Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is there a lime shortage again? ("True Lime" alternative)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there a lime shortage again? ("True Lime" alternative)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2020, 9:11 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by UVU Wolverine
A box of lime packets can easily be found for purchase online at a cost of about 0.10 cents/packet. They are a huge improvement IMO if you really like limes in your drink be it Coke or G&T.
(bolding mime)
Agree wholeheartedly on the benefits & quality of this powdered lime; I use it for home-made SodaStream Seltzer water all the time (although, I believe the cost is $0.10/packet not ¢0.10/packet ).

With United, it's best to be prepared, and traveling with some Cholula and True Lime and disinfectant-wipes packets can definitely improve one's experience!
higher_flyer and ajGoes like this.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 9:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by seenitall
Asked for a lime demi-wedge to go with my G&T yesterday on UA mainline. Was told that limes are no longer being stocked because of COVID. Does this conform with others' experiences? Or was a being fed an excuse (rather than a lime)?
Yes. FWIW, AA never stopped catering limes/lemons in F during the pandemic. You still can’t even get a mixed drink on DL in domestic F. So, UA is squarely in the middle. Frankly, I’m just happy I can get a cocktail in F these days. Many (but not all) United Clubs now have limes/lemons, so you could always ask for a couple to go if you’ve got club access from where you’re departing/connecting.

-FlyerBeek
Old Oct 21, 2020, 10:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Yes. FWIW, AA never stopped catering limes/lemons in F during the pandemic. You still can’t even get a mixed drink on DL in domestic F. So, UA is squarely in the middle. Frankly, I’m just happy I can get a cocktail in F these days. Many (but not all) United Clubs now have limes/lemons, so you could always ask for a couple to go if you’ve got club access from where you’re departing/connecting.

-FlyerBeek
I am definitely not flying DL until they decide to reinstate throat disinfectant service.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek

-FlyerBeek
and there’s the contradiction... must only be a COVID risk from limes at 37,000 feet... perfectly safe on the ground 🙄
Old Mar 28, 2021, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, B9, AA, DL, WN
For those that really need limes, I suggest buying packets of True Lime to carry with that are the same size as an individual packet of sugar. I cannot recommend that crystallized lime enough! I actually first tried it on Allegiant and really came around to liking it better than fresh lime (since as many pointed out, the portion of real lime given isn’t nearly enough).

A box of lime packets can easily be found for purchase online at a cost of about 0.10 cents/packet. They are a huge improvement IMO if you really like limes in your drink be it Coke or G&T.
Can't thank you enough for this recommendation! I had never heard of this product before, but used it for the first time on flights this past week. Totally appreciated it for my G&T's. Perfect lime flavor, no ingredients other than lime juice, lime oil, and citric acid.

Even in pre-Covid days the UA miniature lime slices were inadequate for a decent cocktail, and as of this week limes are still not catered. Thank you, UVU Wolverine. True Lime is now a travel staple!!
SPN Lifer and Dyce like this.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Bring a fresh lime on board, and ask a FA to cut it for you. Your seat neighbors may also appreciate in indulging the remaining.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 8:10 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by higher_flyer
Can't thank you enough for this recommendation! I had never heard of this product before, but used it for the first time on flights this past week. Totally appreciated it for my G&T's. Perfect lime flavor, no ingredients other than lime juice, lime oil, and citric acid.

Even in pre-Covid days the UA miniature lime slices were inadequate for a decent cocktail, and as of this week limes are still not catered. Thank you, UVU Wolverine. True Lime is now a travel staple!!
Agreed - THANK-YOU - True Lime is now a fixture in my 'seat bag' which is a lightweight stuff bag I keep within one of my carry bags, that I remove before putting everything else in the overhead. I keep a charger, my Kindle, and headphones - it stops those never ending stand ups and get one more thing out of the overhead before departure moments... I've had more than one person ask me about the True Lime... sometimes I get looks where I think they're questioning the lengths I am going to, but when flying a lot these things matter! Now if I can only get United to cater more than one bottle of gin I'll be set...

Last edited by Dyce; Mar 29, 2021 at 8:37 am
Old Mar 29, 2021, 8:27 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Another "True Lime" convert here. We added them to our Subscribe and Save with Amazon, and I get a new box delivered about every 4-6 weeks.

In addition to taking them on the road (it does wonders to liven up Tom Yum soup, which is invariably never sour enough for me), we keep pitchers of iced tea and a low-cal lemonade in our fridge constantly...It livens up both! Even my 4-year old daughter is adding them to her water!
SPN Lifer, higher_flyer and Dyce like this.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
For those that really need limes, I suggest buying packets of True Lime to carry with that are the same size as an individual packet of sugar. I cannot recommend that crystallized lime enough! I actually first tried it on Allegiant and really came around to liking it better than fresh lime (since as many pointed out, the portion of real lime given isn’t nearly enough).

Just ordered mine, thanks. Wish I had known about these when Smisek pulled this stunt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.