FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Polaris 77W vs SAS business A330 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1956045-polaris-77w-vs-sas-business-a330.html)

B747forever Feb 13, 2019 12:53 am

Polaris 77W vs SAS business A330

Looking at either ARN-LAX in business with SAS A330 or FRA-SFO in polaris with UA 77W. Flew last year round trip LAX-ARN with SAS in business and had a great experience. Have never flown UA polaris, so not sure how it compares to SAS J.

halls120 Feb 13, 2019 2:20 am

Originally Posted by B747forever (Post 30772341)
Looking at either ARN-LAX in business with SAS A330 or FRA-SFO in polaris with UA 77W. Flew last year round trip LAX-ARN with SAS in business and had a great experience. Have never flown UA polaris, so not sure how it compares to SAS J.

Tough choice. IMO, the Polaris hard product is slightly better than the SAS J seat, although I like the latter a lot. Soft product, the nod goes to SAS, given the recent downgrade to Polaris food and drink. If UA had kept Polaris soft product as it was after introduction, I'd say go with UA - but now, I'd go with SAS unless food and drink don't matter.

cfischer Feb 13, 2019 4:44 am

it's a wash. With a lot of extra RDM and PQM I'd probably go with UA metal, but if that doesn't matter to you ... take the non-stop.

chance_the_napper Feb 13, 2019 6:55 am

I've enjoyed every flight I've had on SAS, especially if you can get a throne seat -- I would take that every time over the polaris seat. Considering the recent thread on window shades, on SAS you're much more likely to have shades open and natural light in the cabin, which also makes me prefer tham (though perhaps not you). Their food isn't amazing, but I'd always liked it, and the service has generally been better than United's average.

findark Feb 13, 2019 12:27 pm

I agree it's mostly a wash - SAS if you value soft product and UA if you value hard, although it's not a massive difference either way. Personally I would fly UA for the additional MP credit, but that's still a minor factor.

B747forever Feb 14, 2019 5:53 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Will go ahead with SAS as UA RDM/PQMs don't matter in this case.

dc89 Feb 15, 2019 4:48 am

The downside with SAS is that they have remarkably poor support when things go sideways. Unless you're EuroBonus Gold or Diamond (not Star Alliance Gold -- in fact, it might only be Diamond that has the extended support line), you can't even get an agent on the phone outside of business hours.

RandomBaritone Feb 15, 2019 11:16 am

Originally Posted by chance_the_napper (Post 30773116)
I've enjoyed every flight I've had on SAS, especially if you can get a throne seat -- I would take that every time over the polaris seat.

Are you perhaps thinking of LX/Swiss? SAS (SK) offers all-aisle access on their updated J product, but no throne seats.

vkng Feb 15, 2019 11:22 am

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone (Post 30782801)
Are you perhaps thinking of LX/Swiss? SAS (SK) offers all-aisle access on their updated J product, but no throne seats.

Everywhere I go, in any economic class or industry, people always confuse Switzerland and Sweden. Ugh.

PsiFighter37 Feb 15, 2019 12:24 pm

While I did enjoy my one J flight on SK (was on an A340), I still think the new Polaris seats are better from a privacy perspective. No doubt that service, drinks and (maybe) food will be better on SK. YMMV, but hard product is most important to me - so I would pick UA.

pseudoswede Feb 15, 2019 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by dc89 (Post 30781450)
The downside with SAS is that they have remarkably poor support when things go sideways. Unless you're EuroBonus Gold or Diamond (not Star Alliance Gold -- in fact, it might only be Diamond that has the extended support line), you can't even get an agent on the phone outside of business hours.

The trick is to call another SAS ticket office. Whenever possible, I call the SYD office.

MatthewLAX Feb 15, 2019 1:17 pm

SAS has great cappuccino. Sold.

chance_the_napper Feb 15, 2019 3:09 pm

You're right, I was remembering incorrectly. Looking at pictures, the console is so wide that I remembered it as a throne. I took eight tatl flights with them. I feel like I remember being happy with all of them, but it's been about 2 years, and I apparently can't remember the seats, so maybe I'm wrong about everything else, too.