonus Gold or Diamond (not Star Alliance Gold -- in fact, it might only be Diamond that has the extended support line), you can't even get an agent on the phone outside of business hours.
The trick is to call another SAS ticket office. Whenever possible, I call the SYD office.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
SAS has great cappuccino. Sold.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:09 pm

You're right, I was remembering incorrectly. Looking at pictures, the console is so wide that I remembered it as a throne. I took eight tatl flights with them. I feel like I remember being happy with all of them, but it's been about 2 years, and I apparently can't remember the seats, so maybe I'm wrong about everything else, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.