Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Mailing Baggage Handle Wraps to 1K/GS Customers {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is UA Mailing Blue Bag Handle Wraps to 1K/GS Customers, restarted for new 1Ks?

If you did not receive a Yellow Baggage Wrap when you reached 1K or you need another one, email 1Kvoice and request another one. They should respond and tell you that they will ship you one out within 7-10 business days.
If they do not respond to your original email, send another email.
If they do respond but do not mail you a Yellow Baggage Wrap within 10 business days then re-request one with a copy of their original response.

The bag wrap can provide priority processing of your gate check bags on UX. It may help checked bags also but the primary benefits is first delivery of gate check bags. It is not 100% (this is UA ) but with time it has become very common benefit for many UX flights.

The only known formal mention of Yellow Wraps (but only readable by GS)
Originally Posted by Ari
https://globalservices.united.com
At The Airport --> Boarding and Baggage --> Baggage
Yellow Handle Wrap for gate-checked baggage on United Express(R)-operated flights, for expedited gate checking and delivery

Thread archive:

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2016, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Originally Posted by NH_Clark
Just got off the phone with MP desk.. yellow handle-wrap "benefit" still active. There is an actual e-form in their system that they have to fill out for the request... and had her fill one out for me (since I never received).

It may be just luck of the dialer on whether you get a CSR willing to do the extra effort (all of 2 min.) to fill it out for the request.
Received in mail today one (1) wrap. Was hoping for two 😔 . Roughly 9 days from request ^
Old Nov 21, 2016, 8:01 am

Is this wrap a lifetime thing? What if someone drop to lower status or no status at all the next year? Or let a family member use the same carry-on?

Sure with AA had something like that when I was flying 110,000 miles with them during the last two years. This year I flew 0 miles on AA and completely switched to UA.(was expecting to make 1k, but only reaching 50k miles due to being transferred to a foreign city halfway into the year)

although... this wrap is not very useful if one never flies on little regional jets on UA, right?
Old Nov 21, 2016, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by B_Rosenthal
Is this wrap a lifetime thing? What if someone drop to lower status or no status at all the next year? Or let a family member use the same carry-on?
I'm sure there are people abusing them.

It's hard to balance between a "flag" that is instantly recognizable by baggage handlers and a tag or some other device that expires, but which is harder to identify.

I'd rather they optimize for making it easy for baggage handlers to consistently deliver the benefit than limiting availability to some people who are no longer entitled to it.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by greg99
I'm sure there are people abusing them.

It's hard to balance between a "flag" that is instantly recognizable by baggage handlers and a tag or some other device that expires, but which is harder to identify.

I'd rather they optimize for making it easy for baggage handlers to consistently deliver the benefit than limiting availability to some people who are no longer entitled to it.
I'll admit to still using it when I dropped to Plat...but it only worked 1/3 of the time when I was 1K, so...

If UA wanted to clamp down on this an option would be for a GA to hand out special gate check tags instead of green tags for current 1K/GS. However, that's just "one more thing" for the GA to worry about when they are trying to get a flight off on time. UA probably doesn't need elites lining up demanding special tags when they are trying to clear waitlists and assign seats.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 12:09 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Gate checking is much rarer now so the yellow wraps are becoming obsolete.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by ermintrude
Gate checking is much rarer now so the yellow wraps are becoming obsolete.
Only because of upgauging between big airports*. Every Barbie jet I've been on has piles of gate checked bags. This is real life for those of us at regional airports.

* Scott Kirby recently commented publicly about his commute between Dallas and Chicago, saying that “Its just incredible to me that I am flying on a regional jet between two big cities likes that.” Look for that to change soon. (I wonder if he uses a handle wrap!?)

Source: https://skift.com/2016/11/17/heres-h...e-the-airline/
Old Nov 22, 2016, 3:32 am

Programs: UA1K,2+MM, AA Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by Seby12
If someone were to say have a yellow baggage tag that looks exactly like the UA tag and put it on their bag for preferential treatment. Would their be any consequences?

Not me of course.
Time allowing, if baggage handler is in jetway when I board I will say "thank you for handling the yellow tag bags so well, it must be a pain for you" - had one baggage guy so shocked that someone talked to him he stopped and thanked me for flying UA-and I felt he was very sincere-he went on to say they spot the people who try to game the system with homemade yellow handles, he says when they see the fakes they "forget" to bring those bags up-he says the fakes don't have united embossed in the handle. "Don't want the 'bad guys' to ruin the system that takes care of our best customers" - clearly this UA employee read the memo!

Last edited by TravelWithSmiles; Nov 22, 2016 at 3:39 am
Old Nov 26, 2016, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
I
The weird part was he had a yellow luggage wrap but loaded group 2 ?
When people lose status they don't always take the handle wrap off. They think, why should I? I want 1K service even though I'm not 1K.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA GS/MM, MR PPE/LTG, ‎TSA Pre✓, NEXUS, APEC BTC, UKBF RT, CLEAR, DXB E-GATE
Originally Posted by Baze
When people lose status they don't always take the handle wrap off. They think, why should I? I want 1K service even though I'm not 1K.
I don't think they hand out those any longer...I didn't get one this year LOL!
Old Nov 28, 2016, 7:50 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by IAHFlyBoi
I don't think they hand out those any longer...I didn't get one this year LOL!
Only one data point, but I was able to designate my SO with my GS status since I'm a million-miler. She received the yellow handle in the mail. YMMV.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 10:07 am

Programs: UA GS/MM, MR PPE/LTG, ‎TSA Pre✓, NEXUS, APEC BTC, UKBF RT, CLEAR, DXB E-GATE
Originally Posted by CopperSteve
Only one data point, but I was able to designate my SO with my GS status since I'm a million-miler. She received the yellow handle in the mail. YMMV.
I might make GS this year, I've got my "vintage" 1st generation handle that I still rock haha! Should be interesting to see if they send it once I make GS. My SO got her 1K designation as well, no handle, just the card and luggage tags.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 10:17 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by IAHFlyBoi
I might make GS this year, I've got my "vintage" 1st generation handle that I still rock haha! Should be interesting to see if they send it once I make GS. My SO got her 1K designation as well, no handle, just the card and luggage tags.
I believe you can request new handles if needed - they're apparently usually sent out only the first time you make 1k (unless you had a gap where you went to a lower status, no idea what happens then).

And they're mailed separately from the 1k welcome kit.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by televisor
I believe you can request new handles if needed - they're apparently usually sent out only the first time you make 1k (unless you had a gap where you went to a lower status, no idea what happens then).

I lost status went from GS to 1K, down to Gold...back to 1K...no new handle. I'll call and see if they honor the request.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by televisor

I have a few without any change in status, so I'm not sure that's exactly how it works. But perhaps it is an UA is just being UA.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
I have a few without any change in status, so I'm not sure that's exactly how it works. But perhaps it is an UA is just being UA.
OTP with UA 1KMP...You should have gotten your Luggage Wraps with your 1K kit this year...you'll get them when we ship out next year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.