Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is the archive thread, the active thread is Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic (How to use, will it clear?, issues w/flight credit,...)

For general information on upgrading ANA or Lufthansa flights with a GPU, see Upgrading Flights Operated by ANA or Lufthansa. You actually request the upgrade through the online form, here: Request a GPU for a Select Partner Airline.

Per United web support, you only need to fill in the required* info.

**The LH flight you are upgrading must be an LH flight, not a UA codeshare flight. If you have a UA codeshare flight, you can call websupport and they will (put you on hold and] change your itinerary to one with an LH flight#.

Note that UA websupport might give you a new ticket # when you do the above, but if the original ticket # was 016 UA stock, it will remain so, and thus you will still be earning RDMs at the UA rate (11x for a 1K), not the *A rate. In case of a $6000 biz fare for LAX-FRA that you are trying to upgrade to F for example, as a 1K you would earn 66,000 UA RDM if booked as a UA flight. And even though after booking you get them to change the UA flight # from a UA codeshare flight to an LH flight, the 016 ticket stock sticks, and you earn 66,000 RDMs.

(FYI, had the ticket stock been an LH stock, the RDM's earned would be 5790 miles x 150% = 8685 RDMs. Big difference)

Note that sometimes the online upgrading does not work, and you may get an error message to call an 877 number, which is now defunct but still resides on .bomb...Ignore it and just call web support. They might put you on hold while they call LH but they will get the job done.

Eligible Economy Fares to Apply a GPU

Upgradeable to business fares include U/H/Q the lowest eligible economy fares. G&E the two top premium economy fares and Y/B/M the most expensive economy fares. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24219165-post205.html)
While UA has not changed their T&Cs, LH appears to have expanded the potential fare classes
Originally Posted by oliver2002
For C->F upgrade, J, D, C fares are eligible, Z and P fares are not.
Originally Posted by andywaw
Effective April 20th, 2018, all Lufthansa revenue Business Class fares, including P and Z, are eligible to be upgraded to First Class using miles or eVouchers. ...
LH booking class P, Z upgreadable for miles and eVouchers
Appears this also applies to use of UA GPUs IF booked as native flight number on LH or UA ticket stock.
Presently UA is not converting codeshare to native flight numbers, as required for this process, if P or Z fare
From April to September 2018 it was possible to confirm and waitlist P ,Z-class LH flights with a GPU. Confirming and waitlisting is no now longer possible, but previously waitlisted segments will continue to clear as/if available.

Checking for Upgrade Availability

Upgrades to E, C and F come from the N, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24861289-post342.html)

In case of upgrade clearing but eticket refresh problems:

Both longhaul LH segments cleared into I after being on waitlist . The first didnt get stickered, so the DCS ( amadeus altea ) rejected online and agent checkin . The eticket helpdesk had to manually update the first coupon for the DCS to accept the coupon. My seat in C was safe, since the PNR was updated correctly, just the ticket was not updated completely to the satisfaction of the DCS. Everyone looking at the booking agreed the upgrade was legit, so you will not be denied boarding or downgraded, just budget enough time
The LH GA must have called the eticket helpdesk and pointed out the * SSR remark in your reservation that shows an upgrade was applied and the e-ticket just needed a fix/sticker. See my experience above.
Checking for availability prior to calling
Upgrades to E, C and F come from the N, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too.
Use ANA or even united.com to see availability.

To check if C/F upgrades may open up, ask in this thread: Determining LH Y/C/F loads? [the help me guesstimate loads thread]

Regarding ticket stock, Oliver reports:
Any ticket stock will do.
Each LH flight segment requires a separate GPU
A single GPU can be used to only upgrade a single LH flight segment, And that GPU cannot be extended to include another LH flight segment or another UA flight segment.

Problems getting mileage credit for upgraded LH segments

Numerous reports of denial of mileage credits (RDMs, PQMs, PQSs, PQDs) for upgraded tickets. This issue is probably due to LH uses the same fare bucket for mileage awards and upgrades. It seems patience, persistence, and documentation of the originally paid fare are needed to get credit.

You probably won't get credit by simply submitting the online form or asking a CSR to do so for you. A CSR needs to submit a System Issue Form, together with the mileage request, explaining that you flew in I class, but you paid for a mileage-earning booking class.

T-10

While the original system did not allow the upgrade waitlist to carry on past t-10 hours, the have been multiple reports that this is no longer the case. If not cleared in advance - the upgrade wait-list will last all the way until the door closing. UA has not updated the text on the LH GPU upgrades to reflect this change.

Archive Thread: Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic {Archive}

Related Thread
How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers
Print Wikipost

Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2015, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by PushingTin
So if I want to plan my trips DEN-FRA-XXX-FRA-DEN all on LH metal and want to get the PQM and PQD, I need a 016 ticket. If I have a 016 ticket I need to call in to get the GPU applied. If I want to use the online GPU application, I need to have it in LH codes- but can this be on an 016 ticket? If it is a LH (020?) ticket, I won't get PQM and PQD, right?
Can I book the ticket as a 016 with UA codeshares for the LH flights, and then get it changed to LH flt numbers to do the application of the GPUs online?

If I use a travel agent, does this get any more or less complex? Work is mandating using a travel agent for INT flights.
Just went through this so I'll shed some light (especially since I also have to use a corporate TA). See my post above for more info but basically

Have your corporate TA book DEN-FRA on the UA codeshare (that should get it plated, or ticketed, on 016 stock so you'll get PQD). All the rest of the flights can be on LH codeshares and you'll still get the PQD as long as it's part of a 016 ticket.
Once ticketed, you'll call the number listed (1-877-726-7282) and they can re-issue your ticket but with LH447 on the DEN-FRA instead of the UA codeshare (it stays as a 016 ticket). This will take a bit of time on the phone with them as it will probably have an issue and they'll have to call LH while you're on the line (they had to do it twice for me). Once this is all reissued under the LH flight number you can either take it from there on the website by yourself, or let them finish (I did the later). Nothing special will be required for your return flight as you hopefully just booked that on the LH flight number.

Final point, as I noted above, I'm not sure what impact this will have on your corporate TA being able to make changes to the ticket down the road should you need to. I'll post back here when/if I end up needing to.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 3:14 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ASEFlyer
So has anyone actually gotten this to work by the typical online channgels (i.e. no call-in for codeshare issues)? I don't think that I have seen any accounts yet.
It worked fine for me. I booked a ticket in Y for GVA-FRA-MCO on LH stock. After booking, I requested MCO-FRA via UA online, and was waitlisted. Then I requested the FRA-MCO leg and instantly confirmed. The upgrade for FRA-MCO cleared 3 days prior to departure. However, I was unable to select the C seat for FRA-MCO prior to check-in.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by jmanirish
Final point, as I noted above, I'm not sure what impact this will have on your corporate TA being able to make changes to the ticket down the road should you need to. I'll post back here when/if I end up needing to.
So this is the interesting question -- does it mean that UA/LH take control of a travel agent ticket before first departure? That would be quite unusual.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
So this is the interesting question -- does it mean that UA/LH take control of a travel agent ticket before first departure? That would be quite unusual.
That's what the UA *A agent told me (he seemed to be pretty knowledgeable and sounded like he had already processed a bunch of these requests). However, when I pressed him on it a bit more, he said "well try going through your TA first, but I'm pretty sure they won't be able to help you".

If my DEN-FRA doesn't clear I'll let you guys know, because they'll I'll be switching to the SFO-FRA (no way I'm sitting in the old LH C).
Old Jan 7, 2015, 9:55 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The coupon related to the segment goes into 'Airport Control' at T-72h, at which the codeshare segment is also converted to the operated flight number in the DCS. Yes, the airline and the TA can get control back, but technically the operating airline is in charge at that point for that particular coupon.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 4:41 pm

So I went to take a look at my reservation on LH and it shows a first class segment (in O) but also still shows the business as well.

When I called LH about this, they said the upgrade cleared but were waiting for confirmation from UA (as it's on 016 stock). However, when I called UA, they said the upgrade is still waitlisted. The

Any suggestions? The flight was F4 when I put the request in and noticed it went to F3 when I saw the F segment in my reservation (with no additional reserved F seats). It's still F2, and T-48h
Old Jan 10, 2015, 10:36 am

New process rocks...

Got maa fra and fra sfo upgraded to biz from Eco.

Used the electronic upgrade process 3 weeks before departure. Both legs we're wait listed given we were 3 pax together in 1 per. Few days before departure the upgrade was confirmed. Oliver from m&m forum used kvs/ef to boost my confidence - thank yOu!

For our party of 3 it was much better than asking if space is available during check in.

And having to convince Frankfurt agents that we don't need our special meal just better seats was a pain the past. With electronic upgrades that is gone.

Liking it.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 1K
I can accept (if not like) the bump-up on eligible fare classes to exclude V. However the change should have been openly announced, not silently slipped into the fine print. Especially with the newly included V being put on the end of the list instead of between W & Q where it belongs...
Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:22 am

Programs: UA 1k & MillM
I travelled MCO-FRA on Dec 22 and successfully used a paper certificate on a V fare. (I had not heard about change in policy).

The new exclusion of V-fares sucks.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 10:44 am

Well my upgrade cleared (about T-28h) but talk about horrible communication. No email was sent letting me know I was upgraded (I double checked my span folder as well). The only reason I knew was I had set an EF alert if F decreased by 1. And when it did, I checked my reservation on Lufthansa.com to see the business class segment removed and the first (O) segment remained. I was then able to pick a first class seat.
However, I was paranoid since I never received any upgrade email from United (as the original waitlist email indicated I would) so I feared that at T-10 the upgrade would get pulled.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Why does this thread state that V is not eligible? http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...aspx#lufthansa does not exclude V.

Did they change their minds about V?
Old Jan 12, 2015, 1:26 pm

Programs: Mileage Plan
Originally Posted by gnaget
Why does this thread state that V is not eligible? http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...aspx#lufthansa does not exclude V.

Did they change their minds about V?
WOW. It said V the other day. I just upfared from a V to Q for this reason. I am angry.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 1:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ASEFlyer
WOW. It said V the other day. I just upfared from a V to Q for this reason. I am angry.
It certainly has said V in the past (a month ago)
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
Per this page, the non-eligible fare classes are: L, T, X, I, R, N, S, W, Z, P, K, O, ID, AD, IP and V. Looks like they subtly made the change and now Q and above is only eligible for GPU Upgrades!!!
Glad to see the change -- wonder if it was a change of mind or just a plain error?
Old Jan 12, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Hang on...why is "W" class not allowed for GPU on LH but it still is on UA? I have a feeling UA is about to make a big change to GPU usage on their flights to stay consistent with their closest *A and TransAtlantic partner. Just a gut feeling (I have no knowledge of them doing this).

Makes no sense why LH prevents it on "W" fares but UA allows it.

I do see that "V" class is now eligible again.

Edit: United.com yet again has awful IT and can't get their info straight.

Page: http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...aspx#lufthansa states "The following Lufthansa fare classes are not eligible for Global Premier Upgrades: L, T, X, I, R, N, S, W, Z, P, K, O, ID, AD, and IP" under "Upgrading on Lufthansa-Operated Flights". But then in the General Conditions section it says the following: "The following Lufthansa fare classes are not eligible for upgrade: L, T, X, I, R, N, S, W, Z, P, K, O, ID, AD, IP and V". So which is it United (or Lufthansa)?

-RM
Old Jan 12, 2015, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It certainly has said V in the past (a month ago)
I can confirm it said "V" was not eligible as recently as last Wednesday. Nice to see it has since changed back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.